PDA

View Full Version : I think the Macs are back

hbstriker
04-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Went on a bike ride to newport pier this afternoon with buddy, at the end of the pier, there were maybe 4-5 buckets with quite a few mackeral in them, and a bunch of shiner perch. Some kid kicked a lizard fish off the pier as I walked up there as well. On the way back, looked over the side of the PCH bridge into the Santa Ana, and saw a dark something swimming under the bridge, parallel to the current. I am 90% positive it was a halibut, and a very legal one too.

Loggoog
04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
That's good because I'm going out pretty soon. Do halibut eat makerel?

Loggoog

Fish Dog
04-10-2007, 08:41 PM
That's good because I'm going out pretty soon. Do halibut eat makerel?

Loggoog

Ah...I think everything eats mackerel (even mackerel if you cut it up small enough for them). :wink:

Fisheater
04-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to Balboa tomorrow and hope to load up for catfish/striper/shark bait. Also a filipino woman gave me a good recipe and I'm gonna try and smoke a few....

Re8elmonk0341
04-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to Balboa tomorrow and hope to load up for catfish/striper/shark bait. Also a filipino woman gave me a good recipe and I'm gonna try and smoke a few....

Smoked macks...never had it but anything mack is nasty (i think) only good for lobster and crab bait. if t he macks are showing then there might be a good chance the bones are here too.

chris
04-11-2007, 10:38 AM
i ate some spanish mackeral once on a boat it was pretty tasty sashimi

Oz
04-11-2007, 10:45 AM
wow thats an aquired taste for sure if u eat macks but like bonito if u know how to cook them they can be good.

ghetto dad
04-11-2007, 02:45 PM

I concur,spanish macks are excellent...they are in the jack family, the meat is white..very good to eat......the ones that we catch around here arent actully spanish macks, they are jack mackerel, its just what we call them....

ghetto dad
04-11-2007, 02:52 PM
spanish

n1ckxlam
04-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Mackeral taste so good,
dont know what u guys are talking about seriously
no one likes em but me..

bleed them, salt them, broil the sh@t out of them, add lemon and soy sauce

good for bonito too

Nick

fishyboy
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
ya the mackrel are starting to bite if you go out on the half day boats too.

Matador1238
04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
There were s#%t load of them last Friday when I went out on a Twilight trip out of Marina Del Rey.

one_leg
04-11-2007, 11:40 PM
I don't want to know if their biting. I want to know HOW TO KEEP THEM FROM BITING. Darn things steal my bait way too often.

ghetto dad
04-12-2007, 08:26 AM
I never thought id see this.....a mackerel report/info.....we have stooped really low guys...... :D

kissthecrook
04-12-2007, 03:59 PM
smoked mac is tasty!!!

one_leg
04-13-2007, 01:50 AM
I never thought id see this.....a mackerel report/info.....we have stooped really low guys...... :D
Oh man, now all the lurkers will probably go and slay all our precious Mackrel.
I bet they'll all be at the end of the West Jetty at NP Harbor tomorrow morning.

IslandBoi
04-13-2007, 07:56 AM
[quote="ghetto dad":7d930]I never thought id see this.....a mackerel report/info.....we have stooped really low guys...... :D
Oh man, now all the lurkers will probably go and slay all our precious Mackrel.
I bet they'll all be at the end of the West Jetty at NP Harbor tomorrow morning.[/quote:7d930]

hahahahahahhaha

I know the spanish mackerel from back home in Guam are just as tastey as tuna, it's wierd how same fish but from different area has different tastes

steelhead
04-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Those of you who are are too good to eat Mack or think lowly of those who fish for them should get of your high horse. Macks are good eating if you know how to prepare them. It it was so disgusting and unedible it wouldn't be made into sushi. Smoked mackarel is very good!

sloppyjiggin
04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
i once ate mac prep by my boys mom (viet/chinese). big hot chilli pot filled with mac and white chow fun noodles on the side..omg i cant explain to you how good it was. 8)

ghetto dad
04-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Those of you who are are too good to eat Mack or think lowly of those who fish for them should get of your high horse. Macks are good eating if you know how to prepare them. It it was so disgusting and unedible it wouldn't be made into sushi. Smoked mackarel is very good!

Dont get feisty, I personally don't think I am too good to eat macekrel, nor do I think lowly of people who eat them......as far as I am concerned, especially when i was working on the boats ( 50 cents a fish to filet/gill and gut), they taste JUST LIKE CHICKEN!!!! :D

one_leg
04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Hey! You can have all the mackrel I don't use for catfish bait.
How's that?

ghetto dad
04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
i once ate mac prep by my boys mom (viet/chinese). big hot chilli pot filled with mac and white chow fun noodles on the side..omg i cant explain to you how good it was. 8)

what is a "fun noodle".....i have an idea.....lol!

IslandBoi
04-16-2007, 03:32 PM

what is a "fun noodle".....i have an idea.....lol!

yea, and by that chuckle, I think I know where the ghetto dad is going, hahahahahaha

troutdog
04-16-2007, 11:54 PM
I can't say macks are on the top of my culinary list, but I have tried them bbq'd and sushi style....I prefer them as live bait or fighting at the end of my 6lb rig personally. Thanks for the heads up on the bite.

TD

hookemdano
04-17-2007, 07:19 AM
I used to catch tons of macks on Belmont as a kid and my uncle LOVED em - I'd give him my entire catch. I thought they were a bit oily but I'm sure if prepared right they can be tasty. They do use them for sushi so they cant be all that bad.

Lightline
04-18-2007, 06:42 AM

I concur,spanish macks are excellent...they are in the jack family, the meat is white..very good to eat......the ones that we catch around here arent actully spanish macks, they are jack mackerel, its just what we call them....

http://www.starthrower.org/products/vid ... ckerel.htm (http://www.starthrower.org/products/video/marine%20fish/jack%20mackerel.htm)

spiceguy
04-18-2007, 09:03 AM
smoked mac is tasty!!!

Smoked anything is tasty. :D
I'm gonna have a smoke right now... :wink:

DarkShadow
04-19-2007, 02:53 PM
smoked mac is tasty!!!

Smoked anything is tasty. :D

"Hey, smoked mackerel may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy....."

http://www.hiff.org/newsletters/2005_11_01/images/gossip02.gif

And before I get flamed, I don't eat any type of fish. It's just not me. :P

I'll pin one when the yellows are breezing at Coronado tho!

smokehound
04-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Now when everyone goes to newport to snag mullet... :lol: they can just use the "Hey im not hurting your mackerel" line and feel innocent.

GOD i hate those crackheads.. slapping the sides of the pier and ruining the fishing for all of us.. >=( pyramid to the head!!