PDA

View Full Version : Patient fishing at Castaic

fishinone
08-08-2010, 11:08 PM
We fished Castaic on Saturday,

Alex and I planned to meet at Gallion's at 5:15 am. Both of us got started slow and were a little late. We picked up some great sandwiches and fresh dead sardines and headed for the ramp.

I had heard rumors of some big fish being hooked up and lost in a spot and we started there for nothing in the first couple hours.

We pulled up stakes and started looking for active fish. We noticed some vultures standing on a point. It like like snack time so we decided to see what they had found.

Look at the length of this thing.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%208-7-2010/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjItMjAxMDA4MDctMDg0OC5qcGc.jpg
Here's fishbones with fish bones.

We kept looking and found a flat that we hadn't fished before with some fish holding on it. We anchored up and gave it a try. We were giving up and had started setting up trolling rigs when I got hooked up on a pole that I had left the bail of open with the sliding sinker laying on bottom. It took about 30 yd of line before I realized it was there. That made for a nice fight, after I got the slack out of the line. Right after that Alex got one too. So with the skunk off for both of us, things wer looking up. I got a hit, struck, had tension but lost it right away. But when I reeled up I had a scale. So at this point I was one scale ahead in the numbers game.:LOL:

At about 11:00 we got a call from FarmerJohn and went and picked him up at the boat ramp. We headed to the buoy line and had a slow pick on some decent sized schoolies. When the wind wasnt whipping us around. we were catching fish. After a while we put a second anchor out to stop the swinging. We hooked up rght away after that.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%208-7-2010/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjMtMjAxMDA4MDctMTUzMy5qcGc.jpg
Here's John hooked up.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%208-7-2010/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjUtMjAxMDA4MDctMTU0MC5qcGc.jpg
Here's Alex hooked up.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%208-7-2010/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjQtMjAxMDA4MDctMTU0MC5qcGc.jpg
Here's another shot of Alex.

At about 4:00 we got the call from Khanh that we were expecting and went and picked him up at the ramp.

We went to FarmerJohn's new spot set up and waited the fish didn't show until a little later today but they eventually came. Khanh and Alex caught a steady flow of dinks on the starboard side while John and I fished the port side getting weird one hit bites. After awhile the boat swung around in the wind and John and I put a few in the boat. When it went back to the other position I got a pick up on a bait-runner pole that just took off. I set the hook and landed a small catfish. I guess that explains the quick bites John and I were getting.

We kept about 20 fish from 1 1/2 lb to 3 1/2 lb and threw back a bunch of tiny ones.

I think Alex caught the most fish.
Khanh was second even in the short time he was there.
I got the big fish.
John caught plenty of fish too.

Thanks guys for fishing with me. I enjoyed your company.

dixoncider
08-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a full day on the water

yolo
08-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Sounds like a great day Ron. Way to get them.

FarmerJohn
08-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Ron thanks for the invite and it was great to finally meet you Alex. The only bumber was how bad the stripers out smarted me. It's like I always say at the end of the fishing day the fish have 40% say in how good you do. Except Khanh, the fish have no say so when he's fishing!...lol...And it's always a blast fishing with you.

trail blazer
08-09-2010, 08:13 AM
You guys are always on them there!!!

WTG ,,,,,,,,,,,,Looks like great times out there with good people and REAL bass,,,,,,and a KITTY

chris273
08-09-2010, 08:33 AM
nice report & congrats on the slay

fishinone
08-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a full day on the water :LOL:

We were busy running around. I really do like driving the boat up and down the lake, I've got everything I need to be "lake lice".

Sounds like a great day Ron. Way to get them.

Thanks Yolo, We caught plenty of fish but we're kinda spoiled, thinking we should have limits. We are happy with what the Lord provided. It was a beautiful day.

Ron thanks for the invite and it was great to finally meet you Alex. The only bumber was how bad the stripers out smarted me. It's like I always say at the end of the fishing day the fish have 40% say in how good you do. Except Khanh, the fish have no say so when he's fishing!...lol...And it's always a blast fishing with you.

You're welcome, anytime :Farmer:John. Planting is as important as harvesting you know.:LOL:

You caught fish! I've had lots of worse days than that.

You guys are always on them there!!!

WTG ,,,,,,,,,,,,Looks like great times out there with good people and REAL bass,,,,,,and a KITTY

Thanks T/B,

There are always dinks at Castaic.

Some people seem to think that they stop feeding in the heat of summer. They change their locations and habits but they are there and feeding.

That kitty bite on one side of the boat makes me wonder if they don't have territories or avoid each other. I wonder if striper chase catfish.

Are the Bako Boys coming to Moonlight madness this Saturday?

nice report & congrats on the slay

Thanks Chris,

Did you ever hit up Castaic after you asked for info?

trail blazer
08-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Are the Bako Boys coming to Moonlight madness this Saturday?

Wasn,t even aware that it was this sat,,,,,,,,,,,still,,?able,,,,,,will speak with c,bait abought it,,,,,,,,,YA NEVER KNOW

kpn
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Ron,
Thank for the invite. It was fun to fish with you guys. It was slower than last Wed, but everyone caught fish.
Nice to see you again Alex.
We should do it again guys.

Khanh aka KPN.

fishinone
08-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Ron,
Thank for the invite. It was fun to fish with you guys. It was slower than last Wed, but everyone caught fish.
Nice to see you again Alex.
We should do it again guys.

Khanh aka KPN.

Hey Khanh,

You're always welcome but you could make life a lot easier on the rest of us, if you would "STOP CATCHING SO MANY FISH".:LOL:

Couldn't you think about the other fisherman for just a little while?:Rolls Eyes:

You could miss a strike every once in a while, "Just to be nice!":ROFL:

Seriously, you were slaying them out there.

kpn
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Hey Khanh,

You're always welcome but you could make life a lot easier on the rest of us, if you would "STOP CATCHING SO MANY FISH".:LOL:

Couldn't you think about the other fisherman for just a little while?:Rolls Eyes:

You could miss a strike every once in a while, "Just to be nice!":ROFL:

Seriously, you were slaying them out there.

Hahahaha..............LOL............Too funny bro!
I try to be with the crowd (not catching many fish :LOL:), but they just swam into my hook LOL..............
Thank again for the invite bro.

Khanh.

msos
08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Nice report. Thank for sharing.