PDA

View Full Version : Baitcasting vs Spinning Setup

keada714
08-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Hello,

So I been thinking about getting myself a bait casting setup, however, I have never used one. I been using a spinning reel setup ever since I been fishing. My question is what do you guys prefer, and what are the con and pros of both setup. Also any suggestion on a decent and cheap bait casting setup (reel and rod). I usually fish onshore and offshore in the harbor targeting the local species. Thanks!

Mark

heydaad
08-15-2010, 05:07 PM
I use both spinners and baitcasters, and have for 50 years. Both catch fish, and spinners take a bit of heat here on the west coast, but spinners are used worldwide very sucessfully for catching fish. Baitcasters seem to have a great following, and the tackle ho's love to collect them ... myself, I have caught just as many big fish on spinners as baitcasters. Besides it's way easier to cast a spinner after a few beers in the morning!

murrieta angler
08-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I also have both, it really is just a personal choice.
Why change it if it aint broke!?
I was watching Inside Sportsfishing this morning and Shimano has some pretty heavy duty spinning reels and the guys on the boat were catching some good grade Yellow Fin Tuna's with them.
Robert

Nessie Hunter
08-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Spinning Reels have improved a lot in the past 4 or 5 years...
Main complaint was the Drags, they are now about the same as Round Reels.
They now are competing with the Larger Round Reels for West Coats anglers.
I have seen/read of 200# Blue Fin Tuna landed on them on the east Coast.
Seems to be the go to Reel there, now its starting to move over to the West.

Personal choice, go with whats comfortable..

No Im not selling all my Round Saltwater Reels and buying Spinners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fisherman from long beach
08-15-2010, 07:27 PM
i used to fish spinning,but i switched over to the baitcasting,and i havent looked back.i recently broke my casting rod,and used my spinning outfit.i was all over the place couldnt cast straight if my life depended on it.just felt akward,for i will never use a spinning outfit again.just my 2cents

EL_CHIDO
08-15-2010, 07:38 PM
I was watching Inside Sportsfishing this morning and Shimano has some pretty heavy duty spinning reels and the guys on the boat were catching some good grade Yellow Fin Tuna's with them.
Robert
HAHA. I watched the show too...man I wish I on was on that boat.

wulfman
08-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Well i decided to make the switch to casting cause i wanted a less bulky set up. But with braid now you can keep a small setup in spinning. But the one thing i did notice when i made the switch to baitcaster's. Is that i can fish alot longer without my arm getting tired from casting all day and i can cast alot further. Plus i did find them alot easier to use when trolling to. But i always have a spinning setup ready for use.

fisherman from long beach
08-15-2010, 08:52 PM
HAHA. I watched the show too...man I wish I on was on that boat.

i was watching it also.

smokehound
08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Baitcasters are better IMO. They cast better, they're usually built better, and are real useful if you plan to surf-fish.

Ricky-Ray
08-16-2010, 01:03 PM
No Im not selling all my Round Saltwater Reels and buying Spinners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A true Tackle Ho would just add on.... :)

Mr.DieHard
08-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I have both and use both. I even have a spincaster that gets used once in a while. Like alot of the other people said its okay to be a tackle hoarder.

Swank909
08-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I think every reel has its time and place to shine. Personally I prefer my casters as I feel i can cast further and more accurately than on my spinning set ups, but I keep my spinning set up nearby and ready to go whenever i go out.

sawoobley
08-16-2010, 10:51 PM
It is a matter of personal preference really. If you are going to cast a lot of weight then get a baitcaster or a Breakaway Canon for your spinning reel. If not then stick with a spinning set-up. If you are worried about distance the newer spinners cast the same distance as the casters you just have to know what to look for. Just get a longer rod if you want distance. There are people that use both and do fine.

:Cool:

skunkmaster
08-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Each has it's specific applications. For example, dropshotting feels right using a spinning outfit (to me). I usually fish 4 - 6 lb. test on dropshot and a spinner handles this nicely. On the other hand if I'm tossing a 3/4 oz. jig or c-rig the baitcaster shines here. It's not that you can't mix this up, but each reel is better suited for different techniques.

DockRat
08-17-2010, 06:30 AM
My last baitcaster fell in the drink at Pier J. Picked up a Daiwa spinner.
I use what I got, period. Right now I ain't got squat for light gear.
Did I mention I am cheap too due to the fact that I carry the family $.
Wife has been out of work too.

Been useing a Dawai Regal spinng reel that cost $29. That is for the 24/7 in the car rod with a Ugly stick my buddy gave me. I can't see leaving a expensive rod in a car to get warped or possibly stolen. I fished 5 days after work last week for unwinding/relax purposes. That little spinner has caught more fish than you would believe, sharks too.

Got plenty of SW conventional.
DR