PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill as bait?

dfisher
08-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Thats illegal right? Guess these kids didn't know what they were doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKqS5A1IO7c&feature=related

Just about to leave work so don't have time to look it up.

xjdesertfox
08-10-2010, 11:54 PM
yes its illegal, only threadfin shad used from the water is taken is legal to be used as live bait i believe.

dfisher
08-10-2010, 11:57 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks.

Danny300
08-11-2010, 01:38 AM
just reported to DFG

BassEngineer
08-11-2010, 07:40 AM
I hope they put him back at least!

goodguy
08-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Interesting... I was just at Irvine park yesterday. didn't fish, just a walk with the wife, kid, and dog. Didn't see any fish though... Pretty dead...

DarkShadow
08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Kids being kids I guess.

And the camera man must be epileptic. Looked like the Blair Witch Project there.

sliu6122
08-11-2010, 10:35 AM
What if you caught a bluegill, and on the reel in the bass ate it? Is that consider illegal?

trail blazer
08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
YEP,,,,,,,,,,If that happens you must report yourself,,,,,,,,,,pay the fine/bail,,,,,,forfeit all tackle involved with the hanious crime.

bayfishingjunkie
08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Laguna Niguel lake used to allow you to fish with live gills a few years ago..... don't know if the status has changed at that lake since.. just a fyi

sliu6122
08-11-2010, 01:27 PM
YEP,,,,,,,,,,If that happens you must report yourself,,,,,,,,,,pay the fine/bail,,,,,,forfeit all tackle involved with the hanious crime.

hahaha get the hell out of here~! Ill run before they touch my 1000 dollar jdm gear!

backlashed
08-11-2010, 01:40 PM
It is illegal, but works soooo damn well. It does feel like your cheating if you use them, but come one, we all have at sometime.
Still not an excuse though, follow the rules.

goodguy
08-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Laguna Niguel lake used to allow you to fish with live gills a few years ago..... don't know if the status has changed at that lake since.. just a fyi

LNL can do whatever they want. They are considered a private lake... Private lakes can do whatever they want they can have limits of 50 with no size limit if they wanted to...
I do believe this was a temporary removal of the live bluegill rule for them. If I remember correctly it is frowned upon for the rest of the time...

dfisher
08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Video was uploaded pretty recent so perhaps they caught them around the same time it was uploaded. Hopefully they released them, there is another video of them catching another one.

blackberg
08-11-2010, 02:49 PM
its only legal in the colorado river in california
-bb

RTG
08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
No they can't, unless they have an aquaculture permit from DFG. You don't need a license there but they can't make more lenient rules, only stricter. Say if they want only 2 bass at 15 inches legal to take-OK. But they can't make the rules less restrictive than state law.

muskyman
08-13-2010, 05:41 AM
that's why I love fishing out here. I use bluegill at the local lake and catch 20-30lb blues - every time I head out. It is so easy, it's stupid sometimes. Gotta love those funny laws on the books that you guys have.

Which Way Out
08-13-2010, 08:35 AM
I am not sure about these days and all the new rules, but you use to be able to fish gills as bait in the Colorado river waters, including canal water all the way to Lake Cahuilla in La Quinta. Saw lots of big flathead catfish caught that way with palm size gills

goodguy
08-13-2010, 08:52 AM
No they can't, unless they have an aquaculture permit from DFG. You don't need a license there but they can't make more lenient rules, only stricter. Say if they want only 2 bass at 15 inches legal to take-OK. But they can't make the rules less restrictive than state law.

Well, they did and it was well publicized in all the local papers and fishing rags... Said something like LNL temporarily allowing fishing with live bluegill for bait. Don't remember when exactlly it was but it was at least 5 years ago. And yet they didn't get in trouble... Hmm... The DFG doesn't monitor private waters in which they (DFG) don't stock fish. They can barely police the lakes they do stock and monitor...

goodguy
08-13-2010, 08:53 AM
I am not sure about these days and all the new rules, but you use to be able to fish gills as bait in the Colorado river waters, including canal water all the way to Lake Cahuilla in La Quinta. Saw lots of big flathead catfish caught that way with palm size gills

Colorado River is an exception in CA

RTG
08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Well, they did and it was well publicized in all the local papers and fishing rags... Said something like LNL temporarily allowing fishing with live bluegill for bait. Don't remember when exactlly it was but it was at least 5 years ago. And yet they didn't get in trouble... Hmm... The DFG doesn't monitor private waters in which they (DFG) don't stock fish. They can barely police the lakes they do stock and monitor...
I must disagree with you somewhat. The DFG does a pretty good job of "monitoring" SoCal waters. Perfect? No. But a pretty good job. Check the stats on their website. They also don't only check waters that are stocked. Plenty of wild fish areas are patrolled as well. They'll never catch them all. And thanks to our governor for re-instating furloughs to make the job that much more difficult.

goodguy
08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
You sure are thick.... You have totally missed my original point. Get educated... Goodbye

RTG
08-19-2010, 06:51 PM
You sure are thick.... You have totally missed my original point. Get educated... Goodbye

Your original point was that private lakes can do whatever they want regarding fishing regulations. Wrong. They can't. My original point was that they may only make the regulations stricter. They cannot relax them.
OK?
Goodbye.

new.2.fishing
08-20-2010, 01:08 AM
im new 2 fishing and live bait seems like cheeting ,worms,grubs,shad,antthing... like my name says new.2.fishing ... my homie senyor rambone has been teaching me alot of stuff .. its good to know how to do thing with out making it 2 ez... but 2 each there own

Hoshnasi
08-20-2010, 01:23 AM
im new 2 fishing and live bait seems like cheeting ,worms,grubs,shad,antthing... like my name says new.2.fishing ... my homie senyor rambone has been teaching me alot of stuff .. its good to know how to do thing with out making it 2 ez... but 2 each there own

You sound like a fly fisher :)

Seriously though, worms are fine. And live bait is fine as long as its legal. Thats all.

new.2.fishing
08-20-2010, 02:01 AM
right on .... legal is legal ... thanks

smokehound
08-20-2010, 03:01 AM
There IS one other species of fish you're allowed to use live.. A species of goby native to our estuaries.

Longjaw mudsucker... They are found in brackish waters around our coastline. They can survive for several hours outside of water, as long as they are kept moist.

However, this fish is difficult to find, and as you know, transporting live fin fish is illegal without a scientific permit. (No, you cant get these unless you're a biologist)

I have NEVER seen someone use these, so I have NO idea how well they work..

They are found from tomales bay, Marin county, to baja california..

Gillichthys mirabilis is the species name if you want to read more..

goodguy
08-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Your original point was that private lakes can do whatever they want regarding fishing regulations. Wrong. They can't. My original point was that they may only make the regulations stricter. They cannot relax them.
OK?
Goodbye.

I'm sorry man, you are wrong... When this was going on I personally fished with live bluegill at the docks with the lake manager (Rick)fishing live bluegills right next to me on the dock and him talking to me about how they temprarily allowed this. This was also publiciced in the OC register, if they weren't allowd to do this then why weren't they fined or told to stop?????? I'm sorry that you weren't around or aware of this, but you're just wrong. Can they just go ahead and stock illegal fish to the region? No... But can the lighten a regulation? Yes... It's a fact and I was there so I don't know what to tell you...
OK?
Good Ridance!

smokehound
08-21-2010, 05:29 AM
I'm sorry man, you are wrong... When this was going on I personally fished with live bluegill at the docks with the lake manager (Rick)fishing live bluegills right next to me on the dock and him talking to me about how they temprarily allowed this. This was also publiciced in the OC register, if they weren't allowd to do this then why weren't they fined or told to stop?????? I'm sorry that you weren't around or aware of this, but you're just wrong. Can they just go ahead and stock illegal fish to the region? No... But can the lighten a regulation? Yes... It's a fact and I was there so I don't know what to tell you...
OK?
Good Ridance!It's okay, guys! He's the authority, he knows Rick! Everything we've known is now invalid!

RTG
08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
OK?
Good Ridance!
OK, "goodguy", as you claim. So they broke the law. I hope they're proud of themselves as you seem to be. Believe me, Mr Know-it All, my job requires me to know the laws. Look up the laws for yourself. I was just trying to educate you guys on the question. Have it your way though, and good riddance to you as well.

bluehunter
08-24-2010, 10:54 AM
that's why I love fishing out here. I use bluegill at the local lake and catch 20-30lb blues - every time I head out. It is so easy, it's stupid sometimes. Gotta love those funny laws on the books that you guys have.

Yea Dave. Yall have the waters thats for sure and better fishing. I just may be joining yall soon in about a year or two job depending as I plan on moving out of state as well to east coast or south.

Cartman
08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
I have heard of people fishing bluegill as caught with the hook still in their mouth and letting the bass swallow the bait and reel them in unhooked, with just the blue gill in their stomach holding them on. I have also heard of bass taking the blue gill as they are being reeled in.