PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Lake Skunk

LuckyBasser
08-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Went to huntington lake for a couple days to camp, and i fished around a lil bit while i was there, and the Weather was amazing. The Fishing however not so good (for me anyway.) Lots of people fishing, about 50 people spread out fishing in what looks like an ideal spot, just past this giant flume of water coming from underground that spits out what looks like hundreds of thousands of gallons per second. Anywho, only one man caught something from what i could tell in the 3 hours out there, with only like 1 bite for me, and a Giant something, probably a native trout, was following my Rapala 100th anniversary Crankbait, and almost got it but just missed it I guess. Then on the way out I stopped at Dinkey creek, and fished by the bridge and you can just see like 150 trout just sitting in the water, but not biting anything at all, I mean I Consider my self a Bass Fisherman above all, but i have been known to catch some stocker trout, and a Skunk at a place as beautiful as this Shames me heh. Other than the crappy fishing and seemingly shocked-into-Starving-themselves Trout, The weather is amazing, the water is clear, the Air is crisp, and it could only be more amazing if i wouldve caught fish ;-)

thedeadone
08-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Not so lucky after all!!!! that sucks.I have not seen that plume of water before.whereabouts?

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
thedeadone
That would be the water coming from the hydro-electric plant at Rancheria Creek....with that much water flowing you wonder why they named it Rancheria Creek.
TTFM

thedeadone
08-17-2010, 01:28 PM
I have seen that plume of water---- I thought lucky was talking about in the lake.My bad.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-17-2010, 01:55 PM
L B ,
Small creek fishing can be very difficult for a bass fisherman because you use ultralight gear and have to "finesse-fish".
Ultralight rod, reel, and 2 lb test line with a #12 size salmon egg hook and a jar of salmon eggs should get you started in the right direction.
With the water so clear a stealth approach is needed so you don't spook the fish.
It would be great if you had an experienced creek fisherperson show you some tricks to get you started, but just like other types of fishing it's time on the water that educates you.
Glad the rest of your trip was great and I'll bet you'll be back up there soon!
TTFM

TrouTHeAd
08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
You should've went up to Portal Forebay which is a few miles past Huntington. I was up there on Saturday and caught trouts left and right all day. At Huntington, I always get trouts at the dam and by the launch ramp.
The best bait for Dinkey Creek is live WAX WORMS.