PDA

View Full Version : Brutal day 8/9

fongster
08-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Got a late start with my daughter (almost 6 y/o) with lines in at close to 12 noon (ugh!). Fished some shaded trees and brush in Santiago Flats to try for some bluegill to put in the bait tank for her to play with. Nada. What's up? I also set out two lines for cats for nothing. I even hucked the c-rig for bass with no success on flats, channel edges and brush.

Onto our next hotspot, lol. I went out to 15 to 22 feet in the flats and metered some nice schooling fish under bait with streaks all over (that means broken bait balls with feeding predator fish). We baitfished them for nada. I also threw a deep crank, c-rig and dropshot but "just hauled water" (as they say in Bassmaster magazine).

Saw two guys who target crappie exclusively and said they couldn't buy a bite today but had good success a week ago.

I went back to shallow brush (3-10 feet) to try for some BGs but I couldn't connect. I couldn't believe how scarce and/or tough they were to get today. I tried the proven 1-inch piece of crawler under a bobber and also on the bottom. I also rotated thru my bass arsenal there too. So, we ended up with zip. I can't even say we had a single bite--no joke. This is the worst Irvine trip I've ever had.

troutdog
08-10-2010, 01:38 AM
I think we've all been there, done that at one time or another....it's called paying your dues. Just my opinion,but any day you spend with your child fishing should never be considered "the worst Irvine trip ever..." Better luck next time.

TD

fongster
08-10-2010, 11:57 PM
I think we've all been there, done that at one time or another....it's called paying your dues. Just my opinion,but any day you spend with your child fishing should never be considered "the worst Irvine trip ever..." Better luck next time.

TD

Meant to have said, "this was the worst FISHING at Irvine I've ever had" We had a great time together, fishing just outright sucked though.

Koontaj
08-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Like troutdog said, it happens to all of us (its fishing, not catchin). Hey! Its better than staying home and plus you had a love one with you.

MAVERICK27
08-12-2010, 12:22 AM
It's time on the water! The wide open days are from the hard earned days like the one you had. Thanks for sharing, and like they said "we've all been there" now matter how good you are and how many baits you throw.