PDA

View Full Version : Jess Ranch?

Mudslide
08-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Hitting it up for the first time tomorrow with my friend and daughter. Plan on using Powerbait for trout...would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Piss on Myspace
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Jess ranch in Apple Valley is only open Friday - Sunday....8am - 4pm...
As far as tips, haven't been in a while, but last time i was there, water was gin clear....far casts with a light leader should work...also, its hot as balls in the dirt, soooo definitely the earlier the better.
You can also bring some senkos, and flyline them along the weeds for bass, if the trouting is slow...good luck

Mudslide
08-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Oh heck you're right! I didn't realize this was a weekend only pond....*sigh* thanks for the heads up! From what I have read it seems pretty easy to limit out on fish at the 'limit' pond at Jess Ranch. i'm pretty new to fishing and have only used the power bait (with great effect) for trout. Correct me for my fishing ignorance but the senkos are like worm jigs right? if i'm wrong feel free to forum slap me and enlighten me, thanks!

Piss on Myspace
08-16-2010, 02:39 PM
yeah man, glad i can save you a headache....in the cooler months, yes, limits are common at the Ranch. in summertime, i imagine it could get difficult. im not sure if you're talking about the big lakes, or the angling pond that they sell fish for 3.50? a piece. Best advice is to get there earlier, or fish deep or near moving water when the temp heats up. Also for trouting, i would look into fishing artificials...jigs, powerworms and lures, i get bored waiting for that bait bite...and yeah, senkos are straight plastic worms (Google 'em)... best setup- flyline (weightless) and whacky rigged
don't be affraid to ask ?'s....gluck man

EL_CHIDO
08-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Is the trout bite even on @ Jess Ranch right now??

I think the mountain lakes would be better (Jenks, Greg, BB).

Correct me for my fishing ignorance but the senkos are like worm jigs right? if i'm wrong feel free to forum slap me and enlighten me, thanks!

Yes, senkos are the Gary Yamamoto brand of worms.

Mudslide
08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
First time I ever caught a fish was last year when I was stationed in Korea (I'm Air Force) and went to a pond about half the size of hesperia lake. Well this particular pond was stocked with trout/carp (koreans treat carp fishing like we treat out bass fishing) and you could pay 20k won ($17) and fish as many trout as wanted. needless to say one weekend a buddy yanked out 72 by himself (i'll look for the pics) and then he and i went on two other occasions and pulled out 55+ each time....it was insane!!! All we used was berkely trout bait and it was non-stop action. A ton of fun for sure.

I'm looking at hitting up DVL on saturday but i'm off tomorrow and Hesperia is getting kinda old (i've been doing pretty well there recently) and wanted another local lake to hit up. I don't have a boat yet so i'm restricted to shore fishing (to cheap to rent one ;) ). I live in Victorville so any High Desert/ San Bernadino lake is a reasonable drive for me.

I was actually referring to the big lake with the 5 fish limit either trout or catfish. I'm used to the bait/wait technique for fishing so the true art of 'fishing' is new for me. I've got a couple spoons/crankbaits (rapalas) and some plastic worms. most of the stuff i've purchased is the walmart/bass pro selection. I'd like to get into some bass/striper fishing or anything that puts up a nice fight. I've got a 12 foot surf casting pole and a 15 foot surf casting pole so casting distance isn't an issue when shore fishing for me and i've got a nice ugly stick combo and another set-up i bought from cabelas..... appreciate the input so far guys!

boxl0bster
08-16-2010, 03:52 PM
i think a 7pounder or something was caught recently. its in either this weeks or last weeks WON.

MAN VS WILD
08-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah a 9 pounder was caught there last week from Grassy Point. This place is a hatchery so its all year long trout fishing. I love this place.

steve092
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
I went there last Saturday and it was really slow. I only caught two bass and a friend of mine caught the same amount. I talked to the guy in the cart and he was telling me that this year has been an off year with the trout. He also said that there were only 2 trout caught and that was around 1030 or so.

JAG107
08-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Last year around this time I caught 2 4lbers at lake 3 near the "inlet", they were hiding under a patch of surface algae. Kwikfish K7 rainbow trout pattern. 10am sharp. Before and after that, not even a sniff, except a largie that was barely the size of that lure.
Bait n wait might be real slow, get there exactly when they open and get your lines out on the grassy knoll at lake 3 ASAP and pray they're hungry.