PDA

View Full Version : Learn to Speak English !

DockRat
08-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Was talking to a captain at 22nd st landing about fishing websites.

He said ' I want my customers HAPPY so they come back. '

He told a story how his deckhand was assisting in a rod that was snagged on the bottom. The rod snapped. He asked what it was worth, cut the guy a check and gave him a free pass to come back.

The worst he said is when a paying customer is quiet and has a problem then goes home to bad mouth a landing and a boat. Bad for business he said.

' Why don't they talk ? '

Don't be shy and speak up.
DR

Ifishtoolittle
08-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Ah that's true I've seen the bad mouthing thing happen a lot.

Danny300
08-17-2010, 01:36 PM
It's because "SOME CUSTOMERS" are F*ing Stupid! I worked in resturants for years and you see these people every day.

smokehound
08-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Sometimes the skippers really do stupid ish though.

Like you pay for a half or quarter day trip, and end up just outside the harbor and nobody catches anything bigger than 11 inches. Last time I went to dana wharf, the guy takes off and left a good spot full of all sorts of fish. Lots of nice rockfish and whitefish, even saw a few legal cudas..

Then all of a sudden he Says: "We need to up our bass count".. Pfff. We searched all over the damn place and only caught ONE bass. Then I look at the next boat that came in after us.. they stayed at our first spot, and ended up catching tons of huge bass.

ARRRRGH!

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
08-20-2010, 12:25 AM
money breaks language barriers, maybe some pesos would have loosened the hinges on his trap...

FishinElectrician
08-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Or maybe some seashells and sand dollars...

murrieta angler
08-23-2010, 09:04 AM
There is always 2 sides to every story.
I know where you are coming from, from the Captains side, but there are also those Captains that look at you, like you're from outer space, when you ask them a simple question and then you feel uncomfortable after that.
Point in case;
I was on this day and a half boat, we get on this monster hook-up of YT's and Dodo's.
I had just caught this nice Dodo and then went into the galley for water. When I came out, some dude had grabbed my rod and reel. The dude had hooked up to a fish and the rod was way bent. I went over to the guy and said that he had my rod. He looked at me and said that his was over there, in the rod holder section, and to grab it.
I turned around and the Captain was standing there, heard the conversation and when I asked what to do, he just said, "what do you want me to do?!?"
I got so angry, I took matters into my own hands and it almost came down to someone getting stabbed!!!
So it aint always about the customer!

There are good captains and bad captains, just like there are good customers and bad customers.
Just Saying..hehe
Robert

murrieta angler
08-23-2010, 09:07 AM
It's because "SOME CUSTOMERS" are F*ing Stupid! I worked in resturants for years and you see these people every day.

Can you blame "SOME PEOPLE" though?
You hear and see these stories on T.V. about people spitting in your food and worse!?
Alot of people are not very good with words or don't know the polite way to say something without coming off like an arrogant S.O.B.
Some people just need to realize that also.

Koontaj
08-23-2010, 09:33 AM
I had those days as well. I notice that their is a lot of favortism. I went on a couple of overnight/1 1/2 day boats and noticed the deck hands and the Captian cater to a certain type/ethnic group. I had quit a few hook ups on albacore and yellowtail last year (first Yellows) and they would service/gaff the fish for these certain people first before me and I had these fish by the boat first...I know I was not trippin. I do not go on them boats any more. I like the freedom of sp, they are firme gente. Might go this thursday for overnight.

rickk71
10-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Murrieta angler I would cut the line right before they gaffed the fish and see what the Capt would of said then. I spend a lot of money and time for my custom rods and reels. I would be really pissed if someone who I dont know just grabs what ever rod and reel he wants. What happens next if he snaps your rod or loses a lot of line and now you cant fish that set up. At that point you might as well open your tackel bag and let him use all your stuff. I may be a little hard on that subject, but it's my tackle and my money. ( Anglers please have respect for your fellow Anglers on board)

exfactor
10-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Its still better then when someone try's to walk off the boat with your rod! I've caught a few people doing it, and they say "oh I thought it was mine, sorry". What can you do? One of my favorite trips was on a boat where we got into wide albie fishin. Instead of over and under, we just traded rods lol. And, cutting the line would not be kosher in my book, maybe have the guy buy you a beer afterwards or something.

jerryG
10-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Its still better then when someone try's to walk off the boat with your rod! I've caught a few people doing it, and they say "oh I thought it was mine, sorry". What can you do? One of my favorite trips was on a boat where we got into wide albie fishin. Instead of over and under, we just traded rods lol. And, cutting the line would not be kosher in my book, maybe have the guy buy you a beer afterwards or something.

I agree with Exfactor, in a hot bite things will happen. There have been a couple occasions when the same situation happend to me. Someone had grabbed one of my rods and hooked a fish. I wrap all my rods black on black (crew colors) and the times it happend I recieved a humble appology. On at least two occasions the guys had the same color wraps and another guy thought it was a crew rod which he had been using with the permission of the crew so they were honest mistakes.

I also always make it a point to gather all my gear before we hit the dock there were a couple times when someone had grabbed one of my sticks. I put my name on all my rods and I quickly found the person with my rod and told them to hand it over. They appologized for the mistake and I give them the benefit of the doubt that it was nothing more than a mistake. I always make sure I have all my stuff together long before we tie up at the dock and people start getting off the boat.

I have been fishing with the captains (owners / opperators) down at 22nd St for years (Danny, Carl, John). Long before they came to 22nd St. Those guys are awesome and they always have worked hard to keep their passengers happy. They run a great opperation.

Also my experience has been that generally when crews show favoritism to passengers it has little to do with ethnic backround. They favor the passengers that leave big tips and also those who are good sticks that stand to boost their count win them jackpot $$$.

Jerryg

Troutman65
10-15-2010, 07:53 AM
No one should touch other fishermans gear tackle period. I am sure some people would get confused once in a while and pick up someone elses set up by accident . I had my tackle box walk off a boat one time . I watch all my gear and belongings like a hawk. I make sure I grab all my set ups off the racks well before the boat get back to the landing to ensure that they don't go for a walk .