PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it? Poll

thedeadone
08-06-2010, 08:50 PM
What do you do with the what nots when you clean your fish?

olfishergal
08-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Not a choice, but I bury mine in the garden

NoHo ART
08-06-2010, 09:41 PM
i trow em on the person standing next to me (have him deal with it)

smokehound
08-07-2010, 01:32 PM
You dont want to know. Trust me.

xjdesertfox
08-07-2010, 01:38 PM
You dont want to know. Trust me.

eat them? ME TOO!

just kidding, i either toss them in a bag then into the trash, or if i clean them at home i open them up and see what the fish has been eating, i'm always curious, then into the trash can they go.

fisherman from long beach
08-07-2010, 04:13 PM
most of the time i try to clean them on the boat,and toss back into ocean,fish that i bring for my neighbor he asked me not to clean them,he makes some kinda soup with the guts and what not.and he's philipino,he tells me its da bomb.maybe i should invite myself over and give it a try.

Swank909
08-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Either bury it (Sometimes brings in the coyotes, so i try not to so much anymore...), or I throw them in the trash. If the trash day is more than 1 day away i freeze them, then throw them in the trash the night before.

sawoobley
08-07-2010, 05:03 PM
It depends where I am.

If it is a decent size creek and I am on private property then I will toss the guts in the creek and use the water to rinse the fish. Other wise I bag it and hike it out. If I can get the fish home very quickly then I will clean it there. No one in my family will eat the fish unless it is cleaned right away.

:Cool:

danny_fromthebow
08-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I'd say majority of my catches are cleaned at home so I buried them in the garden like Olfishergal.
Otherwise I utilize the fish cleaning areas if available so then the entrails are put in the dumpster. I don't do "hike in and camp" type of fishing a lot but in the past I've buried the entrails.

smokehound
08-07-2010, 06:02 PM
It depends where I am.

If it is a decent size creek and I am on private property then I will toss the guts in the creek and use the water to rinse the fish. Other wise I bag it and hike it out. If I can get the fish home very quickly then I will clean it there. No one in my family will eat the fish unless it is cleaned right away.

:Cool:Be careful with that. If its a trout stream, and you're dumping trout guts, you can spread whirling disease.. It can destroy entire populations of trout. The source of the parasite is tubifex worms.

Normally, I would use the guts as bait, but with trout, it's illegal to do so.

sawoobley
08-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Never heard about whirling disease (Myxobolus cerebralis) but I looked it up in Wiki. Thanks for the info :Thumbs Up:. I'll never throw the entrails in the creek again and will spread the word! I have only done it a few times at the request of family members because they wanted to keep the wild animals out of the trash cans. Fortunately, the fish were probably not infected as evidenced by the fact that the trout population is still holding strong at my spot.

:Cool:

smokehound
08-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Never heard about whirling disease (Myxobolus cerebralis) but I looked it up in Wiki. Thanks for the info :Thumbs Up:. I'll never throw the entrails in the creek again and will spread the word! I have only done it a few times at the request of family members because they wanted to keep the wild animals out of the trash cans. Fortunately, the fish were probably not infected as evidenced by the fact that the trout population is still holding strong at my spot.

:Cool:Yeah.. sometimes you just dont have the option of throwing it in a trashcan..

DarkShadow
08-08-2010, 03:56 PM
I examine the stomach contents to give me a better idea of the eating habits of my quarry.

Then I feed the neighborhood cats with them.

exfactor
08-15-2010, 08:46 AM
In Santa Barbara, they will not allow a fish cleaning station by our launch ramp, citing that the commercial crabbers would be able to use this for their traps, and not have to buy it. A pretty lame excuse for a reason, but what happens is the people that don't want to clean it at home fillet it right on the dock, and throw the carcass into the water for all of us to look at when we launch, and return. City rep's are clueless in regards to considering any options as far as keeping the neighborhoods happy without stinking the place up. And, with reg's regarding cutting of fish on a boat, It's even more complicated. My 02.

Ricky-Ray
08-16-2010, 01:14 PM
I'd vote but there's no option for "let the deckhands fillet them for me."

thedeadone
08-16-2010, 02:05 PM
and all of you off shore fisherman.I was only thinking fresh water with this poll.

smokehound
08-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I wont reveal what I do with them. it's not for the squeamish. :LOL:

troutdog
08-17-2010, 04:20 AM
Clean it at the lake if possible, hate dealing with it at home....

TD

BULLDOGBOOGERS
08-17-2010, 05:20 AM
more times then not......i take the fish home & clean them.......in the driveway...then put the guts in a trash bag..
and freez them......then take the bag out the day the trash man comes......works for me !

fishincrave
08-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Fish guts belong in the trash , unless your fishing with NoHo then watch out it might be some were it shouldn't be .
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:.

thedeadone
08-26-2010, 07:08 AM
I see that most people throw the guts away in garbage.Great.The reason I posted this is I have seen people clean thier trout in the lake right where they caught them and then throw the guts in the water!!!!!!! I have seen the same guts on the bottom of the lake just off shore for months.They start to grow slime or fungus or some other funky stuff, and it just ruins my day.This can't be good for the eco system!!!!!!please do not do this in fresh water trout lakes.I guess if you are fishing in a lake that has other types of gamefish--they would probably eat these up before to long.The ocean--heck please feed the fish your guts-I bet they never hit the bottom there.Rant over.Thanks for your help.

Crawler
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
I have always mildly subscribed to the "return the nutrients to the body of water where they would have been had the fish died naturally" theory. But I wont do it where they are easily visible. In fact I dont do much fish cleaning anymore anyhow. 95% C&R. But how exactly is a dead fish (or parts of a dead fish) a negative impact on any particular body of water? And no, I dont mean throwing mackeral into a trout lake or any such nonsense.

fishinone
08-31-2010, 04:59 PM
more times then not......i take the fish home & clean them.......in the driveway...then put the guts in a trash bag..
and freez them......then take the bag out the day the trash man comes......works for me !

This is what I do too! It doesn't even matter that I forget them for a few weeks at a time. I have a fishing freezer in the garage.

smokehound
09-01-2010, 09:22 AM
I have always mildly subscribed to the "return the nutrients to the body of water where they would have been had the fish died naturally" theory. But I wont do it where they are easily visible. In fact I dont do much fish cleaning anymore anyhow. 95% C&R. But how exactly is a dead fish (or parts of a dead fish) a negative impact on any particular body of water? And no, I dont mean throwing mackeral into a trout lake or any such nonsense.It's illegal, fouls water quality, spreads diseases, and is just plain lazy.

Natural Lefty
09-01-2010, 03:03 PM
I agree with old fisher gal. I use the remains for fertilizer. That seems their best use.

Crawler
09-01-2010, 09:18 PM
It's illegal, fouls water quality, spreads diseases, and is just plain lazy.

I disagree. It is not illegal outside of National Parks in the state of California as far as I can find. It is in fact encouraged by DFG in some states. Please show me exaactly where the CDFG says that this practice is illegal. I dont see how it could possibly foul the water quality any differently then a fish dying naturally. If returned to the same body of water from which it was taken, there is no disease spreading anywhere that it did not already exist.

Now, dont get me wrong. I do not advocate tossing your fish guts 8' from shore and calling it a day. I also would assume that most people with a brain would trashcan guts in any roadside lake with a cleaning station. I am speaking mainly of sierra backcountry trout lakes / streams. Perhaps I should have clarified that in my original post.

Also, reguarding an earlier comment you made. Please show me the trout populations that have be wiped out by returning nutrient rich fish guts back into where they came from. No Wikipedia please.

Sparky70
09-02-2010, 02:27 AM
Send em to OBAMA, all that comes out of his mouth is TRASH anyway!

smokehound
09-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I disagree. It is not illegal outside of National Parks in the state of California as far as I can find. It is in fact encouraged by DFG in some states. Please show me exaactly where the CDFG says that this practice is illegal. I dont see how it could possibly foul the water quality any differently then a fish dying naturally. If returned to the same body of water from which it was taken, there is no disease spreading anywhere that it did not already exist.

Now, dont get me wrong. I do not advocate tossing your fish guts 8' from shore and calling it a day. I also would assume that most people with a brain would trashcan guts in any roadside lake with a cleaning station. I am speaking mainly of sierra backcountry trout lakes / streams. Perhaps I should have clarified that in my original post.

Also, reguarding an earlier comment you made. Please show me the trout populations that have be wiped out by returning nutrient rich fish guts back into where they came from. No Wikipedia please.You're kidding, right?

Just to piss you off, here's a wikipedia article about Whirling disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxobolus_cerebralis

You see, there's this thing called littering. It's like.. Illegal. Yeah.

Good job refuting me, brazen one.

Crawler
09-05-2010, 02:56 PM
You're kidding, right?

Just to piss you off, here's a wikipedia article about Whirling disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxobolus_cerebralis

You see, there's this thing called littering. It's like.. Illegal. Yeah.

Good job refuting me, brazen one.

No I am not kidding. Obviously you cant back up your misguided stance, or you would have. Go do a little reserch there Mr. All Knowing, because you sound like you have no idea what the hell you are talking about here.

SHOW ME where returning dead fish parts to the body of water in which they originated is ILLEGAL in california. You would think if it were, the CDFG might mention it in the regs??? SHOW ME the populations of trout that have been "wiped out" from returning fish guts to the water. I cant wait to be schooled here. :Rolls Eyes:

smokehound
09-05-2010, 10:23 PM
No I am not kidding. Obviously you cant back up your misguided stance, or you would have. Go do a little reserch there Mr. All Knowing, because you sound like you have no idea what the hell you are talking about here.

SHOW ME where returning dead fish parts to the body of water in which they originated is ILLEGAL in california. You would think if it were, the CDFG might mention it in the regs??? SHOW ME the populations of trout that have been "wiped out" from returning fish guts to the water. I cant wait to be schooled here. :Rolls Eyes: How the hell am I gonna show you populations that were wiped out?

http://afsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8667(1998)010%3C0132:WDICAR%3E2.0.CO;2

This disease is a HUGE problem in hatcheries.

Fish guts= trash. Organic or not, it's trash. Throwing trash in the water is Littering. Littering is Illegal.

When I said they were destroyed, I didnt mean they were wiped out.

The disease is a very gradual one. I dont think you'll bother reading that article, so I'll tell you what happened.

"A severe epizootic of M. cerebralis at the Mt. Whitney State Fish Hatchery in the spring of 1995 confirmed the virulent potential of M. cerebralis in California. Spores of M. cerebralis can no longer be detected in wild populations at three locations since elimination of the source of infection in those waters."

Those trout all had to be destroyed. It's a different story when it comes to non-stocked trout, like the ones caught way up in the sierras.. Obviously.

But when it comes to DFG stockers, it's a different story altogether.

http://www.protectyourwaters.net/hitchhikers/others_whirling_disease.php

All it takes is a single osprey/human that came into contact with an infected fish.

http://whirlingdisease.montana.edu/about/map2.htm

Click on california. See where the parasite was found?

I dont need to show extensive documents when littering is well-known to be illegal.

Crawler
09-06-2010, 10:56 AM
How the hell am I gonna show you populations that were wiped out?

http://afsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8667(1998)010%3C0132:WDICAR%3E2.0.CO;2

This disease is a HUGE problem in hatcheries.

Fish guts= trash. Organic or not, it's trash. Throwing trash in the water is Littering. Littering is Illegal.

When I said they were destroyed, I didnt mean they were wiped out.

The disease is a very gradual one. I dont think you'll bother reading that article, so I'll tell you what happened.

"A severe epizootic of M. cerebralis at the Mt. Whitney State Fish Hatchery in the spring of 1995 confirmed the virulent potential of M. cerebralis in California. Spores of M. cerebralis can no longer be detected in wild populations at three locations since elimination of the source of infection in those waters."

Those trout all had to be destroyed. It's a different story when it comes to non-stocked trout, like the ones caught way up in the sierras.. Obviously.

But when it comes to DFG stockers, it's a different story altogether.

http://www.protectyourwaters.net/hitchhikers/others_whirling_disease.php

All it takes is a single osprey/human that came into contact with an infected fish.

http://whirlingdisease.montana.edu/about/map2.htm

Click on california. See where the parasite was found?

I dont need to show extensive documents when littering is well-known to be illegal.

Thanks for the links. I actually learned something today about this whirling disease. That last link you posted shows no whirling disease found south of lake tahoe though, and very little area in norcal where it has been found, so I dont think anyone in the southern half of the state will encounter any infected watersheds anytime soon. Making it kind of a moot point in our local, especially in the backcountry.

Also, anyone who knows me knows that I wish death on people who litter on a weekley basis, right along with people who cant be bothered to pay attention while behind the wheel of an automobile. So, perhaps I took a little offense to your comment about littering earlier. However about flinging fish guts out into the deep blue where they came from......

Do you remember the movie Stand and Deliver? Remember the part where they accuse Lou Diamond Phillips of cheating on the test? He put his chin up in the air and banged his wrists together to as if being handcuffed and said "yep I killed that trout and his guts are decompozing in my locker, errrr at the bottom of the lake SA, take me away". :Cool:

smokehound
09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Never saw that movie. Not a big fan of corporate media.

THe only reason you dont see more of it, is due to precautions taken to prevent it from surfacing again.

It can appear anywhere, at any time.

Not moot the slightest.

thedeadone
09-06-2010, 02:46 PM
and the loser is CRAWLER!!!!!!!!!!! the debate is over.Crawler tuck tail and turn back.Thanks for the info Smokehound.I didn't know about whirling disease,I just knew it wasn't right to put them there guts in the drink!!! Pot stirred.

Crawler
09-06-2010, 02:58 PM
No thanks thedeadone. I will continue to fling em, and you guys can continue to not see them. :LOL:

thedeadone
09-07-2010, 07:57 AM
You must have missed the turn to Damascus!!

Sue
09-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Nobody lets me clean fish..............

smokehound
09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Nobody lets me clean fish..............How come? Do you mangle the fish in the process? :LOL:

Sue
09-07-2010, 10:32 PM
How come? Do you mangle the fish in the process? :LOL:

Did ya ever hear the one about the girl that was pretty inexperienced at cleaning fish, tried to clean a 8.3lb trout and ended up with 36 stitches in the arm? (8 to close the muscle, 10 to close the tissue and 18 to close the wound - 3 layers!)..........