PDA

View Full Version : Fun Day on the Redondo Special 8/4/10

Jackpot Jimmy
08-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Today, I fished on the Redondo Special out of Redondo Sportfishing. The seabass bite had opened up a little bit the day before, with free swimmers all around the boat, but not a lot of hook ups to show for it. Still, it had some great potential. First thing in the morning, I grabbed a quick breakfast at Polly’s. Then, I got a ticket and brought my stuff up on the pier and waited to load up. I was joined by my friends and fellow Redondo regulars Ray and Smitty, and quite a few other familiar faces. There would be a total of 30 anglers on the morning half day trip.

Our crew in the morning consisted of Captain Eric Hobday, Marky in the galley, and Kelsey on deck. Eric quickly went over his safety speech/game plan. We would be fishing primarily for seabass. We soon headed out of King Harbor to our fishing destination. En route, I rigged up my rods. I rigged up my kelp cutter rig with a light slider and a big hook, as we had live squid on board with plenty of fresh dead. Soon, we were at the spot.

When we anchored up, the current was going down and out, and we had to make a quick reposition. As the morning went on, we hooked and lost one fish that looked like the right kind, and we had a little pick on some big barracuda and other miscellaneous stuff. The barracuda were plentiful, but the knotheads put a damper on that real quick. I threw the jig fruitlessly for a while, and then I went back to fishing for an exotic. The current kind of died off, so we moved on to another spot.

At the next spot, we had a little bit of current, but the water was still kind of cold, hovering around 61.5 degrees. Ray and I decided to fish the plastic for a while, and Ray managed to pull some quality calicos out of the kelp, but I only caught shorts. Soon, it was time to head in.

Before the afternoon half day trip, we walked up to the pier to grab our tickets and relax for a little bit. Then, Dee collected everyone’s ticket stubs, and we boarded the boat once again. We would have 25 anglers on this trip. Joining us this afternoon was Long Range Bobby K, back from a five day on the American Angler.

We headed back to the same area and dropped anchor. Throughout the afternoon, we had a pick at some quality calicos with quite a few released. The conditions made a complete turn-around, with the water temperature at a very clean 66 degrees. The bass bite subsided and we made a quick move. After soaking squids for a little while, we had a nice little show on the yellows, with a nice 20 pound class yellowtail surrounded by a bunch of five to eight pound fish. A nicer yellowtail was hooked out of that, but it got away in the kelp. Near the end of the day, I broke out my new Pep jig and had a ball with the barelycudas.

Anyways, conditions were fantastic, but the exotics were down. They could bust wide open any day, and if the water keeps warming up, we could see a nice yellowtail bite happening somewhere down the line. The crew of the Redondo Special is top notch. Eric tries his hardest to find the fish, and Marky cooks up some of the best galley food on the whole coast. Kelsey on deck was very personable and provided help to anyone who needed it. Great times, great fishing!

Author’s Aside
I bought this Pep jig this morning after my friend Ray had very good luck on it with the barracuda recently. This jig is probably the best jig I’ve ever fished. It kicks very easily on a slow grind, and with proof from today, it drives the barracuda wild. I can’t wait to fish this for big calicos at the island!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/005-57.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/007-36.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/006-45.jpg

E.A.R.G.
08-05-2010, 12:00 AM
FABULOUS report Jimmy

always top notch!

I'm STOKED to see that you saw yellows and seabass cruising. Looks like I'm going to head out there sooner than later.
Where's the victory been fishing lately?

jerryG
08-05-2010, 12:10 AM
I couldn't agree more on the action of the Pep Jig. Have they become available again? It's been at least 20 years since I have seen them being sold. I have several pep jigs that I bought many years ago plus a few more that I managed to find over the years. When the yellows are on the surface cruising and refuse to eat anything I reach for the Pep.. That jig has caught me a lot of picky fish. In addition to yellows it has caught me some calicos and big bones too. Also agree that Marky is the best cook on the coast. He is a hell of a fisherman as well..

JerryG

DockRat
08-05-2010, 06:27 AM
water was still kind of cold, hovering around 61.5 degrees. Ray and I decided to fish the plastic for a while, and Ray managed to pull some quality calicos out of the kelp, but I only caught shorts. Soon, it was time to head in.

The conditions made a complete turn-around, with the water temperature at a very clean 66 degrees. The bass bite subsided and we made a quick move. After soaking squids for a little while, we had a nice little show on the yellows, with a nice 20 pound class yellowtail surrounded by a bunch of five to eight pound fish.

61 in August BRRRRR

Did you say YT at RP ? http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/binkty/Smilies/thclapping-1.gif

JapanRon
08-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Good gettin' out no matter what the conditions if it's not snotty !! Did a half-dayer myself yesterday. Report later. I've got some knock-offs of your Author's Aside Pep jig but I doubt they work as well as the original.

Thanks

JapanRon

murrieta angler
08-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Nice report Jimmy.
I need to hit up a cattle boat real soon here, I'm getting very itchy just sitting here and reading all the posts from out in deeper waters!
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert

chris273
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
congrats on getting on some fish & water

sjohjr
08-05-2010, 05:50 PM
what is it? what does it look like and where can i get one?

Jackpot Jimmy
08-05-2010, 07:15 PM
FABULOUS report Jimmy

always top notch!

I'm STOKED to see that you saw yellows and seabass cruising. Looks like I'm going to head out there sooner than later.

Thanks Eric! Yeah it got us excited...too bad they didn't want to stay and bite.

I couldn't agree more on the action of the Pep Jig. Have they become available again? It's been at least 20 years since I have seen them being sold. I have several pep jigs that I bought many years ago plus a few more that I managed to find over the years. When the yellows are on the surface cruising and refuse to eat anything I reach for the Pep.. That jig has caught me a lot of picky fish. In addition to yellows it has caught me some calicos and big bones too. Also agree that Marky is the best cook on the coast. He is a hell of a fisherman as well..

JerryG

Yep, the Pep jigs are being made again and are available. Definitely my go-to jig now.

61 in August BRRRRR

Did you say YT at RP ? http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/binkty/Smilies/thclapping-1.gif

Yep, there are a few yellows cruising around out there. Just takes the right conditions...

Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Good gettin' out no matter what the conditions if it's not snotty !! Did a half-dayer myself yesterday. Report later. I've got some knock-offs of your Author's Aside Pep jig but I doubt they work as well as the original.

Thanks

JapanRon

Thanks Ron! Do you know who made the knock-off version?

Nice report Jimmy.
I need to hit up a cattle boat real soon here, I'm getting very itchy just sitting here and reading all the posts from out in deeper waters!
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert

Thanks Robert! Hope to see you out fishing with us soon.

congrats on getting on some fish & water

Thank you!

what is it? what does it look like and where can i get one?

From what I understand, Baja Fish Gear in Lomita has some, and the Redondo Sportfishing office has a few, as well.

Ifishtoolittle
08-06-2010, 01:24 AM
Cool stuff Jimmy, nothing like a 1/2 day. Oh, and the knotheads ugh gosh too many of those guys just make a moo moo a little tough to fish on.

Bradakas
08-06-2010, 09:43 PM
"Killer jigs" made a "P5" jig with that same profile.