PDA

View Full Version : southern cal 7/21, twilight trip

vile
07-23-2007, 07:37 AM
sorry, no pics, forgot the camera at home.

lil'background -- i'm a noob at fishing, but have always enjoyed my time of the water. i took my lil'boy out on the ocean for the first time on this trip. i was with my brother in law, who is the true angler, he knows his sheet.

we left dock promptly at 6:30 pm and arrived at the first (turns out the only) stop. i'm not 100% sure on where we were, but i'm guessing we were on the outer edges of the horseshoe; the ride was only 1/2 hour long.

my bro'in-law set up my lil'boy and helped him drop his first line. the weight didn't even hit bottom when his rod went bendo. lil'bugger was so exicted. the bass were biting that nite. there was so much action, the lil'guy was tired out within 45 minutes, and ended up sleeping through the rest of the trip. he'd already pulled up 7 bass and his arms were sore, hehe.

my bro'in-law was using plastic and was hitting on pretty much every casts. he definitely caught limit, but he released most of his catch, only keeping 3 bass. i caught limit as well, but ended up keeping 6 bass.

around 9pm, the barries started to show up. once my bro'in-law saw the barries, he turned to me and said, "watch, the cuda is going to win the jackpot". he then turns and headed for his tackle box. he ditched his plastic and came back with some iron. not more then 3 casts in, and he hooks up. lines were tangle, a gaff came in, excitement ensued.

i wasn't trying for the barries, just enjoying my bass fishing. a while later, i hooked onto something big (relative to the sea bass). turns out it was a baracuda. i ended up with another one later on, and my bro'in-law didn't hook up on anymore barries.

the boat pretty much limited at about 10pm and started our trek back to dock. at the weight-in for the jackpot, turns out my bro'in-law was dead on, a barry did win the jackpot.......his, hehe

zZaNg
07-23-2007, 07:48 AM
nice job on the cudas/bass. glad you guys had a good time.

vile
07-23-2007, 11:35 AM
yeah, we had a good outing....probably going to go back out in a few weeks

ThanksKK
07-23-2007, 12:06 PM
thanks for the report.

JapanRon
07-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi vile,

You are now no longer a newbie! Officially promoted to beginner second-class! :lol: :lol:

Great you're taking the kid out too! Know who was running the boat?

Appreciate the report.

JapanRon

pescadito
07-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi Ron,
I was on the boat as well, and i did fairly well with the plastics. Igot a few on the 6 inch swimbaits, and then the bite shut down so i had to switch to the 4 inch baits and it was on from there. I caught a couple cudas on the iron and called it a night.

In reference to your question, Colin was running the boat. He's a great guy and knows his stuff. It was a good move to stick it out and wait that spot out.