PDA

View Full Version : Jenk's Lake 8/15 With Me, Andy, Andrew and Peter

Koshaw
08-17-2010, 06:06 AM
Heyas! Just got back Literally today at 4am.

Woke up at 230am 8/15 and packed up the car with enough equipment for 5 peeps (just in case more anglers showed up).

Got on the road by 315am or so and headed up. Traffic was ok until corona/pomona or so :O. Stupid road construction had only ONE lane open so it was stop and go for the better part of a mile or few ..

Hit the Circle K market just before going up 38 at the base of the mountain. After negotiating the curvey mountain roads, I finally got to the gate at Jenk's Lake (at 540am) and found it closed. Started to set up my pole and then of course the guy comes up to open the gate lol. Threw the pole I was working on back into the car and drove down to park...

The temperature was about 52 and there was only a very light breeze. The stars were bright and twinkling-something you miss when you live in a mega city like LA.

I grabbed only what I needed for my set up and ran down to the 'spot'. Fixed up a pole and tossed it in with Salmon Peach and a 3.5' leader at about 40-60+ yards. I was actually casting farther out than the kayaks/pontoons hitting that 40-50' deep channel where the trout hang out closer to the Northern Shore of the lake. Set up another pole also with salmon Peach bait.

The guy next to me and I had to repeatedly tell the tubers/yakers to please stay farther away from the shore cause they would snag my line (and one or two did ).

Well 10 mins after I cast out, zzzzzzzzzzzzz. A nice stocker. Put him in the basket net and recast.

20 mins later... zzzzzzzzzzz. This one is bigger than the first and maybe a 1.5-2+.

Chilled a bit. and talked to my neighbor Dave who hunted/fished and we talked about poachers/snaggers etc that he ran into at the lake. He had family/friends who were cops etc who lived nearby and could get to the lake in 15 min . We also discussed the new equip/bait etc.

During this time Dave got a couple nice ones.

About 710 zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. A medium stocker.

Hit the john and went back to the spot. Ray the assistant manager of the lake came by and gave me a ride up to my car and back again with the rest of the equipment for the other guys-poles, net, extra shirt etc.

About 740am zzzzzzzzzzzzz got another small one. At this point I said to myself...lay off the fishing ya gotta set up the other guys poles and you dont want to limit out already!

So I set up the other poles and took mine out of the water. So about 40-50 min later Adam a buddy of mine shows up (total noob and never has been fishing). I told him some about the techniques, trout physiology, etc and cast a pole out for him.

We talked etc and zzzzzzzzzzzzz he got one about 845. He was excited and ahem, hooked.

920 zzzzzzzzzzz Adam got another one!

About then, Andy showed up. He didnt get a licensed but we talked and I explained more about trout fishing. He loved the location and was happy its so close to LA.

At 930-10 Peter showed up (another noob). I set a pole out for him too and talked fishing.

He had gone to a garage sale and picked up a tuna stick and a trout rod lol =). I explained about the types of rods used in salt. Also about line, etc.

So about 11 Peter gets one =). Everyone is stoked.

So by 3pm We have 12 fish. One a good 2+lber I got towards the end. I farmed one, probably bigger than the others because I didnt have my net at the time.

We headed to the cabin I had at 7 Oaks and cleaned and cooked the fish...they loved em =)

Put the rest on ice and they took off by 7pm. I chilled and relaxed and came home this morning.

Lines used: 2-4lb (ande and izor xxxxtest with 3lb 3'-4' fluorocarbon maxima leader.
Weight: 1/2-1oz sliding egg sinker
Swivel
Bait: Gulp Salmon Peach
Sauce: Berkley Garlic on line and sinker/swivel

Troutman65
08-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Nice going out there buddy. I never have fished that lake . Must check it out sometime . Thanks for sharing Chuck. Keep on fishing !!!

billy b
08-17-2010, 07:02 AM
Hey Mr. Koshaw nice to hear from you ... and great report. Sounds like a great time chumming ... and enjoying the weather. Jenks is a pretty little lake ... especially if not too crowded. You were using GULP not Berkley Salmon P?

Koshaw
08-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey troutman we gotta go sometime :D

And billy thanks :D Ill post pics as soon as I figure out how to take em out of the camera lolz.

I was using Berkley Salmon Peach and I corrected it doh thanks :D

Hometown
08-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Nice report Koshaw sounds like you guys had a great time.Owe way to get your buddys hooked on fishing.

Maz
08-24-2010, 12:53 PM
lot of good information on this site about perris lake. But it sounding like I need a personal guide LOL

Koshaw
08-26-2010, 11:23 AM
lot of good information on this site about perris lake. But it sounding like I need a personal guide LOL

This is Jenks Lake :D

bassin!
08-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Good job out there......I plan on going out there this week for the first time ot any good info for me...

Koshaw
09-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Bassin!: PMED you

etaggart
09-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Nice report - we want pix!!! - Every day I think about heading down to Jenks from BBL, I think "too much time wasted". I need to bite the bullet and plan a nice full day for me, the wife and the dog.

Cheers!

ET

Koshaw
09-02-2010, 06:34 AM
Pics!

http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab135/Koshaw7/Jenks%20Lake%20August%2015/

etaggart
09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Great pix - Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!