PDA

View Full Version : SAR -August 9

teejay
08-10-2010, 03:25 PM
My nephew and I fished the upper and middle sections of the Santa Ana River in the national forest yesterday. We arrived at the South Fork around 10:00 in the morning and worked down stream from there.
I started out using salmon eggs and then switched over to various dry flies for nada in both cases. After fishing all day and beginning to detect the faint aroma of skunk on the breeze, I started drifting a nymph fly pattern along the seam of the currents. I’m not sure if it was this fly pattern or the fish finally decided that it was chow time but the bite just took off and I quickly landed two small stockers and a feisty six inch brown trout which I released. My nephew caught two stockers as well.
The bite would have probably continued but by this time it was getting late and I was having difficulties in visually following the drift of the fly.
The SAR is not the best place to go if you’re looking to catch a limit or large trout. However, it’s a nice place to unwind and enjoy some mountain scenery.

Piss on Myspace
08-11-2010, 12:02 PM
congrats to you and your nephew. i agree with you on that it would be difficult to get a limit of stockers, if they haven't planted recently. however, a limit of natives is not the least bit uncommon.....if you understand where the fish hold, and have the right techniques, it can be wfo. i myself have had 50 fish days, hiking about 5 miles along the river. thanks for the report.