PDA

View Full Version : First Report Upper Castaic 8/6/10

kobe
08-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Well fellas I've been lurking for a little while and thought it was about time I started contributing. I headed out to Castaic with my father and brother, somehow we all had the day off work- it was about 6:30am.We stopped at Gallions to get some fresh anchovies at the lake the conditions were good, and since it was a weekday the boat traffic was light. We all had to kind of refresh our memories when it came to launching the boat, our old boat sat with engine troubles for about 5 years. I had been reading on here about the good action going on at Elizabeth Canyon so we headed up that way. I dropped the trolling motor and we went for largemouth pitching out different crankbaits. No action at all for any of us and since we didn't want to waste the rest of the morning we decided to head to the main buoy line to go for stripers. It was now about 9:30. Right away the fish finder was metering them at about 70 feet. All around us boats were landing schoolie sized stripers. We dropped in cuts of sardine flylined on 6 and 4 pound test. Any minute I was expecting to hear the sound of peeling drag, but nothing. I tried all different depths but still..nothing. Minutes turned into hours until finally at around 12:30 my dad pulled in a nice 20 incher. I was glad we had at least beat the skunk but it wasn't the day I'd hoped for. We left an hour later puzzled as to what went wrong. I thought I had Castaic figured but I guess not. :EyePop:

fishinone
08-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear you didn't get more.

You might try Carolina rigs, keeping track of the depth and putting the bait 1 or 2 ft. Over their heads.

sawoobley
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Kobe! Kobe! Kobe! - Go LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Cool:

SDDave
08-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Well, like you said, you got one in the boat, if you pput in the time it will payoff soon, good luck next time, Dave

kobe
08-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Kobe! Kobe! Kobe! - Go LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Cool:

That 3peat is coming come hell or high water :Cool: Thanks for the tips guys

troutdog
08-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the board and hey you punked the skunk, you'll slay'em next time out for sure...GO LAKERS!!!

TD

dixoncider
08-10-2010, 04:20 AM
THanks for the report...could be time of day?

kobe
08-10-2010, 12:41 PM
THanks for the report...could be time of day?

Maybe, what time are stripers most on the chew?

fishinone
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Maybe, what time are stripers most on the chew?

They've actually been eating breakfast lunch and dinner but the times are jumping around. You have to be on a good spot with good bait set up right when they show.

marzocchi
08-11-2010, 02:59 AM
NT...Time of day is important. X2 what fishinone said.