PDA

View Full Version : First spinnerbait fish of the year, just under Nine Pounds, Meow

SDDave
08-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Been thinking about all those weeds down at the Lagoon and thought that a buzzbait or spinnerbait could be the deal.
So went Saturday evening for a little prefish, ended up fishing a jig for a couple bass, no toads, saw a guy I know, Craig, besides Butch, he owns the lagoon, well saw that he was tossing a blade so I tied on a cheap buzzbait thats been rusting away in the box, no blow ups, but figured some things out.
Ran into Craig at the dock and he had a donkey in his livewell and didn't have a camera, so took a couple pics of his fish and talked to him about what he was doing.
So with info in hand I went back tonite to close the lake, I messed with a buzzbait for a while then got out the spinnerbait and got to work, i was tossing it to the outside weed lines and slow rolling the bait and on the 3rd or 4th cast It got slammed, Yeah, heavy fish, glad i had put the net out on the deck before I started, word of advise for the lagoon, always have the net ready.
Sure enough, the fish was pulling hard but felt werid, saw the fish at deep color and said wow it's big, but as it came up for the final time I was bummed , Catfish.... was toad of a differnt kind, stupid catfish eating a spinnerbait....
Well while I had him in the net making a mess of my carpet on the deck, I got the camera out and scale, fish was just under 9 pounds, sorry but the picture I took had a big sun glare in it... I tried to release him but it just floundered on the weeds, so i put it in the livewell to recuperate, and tried to strighten out the bait but it was all busted up.
So got a new one out rigged it and ended up getting a two pounder bass, took a pic and tossed him back, well the clock was ticking, I ended up missing two others, when I got back to the dock I thought about cutting the catfish up but ended up letting it go, catfish are tough critters so back he went.
and I'll be back tomorrow either to the upper or back to the lagoon to fish the spinnerbait somemore...

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
luv ta see the "Donkey" that was in the livewell, how bout posting da pics ya took : )

Congrats on the pig kitty as well, woulda luved ta see pics as well...

Kitty's are not really all that common in the goon....sweet !

Lunker1979
08-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Nicely done........wow cats slamming the blade....nice! get the pics up!

SDDave
08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Well, I allways seem to find the cat fish when i'm bass fishing, I was bummed that it broke the spinnerbait, Butch gave me that bait, here's a pic of it cleaned it up the best I could.http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/a035162d.jpg
Here's some of the bass you can find down, better be armed with the big stuff, once they get down in those weeds the odds are slim... http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/9af45a0e.jpg

Fire Ball
08-16-2010, 05:48 PM
I would have been really disappointed with that pig cat instead of a pig bass, haha. Still cool though. :Envious:

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I would have been really disappointed with that pig cat instead of a pig bass, haha. Still cool though. :Envious:

With a box of corn meal and a deep fryer.....I WOULDN'T BE DISSAPOINTED !

skunkmaster
08-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I had that happen to me years ago at Silverwood. Was fishing a spinnerbait at sundown and got slammed by a nice cat. Thought for sure it was a huge bass at first.

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I had that happen to me years ago at Silverwood. Was fishing a spinnerbait at sundown and got slammed by a nice cat. Thought for sure it was a huge bass at first.
Yeah I've had 'em slam twister tail grubs as well as rattletraps...

once in a while those suckas become very predatorial !

stg68
08-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Yeah I've had 'em slam twister tail grubs as well as rattletraps...

once in a while those suckas become very predatorial !

Yes, but that is not as bad as, while you fishing with 7" Senko, you got big carp !!!!
:Embarrassed::Embarrassed::Embarrassed::Embarrasse d:

Stormcrow
08-19-2010, 07:06 AM
I caught a DD cat on a rattletrap one time....Damn near blew my mind!

SDDave
08-19-2010, 07:48 AM
I caught one on the upper while in the back of Elizabeth hanging on the sandbar with my nieces
We caught a 6 or7 pounder and threw it in the livewell for the kids to check out and latter when I looked at it and was ready to let it go, the thing had coughed up 2 chicken bones 2 apricots seeds and the fruit , I thoight the kids threw that stuff in there but it was the catfishes lunch, he was eating junk people threw in the water

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-19-2010, 12:51 PM
I caught one on the upper while in the back of Elizabeth hanging on the sandbar with my nieces
We caught a 6 or7 pounder and threw it in the livewell for the kids to check out and latter when I looked at it and was ready to let it go, the thing had coughed up 2 chicken bones 2 apricots seeds and the fruit , I thoight the kids threw that stuff in there but it was the catfishes lunch, he was eating junk people threw in the water

Yeah, out in the irrigation canals out in the "Glamis" desert, I've caught the kitties on whatever I had...

Raw Hamburger
Cooked Porkchop
Raw Hotdogs
Cheese from the cheese n crackers packs

They'll take advantage of any free meal ! thats why those suckas get those obese guts !

I've even heard of them catching them at Elsinore on pcs of "Bar soap "

CL SmooV
08-21-2010, 10:15 AM
soap is great cat bait. a chinese gentleman taught my father and i about fishin with soap while fishin for giant kittys @ pyramid back in the 80's.

Yeah, out in the irrigation canals out in the "Glamis" desert, I've caught the kitties on whatever I had...

Raw Hamburger
Cooked Porkchop
Raw Hotdogs
Cheese from the cheese n crackers packs

They'll take advantage of any free meal ! thats why those suckas get those obese guts !

I've even heard of them catching them at Elsinore on pcs of "Bar soap "