PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any info/tips on Shaver Lake?

gonzo
08-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Heading to Shaver Lake/Camp Edison next week. I've never been there and don't know anyone who's fished it. Anyone have any info on what to expect? Tips?

Thanks guys!

TrouTHeAd
08-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Kastmasters(gold or silver) in the 1/4 oz size and powerbait. Try to obtain powerbaits in yellow and the Gulp! cheese flavor. Fish to the right of the launch ramp in Camp Edison by the rocky area and just hold on. I always catch them at that spot during this time of the year. Let me know if you have any additional question. GOOD LUCK!!!

SierraPeaks
08-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I never fish Shaver from Memorial Weekend to Labor Day Weekend because it's just too crowded. But good luck...hope you tear it up.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I've been going to all the lakes and streams northeast of Fresno for decades....Shaver, Huntington, Wishon, Courtright, Edison, Florence, and Portal Forebay and the streams/rivers like Kings, San juaquin, Big Creek, Dinky Creek, etc.
Fishing the lakes I've done well with chartreuse with glitter and salmon peach colored PB. Kastmasters, Rapalas, Phoebes, and Roostertails for lures. Fly fishing on the lake you can do using the fly and bubble technique from shore using a #12 Zug Bug. Early in the morning when you see fish feeding on the surface use the fly/bubble approach, guaranreed to get bit.
I'd also make the short drive to the dam and fish the deeper water. Inflated nightcrawlers work good there too. I read in WON that the smallmouth bass action is picking up too using spinners in the rocky areas.
This time of the summer I usually have better luck catching fish in the higher elevations in that area, like at Wishon, Courtright, Huntington, Edison, and Florence. Maybe a half day trip to one of these lakes would be prosperous.
Have a great time!
TTFM

gonzo
08-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys!
We're hitting Camp Edison this weekend, so that helps a lot. I'll post whatever happens here next week.