PDA

View Full Version : HB Pier, reports.

JohnG
07-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I think I registered in 2005, but the board seemed rather dead back then.
I ran ino a guy who mentioned it and I have been looking at it for the past few days. Think I'll start posting a bit.

Since most of you don't know me, I have to tell you I fish primarily at night. With work, family, and the other normal obligations we all have that's how it goes. I live literally across the street from the pier so I fish at least a couple of hours most days, no complaints from me!

I usually seem to target the wrong species from the pier. I think we're supposed to go after croakers, sharks, and Mac's, but it’s all about Halibut and Bass, Bass of any color. If you’re familiar with HB pier and you have seen the plastic Sand Bass by the bait shop, that’s what I’m after. Record size. GOOD LUCK!

At 2:30 pm, just prior to a 4 pm high tide, I was on my way out. The time was right for some good fishing. The catch reports have been looking good and on the way out I hear about a couple of Threshers Saturday (later confirmed) Hopes increase even more.
Daytime fishing, a real pleasure, or at least it's supposed to be, warm enough for shorts and a tee shirt, even better.

Fishing turned out to be rather slow. I did manage a sculpin, a mini halibut, 14 inches maybe, and two Lizard Fish. These were caught on a 5� jerk shad, drop shot style. All from the spot. That’s about it for 5 hours of fishing.
I was freezing.

I did see a nice Shovel nose, a bunch of Mini Macs, and a pretty cool Horned Shark brought up. The surfline was slow, but there were some croakers around, about slow to average.

I'll keep y'all posted.

bsp
07-23-2007, 03:11 PM
For trophy sized sandies twilight boats would be your best bet. Otherwise good job on the fish and go catch a T-Shark!

jplee3
07-23-2007, 03:25 PM
For trophy sized sandies twilight boats would be your best bet. Otherwise good job on the fish and go catch a T-Shark!

Either that or become real good friends with Red Drum and convince him to take you out :D :D :D

one_leg
07-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Steps from the HB Pier? OK, now I'm jealous!

Thanks for the report, and welcome back to the FNN.

One_Leg

smokehound
07-23-2007, 04:03 PM
This pier is on fire when the bonito arrive. Thats when the awesome action picks up..

Just imagine it.. Youre at the pier, just taking mackerel.. then all of a sudden a bunch of fat bonito scream in and start making all the smelt boil! Those topsmelt can really jump too!

When this happens use a smelt pattern swimbait! four inches max!

http://rs.tacklewarehouse.com/tac/ProductImages/BPBD-RSM.JPG

My favorite bonito lure!

dabiged
07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
thanx for the report

JohnG
07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Went out again yesterday afternoon. Did a little high tide drop-shotting.

Thought I'd try the 4" RoboWorms in Sculpin color. Went with a #2 Mosquito, and an ounce of weight. Nada! Switched to the Strike King 5" Z-Too in pearl white, same hook, and picked up three Butt's. All were only 14" or so but still fun. Amazing what difference a color change can make.

The rest of the pier; mini-macs, and some YFC's. Pretty slow overall.
Where are the birds?