PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Gulp Squid help

Tundy
07-23-2007, 02:38 PM
I bought a pack of the gulp squid for a day and a half trip I'm taking this week. Now that I have them, I can't seem to find any info on how to use them.

Any suggestions on how to rig them (hooks / jig head/ C-rig???)

Also, any suggestions how to fish them? I was thinking of throwing it on the slid or at some of the patties I hope we come across.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

valhalla_1_2000
07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
If you're looking for something to fish the slide and/or throw at kelp patties, I would respectfully suggest you pick up a few generic swimbaits anywhere from 4" to 8" and some assorted jig heads in different weights. Also, you might want to pick up some surface irons, in blue/white and scrambled egg patterns. If you go to any of the tackle shops near the San Diego landings, just tell them what you're trying to do and they'll hook you up. I prefer Squidco which is right across from the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, those guys know their stuff and the prices are very reasonable.

victor101
07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
what size/color did you buy? ive had more success with the 3" ones for rockfish. i fish them on a double dropper loop. ive tried the 5" on a jighead but the perch keep eating the tentacles off.

Oz
07-23-2007, 03:22 PM
lol 5" squid for perch huh vic??? :lol:

victor101
07-23-2007, 03:29 PM
lol 5" squid for perch huh vic??? :lol:
BIG perch... :rofl: i need to get out there pretty soon man, the ocean is calling me.

Tundy
07-23-2007, 07:06 PM
I bought the 6 inche sugar Spice (since it looked prety close to the frozen squid I have bought as bait.

Ok, so throwing them on the slide is out. How about as some of the patties?

Need more help on the set up and how to present them.

If I am way off on using them for a Albacore/YT boat - feel free to give me the bad news...

valhalla_1_2000
07-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Dude, you're way off if you're thinking about using those things for albacore on the slide or 'tails on kelps. As delineated above, swimbaits work very well on the slide, and irons (surface and regular) work well on the kelp stops. You can pick up a dozen swimbaits, some 3/4 to 2 ounce jigheads, and a few irons for about $20. Don't force yourself to use those gulp squid. I've never seen anybody use those for albacore or yellowtail. It sounds like those things are more designed for rockfishing. And oh, by the way, you'll probably have much better luck just using sardines than any artificials for both albies and yellows, unless the yellows are really WFO in which case irons are the best bet.

Tundy
07-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Valhalla - Thank you. Ill put them in a tackle box and use them on a different day...

Thanks everyone for the honest replies.

I'm kind of a prankster - I might of told someone to throw them on the trolling rigs myself! 8)

rusty6
07-23-2007, 11:17 PM
you might be able to pick up some bass on the squid. sandies loooooove large any kind of gulp product in white.

sansou
07-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Save those things for winter time rock codding down in Mexico.