PDA

View Full Version : SCI 1.5 day trip 8/13

fongster
08-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Just back from my 1.5 day fishing trip on the Amigo. Went to SCI, water was freezing--went down from 66 the day before with a good bite on Yellows and WSBs to 56 degrees and scratchy fishing! Very windy almost the whole day on BOTH sides of the island. Our boat got one yellowtail (10.5 lbs.) and a mix of a few calicos, some rockfish, whitefish. I got a 5.4# barracuda (on the surface iron), one bonita (3# on a sardine--my only catch on a baitfish), a 2-foot wide batray on a Big Hammer swimbait, 4 calicos (now this is fun: 3 on a 9-inch sluggo, 1 on a buzzbait, lol). One fellow got a nice 8.7# calico that was eaten by a stupid sealion upon its release. Birds were a problematic all day as were the seals. The SD boats were all at SCI too, so I'm glad I didn't take one of them as that is a long drive home vs Newport. I went with the FIBers Christian Fishing Club and they are a great group. Nice steak dinner watching the sunset in Pyramid Cove. www.fibersfishingclub.org

murrieta angler
08-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the report Fongster.
That was actually one of my destinations for today.
Robert

JapanRon
08-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi fongster,

What !! Wasn't it Fish on Friday !! Hummmm WTG on mixin' it up on the baits. Figured the fongster would be doin' hardcore artificials !! Check out some of the reports on SCI today ....... ya ...... water back to 66 yellows bustin' out !! That's fishin' I guess !!

JapanRon

Megsdad
08-15-2010, 03:44 PM
wow!
that is hard to hear as I hope to get out to SCI soon. props to you for fishing it hard and making the best of it.
thanks for the report,
Joe

fongster
08-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Sorry for the bad news--we even had live squid along with prime sardines. I'm sure it'll rebound.