PDA

View Full Version : Caddis Navigator valve question.

ReelSerious
08-06-2010, 01:31 AM
I have a caddis navigator Float tube. it has a valve setup that I do like a half twist and blow it up with my mouth....so far its been good to me. I can blow air into my tube by mouth while on the water etc. I am about to purchase a new tube for the GF actually shes getting my old one....But I am not sure i wanna have to deal with pumps, etc.......what other good float tubes use this type of valve? whats the valve called? Its like a 5" tube that sticks out in my pockets. Anyone know?
BTW I am from Ridgecrest I fish EVERYWHERE literally, Casitas, Castaic, Isabella, convict, June, etc. Ive been lurking here for years.....you guys dont know me but youve taught me tons....for that I thank you. I will be posting much more frequently.
Daryl

sonarbp
08-09-2010, 08:20 AM
WOW you must have lungs of steel!!! I fish from a NAV II and have never tried blowing it up by mouth. Go to walmart and spend $10 or $15 bucks on a double action pump. The pump comes with all the adapters for pretty much every type of valve. With the pump you can inflate the tube in about 5 mins.

sonarbp

Nessie Hunter
08-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Had that same valve on my Nevada Gold... Not sure it has a name???

Hard to get a pump to fit it.. I had to hold my hand around the valve and pump end to make it work...
I used a $15 walmart 12V pump for air mattress Etc.. Worked fine....
2 way pumps work fine, except you cant pump AND hold the valve...

Now I have a ODC 420 with Boston Valves.. Much better.

ReelSerious
08-09-2010, 10:08 PM
No I dont have lungs of steel lol. I have 2 dual action hand pumps, and a rechargeable pump but I just blow it up by mouth. I never really thought it was difficult, in fact I blew my friend Creek company U boat up by mouth because he was winded pretty bad....lol. I actually just bought a Glastron 195 with a 5.0 So I think I will be using that to take the kids out for a while. So I am not sure I wanna buy another tube at the moment? I wish Sierra trading post had that Caddis pro 2000 in stock, it was an amazing price. I love my Caddis.

ReelSerious
08-09-2010, 10:10 PM

Hard to get a pump to fit it.. I had to hold my hand around the valve and pump end to make it work...
2 way pumps work fine, except you cant pump AND hold the valve...

Now I have a ODC 420 with Boston Valves.. Much better.

I really like the fishcats and ODC 420, Ive looked into them for years and keep thinkin bout buying one.

sonarbp
08-10-2010, 06:59 AM

2 way pumps work fine, except you cant pump AND hold the valve....

Got to be smarter than the pump + valve Nessie....LOL what I did was went down to my local Home Depot and got 20 cents of rubber hose....slide one end over the valve and the other over the pump adapter.....now go to town!!!! I can fill up all three of the bladders of my Nav II in about 5 mins!!!!

Nessie Hunter
08-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Got to be smarter than the pump + valve Nessie....LOL what I did was went down to my local Home Depot and got 20 cents of rubber hose....slide one end over the valve and the other over the pump adapter.....now go to town!!!! I can fill up all three of the bladders of my Nav II in about 5 mins!!!!

Well thats a novel idea!!!!

I made extensions for the Boston Valves in the ODC, cuz it was hard to reach while in the water...
5/8" tubing, 2 @ about 18", couple of wraps of Duct tape at each end so it fits snug in the Boston valve.
Keep one in each side pouch, I can fill bladder while on the water... Or add extension for ease of Blow up.
Works super great. Had a pin hole one day at NPH, just left the Extension in the valve and kept on fishin, every 5 min or so, would re-fill the bladder to keep it firm...
Sure saved the day !!!

sonarbp
08-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Well thats a novel idea!!!!

I made extensions for the Boston Valves in the ODC, cuz it was hard to reach while in the water...
5/8" tubing, 2 @ about 18", couple of wraps of Duct tape at each end so it fits snug in the Boston valve.
Keep one in each side pouch, I can fill bladder while on the water... Or add extension for ease of Blow up.
Works super great. Had a pin hole one day at NPH, just left the Extension in the valve and kept on fishin, every 5 min or so, would re-fill the bladder to keep it firm...
Sure saved the day !!!

I got to give all the credit to you Nessie! I got the idea from you a couple years back when I got my Nav II.....you posted the same bit of info about making extensions for your tube I thought it would work for making a good seal from the valve to the pump.

Thanks again for the help Nesssie!!

sonarbp

BassEngineer
08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
I have a fish cat 4 and it has a boston valve. I blow it up with a rechargeable air pump I bought for $15-20 at Walmart or Sears. You must have lungs of steel and probably don't smoke.
Oh my fish cat I can blow it up with my mouth while on the water without extensions, you just need to be limber!

Guest Who
08-10-2010, 07:05 PM
I have a Caddis Nevada, and I made an adapter to hook up to an air compressor. Basically went to home depot and bought a few inches of the right size aquarium hose to snugly fit over the stem, then I cut a valve off an old bicycle tube and epoxied the whole thing together to seal it up. Cheap and you can fill it up at a gas station pretty quick.