PDA

View Full Version : Catalina Bone Chasing 8/11

calico killer kevin
08-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Fresh off the Pursuit from 22nd St. Landing. John at the helm, Mike, Gus, and Albert manning the bait and rails, and Kenny behind the counter. Boat was absolutely loaded to the brim with 75. Got there late at 5:20 and bought two of the last four tickets. So, we were stuck at Blue 3 and 4 midway up the port side for the day.

Got bait and bee-lined for Catalina. Seas were flat and cooperative. For those that are looking to bunk on the way to the Island, get there early as there are only fifteen or so bunks. Talked to Mike and Gus about the bite lately and they said 95% of fish on flyline. Rigged up three rods on the way there.

Saltiga 30
Phenix 868MH Custom (15-40)
65lb PP to the brim with 6' of 25lb fluoro
Dropper loop with 3oz

Curado 300
Rainshadow 945 Custom (15-30)
55lb PP to the brim with 6' 15lb fluoro
Small Megabait Green Sardine

Curado 200E7
Shimano Crucial Medium (8-17)
30lb PP to the brim with 6' 12lb fluoro
#2 Owner Ringed Flyliner

Ended up sticking with the E7 most of the day day. The bones wanted bait on the top. Bait selection was key. Chovies were the large majority with only a few rogue Sardines. They wanted the larger Chovies and whatever dines you could get your hands on. Out and away from the boat.

Boils popping up sporadically around the boat provided constant action for those toward the stern and we always had 2 or 3 bones on bendo. Macks were a nuisance today. If you could not find a bait that would get away from the boat, you would be pier fishing all day. Surprisingly, seals were not much of an issue and only 2 or 3 showed up the entire day, but didn't follow us. Midway through the first spot, a yellow was hooked. Proved to be the only of the day, but the 7-8lb rat was a beaut. Ended up taking JP too.

Throughout the day, there were flurries of bonies with the occasional Calico or Cuda tossed in there. The average seemed to be one or two bonies and a bass. Ended the day pretty decently with 6 bones, a couple short calicos, and a ridiculous amount of slimy macks. Buddy ended up with three bones and a couple of short calicos.

Wind really picked up around 2:30 and there were a few white caps here and there. Bumpy on the way home until about 5:00 when it calmed down a bit. Boat was nice, though a bit crowded. Crew was nice, though Albert could use some lessons on gaffing haha. Captain didn't mind spending gas to chase down the bones. Wish they had a rotation though as we were stuck mid way up the port side all day. Most of my fish came on the short soak with a lively bait, ringed hook, fluoro, and light line. Bonies are a blast on light tackle. The last one even took me 360 around the boat. They're biting so get out there soon.

Here's to the tuna biting and the paddies filling up. :Razz:

Flat ride to the Island.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/KevinPhanSK/IMG_0794.jpg

Catalina always looks nice.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/KevinPhanSK/IMG_0804.jpg

Couldn't find time in the bite to pull out the fish, so here they are in the sack.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/KevinPhanSK/IMG_0807.jpg

JP Yellow. Pic makes it looks smaller than it was. Rat nonetheless.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/KevinPhanSK/IMG_0806.jpg

Mine and the Kook's catch. Not sure how the Cuda got there though...hmm...
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/KevinPhanSK/IMG_0808.jpg

murrieta angler
08-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the report Kevin.
I have been wanting to get out so bad!
I'm gonna thump my buddy if he doesn't decide soon what he wants to do for his B-Day!
Take Care,
Robert

DockRat
08-12-2010, 06:30 PM
WTG on the Bone Heads :Thumbs Up:
DR

xjdesertfox
08-12-2010, 06:37 PM
amen to the tuna!

and those are some nice boneheads you got!

ghetto dad
08-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Nice job Kevin, very nice report! Wow..that yellows small....still a yellow in "the counts" tho..lol

chris273
08-13-2010, 08:41 AM
good boat good crew good day on the water good report congrats on the catch

JapanRon
08-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi calico killer Kevin,

Hope you pulled the gills on those Bonito .... Decent chirashi if they're kept wet and cool. Great job on the report. Thanks for the heads up on the bunks !! Wierd how true size is lost in a picture at times with just one chance at a shot.

75 ...... ya must have been ......... really wantin' to go !! Time to turn around after 40 but I'm retired and can come again another day.

JapanRon

calico killer kevin
08-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the report Kevin.
I have been wanting to get out so bad!
I'm gonna thump my buddy if he doesn't decide soon what he wants to do for his B-Day!
Take Care,
Robert
They're all over the place out there if you can get past the macks. That'd be a great B-Day Gift. Thanks for reading.

WTG on the Bone Heads :Thumbs Up:
DR
Thanks. No luck at Belmont Pier or the Harbor?

amen to the tuna!

and those are some nice boneheads you got!
Yeah, they're some pretty quality boneheads right now. Not as big as the 15#'ers that showed up off MDR last year, but hey I'll take what I can get. Need those tuna and paddies to move to 40-60 miles. See you on the water.

Nice job Kevin, very nice report! Wow..that yellows small....still a yellow in "the counts" tho..lol
Thanks Steve. Been a while since I fished Cat, so I decided it was about time to go. I got sh$tty camera skills haha. Need to learn from you Mr.Photo ho.:LOL:

good boat good crew good day on the water good report congrats on the catch
Pursuit is a nice boat. Sucked that I was stuck on the port rail all day though because the cabin keeps you from casting over head so I was underhand lobbing chovies all day and only getting 30' or so. Would've caught more if I could get out a bit further more consistently. Lost as many as I caught too. Thanks.

Hi calico killer Kevin,

Hope you pulled the gills on those Bonito .... Decent chirashi if they're kept wet and cool. Great job on the report. Thanks for the heads up on the bunks !! Wierd how true size is lost in a picture at times with just one chance at a shot.

75 ...... ya must have been ......... really wantin' to go !! Time to turn around after 40 but I'm retired and can come again another day.

JapanRon
Yup, pulled the gills on all of them. Very good sashimi and my parents make a pretty good sweet and sour soup too. Those sized yellows are my favorite to eat. Was a bout 7-8# though it looked about 2# with my photo skills haha. Need a strong El Nino to show up and push all these guys up to Huntington Flats like in 93.:Cool:

Inspired by you Ron, I even tossed plastic for a while. Caught a couple calicos on Big Hammers and Gulp(cheated, I know), all short though.

Yeah, 75 is quite a bit. My only other choice though was to turn around and go surfing which sucks right now because it's summer wave time. I did better than most though because the average was one or no bonies. Always educated by your posts. Thanks Ron.