PDA

View Full Version : There are no fish in the Duct!!

M@M
08-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Great to see all you striper addicts getting your fix in AV and Bako.....Lots of NICE fish!!....I could use advice......I'm using 14lb flouro, should I go heavier with this heavy summer flow?...I just want to catch a third striper down here, to comlpete my quest, for all the time I've put in:Smile:......was Hoping to hook up on a KPN, but lost 2 on bottom of duct..the last one I made the mistake of answering the phone while lure was in current I got disracted and got snagged :Embarrassed: I'm the worse fisherman in the world......self taught...only info I can get is from you pro's....... I'll order a couple more and try again.They look great moving in the water. But i've only gotten like 20 cast beteen the 2 till I lost them:mad:......anyway..I been getting out to the Hesperia Duct a couple hrs. at a time for the past few weeks with no bites.....I have to get back to work now later,Mike

cutbait
08-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Hesperia sounds 100 times tougher. Bako is pretty straight forward. "If you fish it, they will come" some yahoo told me.

We would certainly steer you in the right direction. Having said that, now is not the right time. This fall.

MarkyMark
08-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Maybe you should use 1oz white rattle traps then when you get more experience upgrade to KPNs...what do you guys think??

MM

yolo
08-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I would go 1oz chrome with black back and then next choice would be blue back instead of white if I didn't have the dough for the KPN. I actually prefer the 3/4oz and I think M@M has been using that and caught 2 very nice DD stripers. The KPN is a great lure though. The silversides will be coming around shortly and hard and soft jerkbaits that imitate them will be the ticket. The spring through summer months the lures that imitate the tule perch are the ticket as there are no silversides around and the rattle type lures work better then because they look like the perch. Still if the fish quantity is just not there it makes it tougher.

M@M
08-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the replies....what lb test line?

yolo
08-14-2010, 02:08 PM
I use 14lb flourocarbon year round on MH rod. My light set up had 6lb flouro but I lost a few fish with that and rarely use it. I mainly used it a few times when my arm was hurting but still had the itch to go out. It was nice using it but lost too many fish that were on with that.

MarkyMark
08-14-2010, 02:12 PM
BTW

I have alot of respect for people who fish the duct--I tried, more failures than sucesses..it's not easy!! I bought a couple of KPNs but am afraid to use them there..$$$$

MM

xjdesertfox
08-14-2010, 04:31 PM
ive got about 20 skunks and about a handful of fish in the duct, i've never lost a lure, 30lbs spiderwire tied direct to KPN lures FTW

Lunker1979
08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Now I'm scared to use my KPN's in the duct. I use 15 pound braid.

xjdesertfox
08-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Now I'm scared to use my KPN's in the duct. I use 15 pound braid.

i'm a person that runs WAY heavier line than whats needed for anything, and I wouldnt throw 3/4 OR 1oz KPN lures on 15lbs braid thats for sure, i use 10lbs braid for dropshotting/finesse, i cant imagine throwing around 1oz on 15lbs, i just dont trust line enough.

I'm putting together a new duct/surf setup and i'm going to be running 50/65lbs spectra on it for KPNs

wulfman
08-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Talk about your overkill on line for the duct and KPN's. I used to use nothing more than 8lb until i started using KPN's but now i use nothing more than 15lb. Any more than that and you might have trouble casting and don't think those fish cant see your braid either, even if your runnin a lure. A good knot, fresh new line and some knowledge on how to use your drag and that's all ya need. And yes the duct is dam hard to fish but all the more sweeter when ya pull fish out.

trail blazer
08-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I use 15lb CXX p line always and only at the duct,,,,,,,,,,,love the stuff,,,,palomar knot to the lure

smokehound
08-15-2010, 09:03 PM
any of you guys ever tried using pearl big hammers for stripers?

yolo
08-16-2010, 05:48 AM
The Storm 4" pearl shad has hooked me up many times. The big hammer would work too.

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I run a medium heavy action shimano crucial baitcasting rod with a fast tip (7 ½ ft).

Shiman Curado baitcasting reel

15 lb Seaguar in AV
(small line diameter for less water resistance-remember-must keep lure low).

20 lb P-line Cxx in Bako
(Large line diameter creates more water resistance to help keep the lure higher in the water collum)

In my opinion 14 lb is a little light, especially when current is present, those suckas can rip you hard and they know how to work the current well.

I’d recommend 15 lb flouro but GOOD stuff and it aint cheap, flouro’s like P-line flouroclear are not worth the box they come in…in my opinion…

That P-line flouroclear line breaks at the sight of any abrasion…

DON’T USE IT !

OR 65 lb braid (Bako only)

Line test and diameter should be thought through closely particularly when you are trying to target specific water collums…

Hope this helps…
Gary