PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in and around San Luis Obispo

steve092
08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
So next month I'm leaving home and moving up to SLO to begin school. I was wondering about the fishing up there. I've seen that there is Laguna Lake and Lake Lopez nearby, and of course, the ocean is right down the street. Any other places that you guys would recommend?

cutbait
08-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Santa Margarita is just up the road. Nacimiento and San Antonio are an hour north.

If I were you. I'd get me a kayak and hammer the kelp beds from shell beach to port san luis. Great fishing, big fish, and beautiful California coastline. Water is protected from the Port San Luis jetty

steve092
08-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, having a kayak would be very nice, but I wouldn't have anywhere to store it. My dorm is much to small and I wouldn't trust leaving it on my truck.

fishmounter
08-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Would a float tube fit in your dorm? Hey brother, you gotta fish Santa Margarita from a 'tube. This is one of my favorite California Lakes, for great fishing and scenery. There's also the park lake in Atascadero that has some very nice bass in it. A fly-lined small black straight-tailed plastic worm works good here. This is one of the few places where I have caught crappie on topwater baits.

steve092
08-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Would a float tube fit in your dorm? Hey brother, you gotta fish Santa Margarita from a 'tube. This is one of my favorite California Lakes, for great fishing and scenery. There's also the park lake in Atascadero that has some very nice bass in it. A fly-lined small black straight-tailed plastic worm works good here. This is one of the few places where I have caught crappie on topwater baits.

The float tube would definitely fit in my dorm. I'll just have to store it in it's box or deflate it and throw it in my truck. I'll definitely have to give that lake in Atascadero a try.

FishermanStu
08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
the possibilities are literally endless. margi has been best this year. i think j lit just won a tourney there with like 27 or some stupid number.

steve092
08-21-2010, 12:07 PM
the possibilities are literally endless. margi has been best this year. i think j lit just won a tourney there with like 27 or some stupid number.

Wow!!!

And that's my next mission... find out if there is a fishing club at Cal Poly.

BSalvati
08-21-2010, 07:13 PM
There are a couple small ponds somewhere on the campus. I have seen posts of students catching small bass there. Check google maps for the spots.

I have seen people catch Thresher sharks off the Pismo pier.

rabbit77
08-21-2010, 10:47 PM
There is heres there facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cal-Poly-San-Luis-Obispo-Fishing-Team/117528958259986