PDA

View Full Version : Punkin the Tourney Skunk and 57 reasons to smile!

troutdog
08-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Frustrated yet undeterred by two previous Irvine tourney skunks I had set out this past weekend to catch some kittys and try to get qualified for the "King of the Cats" event in October. Although I was invited to fish on BingJr's and/or NoHo's boat(thank you guys), I decided to grab a rental and fish solo...it seems that's the only way I have been getting the kittys to cooperate with me lately. So after getting a few things together I grabbed a fat frozen mack outta the tackle shop freezer and hit the lake. I wasn't quite sure where I wanted to fish before it got dark so I took a little ride around the lake. Headed towards the flats and made a quick run towards the creek area, but I just wasn't feeling it.

The OC fire department doing their thing back in the flats as two anglers look on....
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/AnnabelleandVine007.jpg

With all the commotion going on I decided to pass on fishing that area so I headed towards the dam area in search of greener pastures. While passing Rocky Point the local Grebe population seemed to be enjoying their take of some of the local shad population...
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/AnnabelleandVine009.jpg

While on the lake I later saw a couple of other "fine feathered friends" in BigDaddy and 2Skunkmotorwerks, Omar is the only bald guy I know who rocks a visor :LOL:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/AnnabelleandVine010.jpg

I finally decided on a spot that I had been working the past few trips only to be welcomed by the most aggressive hornets I have ever encountered. Between my flying fishing companions and a strong breeze that blew me off the spot for the first 20 minutes I started to think this was just not meant to be. It got to the point where I just sat back and had to laugh and almost left, but I figured my buzzing adversaries would be going to bed soon and with it the wind would be blowing itself out as it usually does by late afternoon. Having finally set anchor I pitched a chunk of mack off each side of the boat and cracked a cold one. It wasn't long before my rod on the port side started twitching and the tale tell sign of a kitty purring next to my offering. A swift hookset and a 3lber quickly found the bottom of the boat. I rebaited and cast to the same area and my phone started to ring. Reports from around the lake started trickling in and the pre-dusk bite was apparently going strong as everyone I talked to had fish or three on the stringer. Got a call from BingJr and a minute onto our conversation I said "dude I am getting bit and I might need to go..." A short run later I hung up the phone and set the hook and watched a nice fish roll over and splash in the shallows....a much better fish than the first and after wrestling him out from under a tree A went to grab my net, upon doing so I somehow got a guide wrapped in the net and could not free it for the life of me. I quickly separated the top shaft of the rod and tried one more time to free it from the net to no avail so in it went into the water and under the cat I had brought boatside. I knew this fish was going to be a money fish once I had it in the net and luckily I wouldn't be spending it on a new rod tip that I later pryed loose from the net! I spent about another hour in the spot and managed one more stocker before heading off. My bounty from spot #1
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/AnnabelleandVine012.jpg

Headed to spot #2 in hopes of more action which never really materialized, but it didn't seem to matter much at that point.

Jerry helping out a fellow fisherman who was having "technical difficulties" :Wink:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/AnnabelleandVine017.jpg

Another gorgeous sunset at the Vine, one of the main reasons I love summer hours here...
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/AnnabelleandVine004.jpg

I managed one more decent cat from Boat Dock Cove and called it a night a little after 10:30pm with lots of fillets for the freezer and an eventual fish fry :Big Grin:

Headed to the weigh in a little earlier than normal and glad I did as Catmando and I had the same exact weight fish at 7.12lbs, but I got to the scale about 20 minutes earlier, good for $57 (minus entry fees), 4th place and my first entry into the infamous "King of the Cats"....I'm coming for you Trollmiester!!! :LOL:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/AnnabelleandVine023.jpg

Rather then drive home I decided to camp out and hang with Granny/Granpafish and NoHo and his family for the night. Huddled by the heating element, snacking on cold pizza and telling stories over a couple of beers was a perfect ending to a great day. You'll have to ask Granny about Mike and his bear story sometime! :ROFL:

I woke up and went for a short walk(maybe 12-15 yards:LOL:) before heading home, when I noticed the foot bridge on the opposite side of Woody's Cove Irvine had placed to help out shore anglers with easier access to the lake...wtg Irvine staff! :Thumbs Up:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/AnnabelleandVine024.jpg

Oh and unless you don't mind ants, NEVER leave a cooler full of fish out when you go to bed!!! :Secret: Luckily my fillets were wrapped up tight and the little suckers couldn't get to it!

See you on the lake!

TD

Troutman65
08-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Nice going Aaron. I enjoyed the read . Thanks for sharing

BassEngineer
08-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Very nice, T-Dog...you got skunked twice before?? Whoa...!! Did I just see a pig fly by my window??
Posting at 2am?? Get some sleep!

Thisfool
08-12-2010, 09:24 AM
wow nice fish and congrats on qualifying for the "king of the cats"

ghetto dad
08-12-2010, 09:39 AM
great job homie..im proud of you baby boy ** g** hugs** lol

troutdog
08-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Nice going Aaron. I enjoyed the read . Thanks for sharing

Thanks Patrick, glad you enjoyed some late night reading :Wink:

Very nice, T-Dog...you got skunked twice before?? Whoa...!! Did I just see a pig fly by my window??
Posting at 2am?? Get some sleep!

Trust me I get my share of the skunk action too. I know the Vine is considered a "paylake", but it sure can humble you very quickly. Paying your dues is par for the course no matter where you fish I guess. Yeah my sleep schedule is all jacked up right now, working some late hours for the next few weeks so 2am is almost an hour before bed time these days :LOL:

wow nice fish and congrats on qualifying for the "king of the cats"

Thanks TF, I seriously thought I was going to lose it when my net got all fouled up....luck was on my side this time around!

great job homie..im proud of you baby boy ** g** hugs** lol

That means everything to me Steve! :LOL:

TD

Seņor.Chilax
08-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Nice job Tdogg! Congrats on qualifying.

crappiemike
08-12-2010, 12:35 PM
good report and pics TD!!! lot of the lake's shad
are really doing there thing.........

cm

zzzfish
08-12-2010, 04:31 PM
great job TD! I'll be there this saturday. Wish me luck

Hometown
08-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Great job TD seee you at the KING OF CATS

Hitts0n
08-12-2010, 06:42 PM
wtg ! no its my turn !!

Rooster
08-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Loved the pics and report TD... Congrats and good luck at the masters

MAN VS WILD
08-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Awesome job out there T Dog!!!! Congrats on qualifying for the King of Cats

FISH ON!!!

See Chris Fish
08-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Nice job! Thanks for the report. Good luck in the Masters!

NoHo ART
08-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Hi Troutdog,
i would like to know the exact gps coordinates where you acquired that nice specimen.
i would also like to know bait used, bait size, and a/s/l
thanks i advance

Bobber Boy
08-13-2010, 06:22 AM
WTG TD! Awesome report!

kewlwhip
08-13-2010, 09:36 AM
wtg T-doggy-dog!! lolzzz-
cool report/photo's- congrats on placing in the king of cats, cya later!
a
ahahah noho art- gps/coordinates and more-

boxl0bster
08-13-2010, 04:48 PM
nice! gj aaron, those cats look bigger and bigger each time i see them haha.

fishincrave
08-13-2010, 09:36 PM
hi troutdog,
i would like to know the exact gps coordinates where you acquired that nice specimen.
I would also like to know bait used, bait size, and a/s/l
thanks i advance
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

fishincrave
08-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Nice Job Aaron you deserve it keep at it man trollmiester has nothing on you :LOL:
And please don't give Noho any info LMAO his gona pouch your spot ..:Neener Neener:

Native Gal
08-13-2010, 11:27 PM
:Thumbs Up: TD,
Congrats on qualifying for "KING of Cats", Best of Luck my friend.
"Git r' done".

Thanks for the great post and pixs.

NG
:Envious:

Hitts0n
08-13-2010, 11:37 PM
sighzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! i want to fish now!

primo55
08-14-2010, 09:34 AM
nice cat!!! congrats TD!

troutdog
08-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Nice job Tdogg! Congrats on qualifying.

Thank you Mr. "C", been too long since I've seen you on the water....28th right?

good report and pics TD!!! lot of the lake's shad
are really doing there thing.........

cm

SHAD, SHAD AND MORE SHAD....tough on the crappie front from what the local experts are saying, you need to show up and rip some papermouth lips!

great job TD! I'll be there this saturday. Wish me luck

Thanks Jake, hope Saturday turned out well for ya!

Great job TD seee you at the KING OF CATS

Right on Mark, lets win that $1000 budddy! Thanks for touching base on the water btw.

wtg ! no its my turn !!

You are next to qualify dude, get out there for that last tourney!

Loved the pics and report TD... Congrats and good luck at the masters

Thanks Rooster, see you on the troll during troutat season you anti- bass/ bait and wait fisherman! :Wink: Hope you are well Rob!

Awesome job out there T Dog!!!! Congrats on qualifying for the King of Cats

FISH ON!!!

I appreciate it MvW, lets wet a line soon dude!

Nice job! Thanks for the report. Good luck in the Masters!

Thanks for the well wishes Chris, glad you enjoyed the report.

TD

troutdog
08-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Hi Troutdog,
i would also like to know bait used, bait size, and a/s/l
thanks i advance

Hi NoHoArt
33.653495,-117.842102
Vine mack, 2x3 inches, bbq sunflower seeds and a tall can of Miller Lite :Wink:

WTG TD! Awesome report!

Thanks John, lets fish again brotha!

wtg T-doggy-dog!! lolzzz-
cool report/photo's- congrats on placing in the king of cats, cya later!
a
ahahah noho art- gps/coordinates and more-

Don't be snaking my fish kewly! :LOL:

nice! gj aaron, those cats look bigger and bigger each time i see them haha.

The big kittys are on the chew, time to bust out the secret bait Ernie! :Secret:

Nice Job Aaron you deserve it keep at it man trollmiester has nothing on you :LOL:
And please don't give Noho any info LMAO his gona pouch your spot ..:Neener Neener:

Very odd.....NoHo told me he just bought brand new high powered binoculars!

Sean you know as well as I do Team Trolltoon are the guys to beat, trust me....they are Legends for more then one reason my friend! :Wink:

:Thumbs Up: TD,
Congrats on qualifying for "KING of Cats", Best of Luck my friend.
"Git r' done".

Thanks for the great post and pixs.

NG
:Envious:

Thanks NG, hoping to do Team57 proud in October!

nice cat!!! congrats TD!

Wassup Primooooooo!!!!??? You waiting for trout season to make another appearance or what!? Hope to see you soon dude, thanks for the props!

TD

diamondbear
08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
GREAT READ TD , Thats a nice cat you caught . You deserve this your time on the water payed off .

CatchthatTrout
08-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Congratulations Aaron!
I just might try and get out there to catch my ONE catfish of 2010.

Wingnut
08-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Well done Aaron... congrats on the qualifying. :Applause:
I'll see ya on the 28th. :Cool:

Seņor.Chilax
08-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Thank you Mr. "C", been too long since I've seen you on the water....28th right?

Ohhh Yes! I'm counting down the days. See you next week!

NoHo ART
08-18-2010, 08:57 PM
that's messed up why would you send me to stanford park next to uc irvine?
and you didn't mention fishin naked either!

troutdog
08-20-2010, 07:10 AM
GREAT READ TD , Thats a nice cat you caught . You deserve this your time on the water payed off .

Thanks DB, I've been trying to pay my dues...the powerful forces at the Vine take note of this! I was very fortunate to get that fish, hopefully my good fortunes will continue!

Congratulations Aaron!
I just might try and get out there to catch my ONE catfish of 2010.

You can be "CatchthatCatfish" for a day! See you next weekend Tony.

Well done Aaron... congrats on the qualifying. :Applause:
I'll see ya on the 28th. :Cool:

Thank you Arthur, I can taste the eggrolls already....

Ohhh Yes! I'm counting down the days. See you next week!

Looking forward to it dude!

that's messed up why would you send me to stanford park next to uc irvine?
and you didn't mention fishin naked either!

THATS where all the big kittys are at bro, I didn't mention anything because I don't want you getting arrested again! :Secret: :LOL:

TD