PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a campground

Daryl
08-10-2010, 04:23 PM
We have reservations at Table Mountain for a week starting Sunday. I want to leave Saturday morning and I'm wondering if I should expect to search for a campsite for Saturday night.

Is there any particular campground that should have sites available in the Bishop area? Four Jeffrey maybe?

What are the chances of getting a site at Convict?

I don't usually go during the summer months due to the crowds.

Thanks

SierraPeaks
08-10-2010, 04:39 PM
We have reservations at Table Mountain for a week starting Sunday. I want to leave Saturday morning and I'm wondering if I should expect to search for a campsite for Saturday night.

Is there any particular campground that should have sites available in the Bishop area? Four Jeffrey maybe?

What are the chances of getting a site at Convict?

I don't usually go during the summer months due to the crowds.

Thanks

My guess is you'd find one Saturday at Convict. Maybe not the best site...but you take what you can get in the summer on a weekend. This time of year is a crap shoot. If you don't find one at Convict...you'll just have to keep searching till you find something. Mammoth has very nice campgrounds (8 miles away) at Twin Lakes and Coldwater (Lake Mary)

Bosox
08-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Was in Bishop-Sun/Mon. Four Jeffery had plenty of sites. Don't know how it will be on a Saturday

golfish
08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
I have to ask. When you say Table Mountain, do you mean Table Mountain up by Mountain High? Why camp there and not go up to the Mammoth area? Not bashing it, I really like TM for a weekend get away, we're planning to go there next weekend.

Lots of nice campgrounds along the road to Rock Creek. IME, try to roll in to the area you want to camp around 2pm, seems to work for us. If you want to go a few more miles you might try the Reds Meadow area.

W have camped this area for 30+ years, always find a spot. French Camp at Toms place is an ok spot if your late and tired of looking.

Daryl
08-13-2010, 07:22 AM
I have to ask. When you say Table Mountain, do you mean Table Mountain up by Mountain High? Why camp there and not go up to the Mammoth area? Not bashing it, I really like TM for a weekend get away, we're planning to go there next weekend.

Lots of nice campgrounds along the road to Rock Creek. IME, try to roll in to the area you want to camp around 2pm, seems to work for us. If you want to go a few more miles you might try the Reds Meadow area.

W have camped this area for 30+ years, always find a spot. French Camp at Toms place is an ok spot if your late and tired of looking.

The Table Mountain I was referring to is a group site in Bishop. Thanks for the suggestions on the other camp sites.