PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Lake- What would you do?

LuckyBasser
08-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Ok well i just wanted to start by saying that Despite catching a whole bunch of stocked trout from shore, I still dont know crap about trout. I consider my self a bass fisherman above all, but any fishing is amazing in my opinion. Well anyway, im going to huntington lake to fish/camp for a buddy of mines B-Day, and i was wondering a couple of things, and i was hoping maybe someone would give me some answers for some questions.

1.What Species of fish are in there.
2.Whats a good way to catch these species.

And thats pretty much it. I would Appreciate it soo much if i could get any feedback at all.

SierraPeaks
08-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Ok well i just wanted to start by saying that Despite catching a whole bunch of stocked trout from shore, I still dont know crap about trout. I consider my self a bass fisherman above all, but any fishing is amazing in my opinion. Well anyway, im going to huntington lake to fish/camp for a buddy of mines B-Day, and i was wondering a couple of things, and i was hoping maybe someone would give me some answers for some questions.

1.What Species of fish are in there.
2.Whats a good way to catch these species.

And thats pretty much it. I would Appreciate it soo much if i could get any feedback at all.

If you're going just to camp and fish...do yourself a favor and go on up the road a ways to Edison Lake. Huntington in the summer is crowded with water skiiers and personal watercrafters and is not a pleasant place to fish...or camp.
Edison is quiet...twice as beautiful...and much better fishing.

TrouTHeAd
08-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I travel up towards that area just about every week to fish. I must agree on the crowd. It gets pretty crowded up there especially during the weekend. Edison a nice place, but I would rather head towards Wishon resevior or Courtwright. These lakes are beautiful and the fishing is great. There are plenty of trouts up there. Huntington is a gorgeous place too, but the crowd ruins it sometimes. Let meknow if you have any additional questions. Have a great time!

SierraPeaks
08-10-2010, 03:12 PM
I travel up towards that area just about every week to fish. I must agree on the crowd. It gets pretty crowded up there especially during the weekend. Edison a nice place, but I would rather head towards Wishon resevior or Courtwright. These lakes are beautiful and the fishing is great. There are plenty of trouts up there. Huntington is a gorgeous place too, but the crowd ruins it sometimes. Let meknow if you have any additional questions. Have a great time!

I was going to mention Wishon and Courtright also...but didn't want to confuse the guy if he'd never been up there before.

LuckyBasser
08-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Thx for the info, i already got the campsite at huntington, but if its just a short drive, i can pull off edison or wishon hopefully, Can i rent boats at the other two lakes, and how much of a drive are we talking about?

SierraPeaks
08-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Thx for the info, i already got the campsite at huntington, but if its just a short drive, i can pull off edison or wishon hopefully, Can i rent boats at the other two lakes, and how much of a drive are we talking about?

You can rent a boat at Edison...and it's about 45 minutes.

LuckyBasser
08-10-2010, 07:32 PM
You can rent a boat at Edison...and it's about 45 minutes.

Thx a bunch guys.

TrouTHeAd
08-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Wishon is about 45 mins away too. Boat rentals are available at Wishon. Just head back towards the mouth of the river if you get a boat. The action is nonstop back there with yellow powerbait. Good Luck!!!

thedeadone
08-11-2010, 07:55 AM
from huntington to wishon is a good 1.5 hour drive---- if you haul asss.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I agree with what Sierra Peaks said that's why I go to this area to fish early spring to late spring and in the fall.
If you make the drive to Edison there's a small lake alongside the road about half way to Edison called Portal Forebay. The DFG plants that little lake with rainbows but you want to get the holdovers from the previous years plantings. Not many people know that there are also brook and brown trout in that little lake. No Boat rentals and the only small craft allowed are float tubes and paddlecraft.
Everywhere is beautiful in this area, don't forget the cameras!
TTFM

SierraPeaks
08-14-2010, 12:04 AM
I agree with what Sierra Peaks said that's why I go to this area to fish early spring to late spring and in the fall.
If you make the drive to Edison there's a small lake alongside the road about half way to Edison called Portal Forebay. The DFG plants that little lake with rainbows but you want to get the holdovers from the previous years plantings. Not many people know that there are also brook and brown trout in that little lake. No Boat rentals and the only small craft allowed are float tubes and paddlecraft.
Everywhere is beautiful in this area, don't forget the cameras!
TTFM

Dam bro...I forgot about that....great call and info for western slopers. (I haven't hit that little gem in years....due to the distance I have to travel....but yeah....awesome holdovers...especially in early June)

TrouTHeAd
08-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Sorry about the incorrect info. It does take about 1.5 hours to Wishon from Huntington. I was just there at Portal Forebay. Lots and lots of trouts. Kastmasters and powerbait! Wrd lake was stock this week too. It's a few miles ahead of Portal Forebay.