PDA

View Full Version : Hat Creek, Pit River, Baum Lake 7/30-8/5

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-05-2010, 08:44 PM
My annual northern Caif trip was awesome as usual, fishing many spots on Hat Creek, a few spots of the Pit River, float tubed a little at Crater Lake and Baum Lake. Every day was a 40+ fish day....lots of small brookies and browns, a couple Kokanee out of Crater Lake, and quite a few 1.5 to 2 lb rainbows.
I also did manage to get a couple nice rainbows from the Pit River, a 3.5 and 4 pounder both on Rapalas. I like to fish the river just downstream from the HWY 299 bridge during the week since I hardly see anyone there then, and there are only 4 or 5 spots where you can access the water through the thick brush.
All of the fish hit the "go to" baits for that area, being either Panther Martin spinners, Rapalas, chrome Phoebe lures, and beadhead Prince nymphs for artificials and just about any color Power Bait or nightcrawlers for bait. Fly or bait fishing I got bites on just about every cast.
This summer the fish seemed to be smaller than the past few years although I was still able to catch plenty of the 1.5-2lb fish for dinnertime.
Sorry, again no pics (too busy flyfishing). It's hard to put down your rod when the fish won't stop biting.
TTFM