PDA

View Full Version : skunked twice at Corona Lake - what am I doing wrong?

xxwake4lifexx
08-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm most often fishing for trout so going after catfish is a bit of a new game for me. How do most people rig their poles, what bait do they use and other advice?

I've been there twice and been skunked twice and I am not used to NOT catching anything. I've tried several types of bait to no avail. Can anyone offer up some suggestions? I get a few bites here and there, but always miss the fish.

tunagod1
08-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Maybe its not how you are fishing, but where you are fishing. Did you fish the same spot both times? Are you fishing from shore? If fishing from shore, use a carolina rig, traditional baits work best (mackerl, Bonita, nightcrawlers, shrimp etc.) I also like using Jumbo meal worms, 5-6 on a size 2 baitholder hook.
I like areas that quickly transistion from the deep river channel to the flats.

Tight lines

Tuna

jonnyfishon
08-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Fly lined mackeral at nightime works great, just about anywhere on the lake. If u didnt catch any, you were fishing the day session . and day session sucks for cats at corona usually

xxwake4lifexx
08-07-2010, 09:42 PM
No both times I've been there I've gone to a different spot. The first time I was there we did the 11am-11pm fishing. From where you pay at the booth we drove off to the right and fished that area over there. We used a combination of nightcrawlers, shrimp, and marshmallows. We did manage to get 1 fish that day, but I didn't get any. The second time (yesterday) we went to the left of the booth and went down these wooden steps and then off to the right once we got to the bottom. We used shrimp, marshmallows, and nightcrawlers again this time also. I thought I had a few bites, but nothing I could plant. I'm using 8lb test on my poles. We were fishing from shore. A couple pontoons directly out from us were catching them. I don't know what bait they were using, but they were casting towards shore where we were. The second time we went we did the 5pm-11pm fishing.

Any more advice?

tunagod1
08-08-2010, 11:36 AM
sent you a pm

Tuna

2quikmotorwerks
08-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Imo you really need to fish corona in a boat and fish the trees and stumps , to fish from shore is alright only the first day or two of stocking after that the fish have moved on into cover.