PDA

View Full Version : Big Game 90 3 1/3 day to Cedros!

toolie25
08-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I've been waiting since December for this trip and it was well worth the wait! I've never caught a yellowtail or a tuna so I was super psyched to see what my first long range trip had n store for me! With the Albacore counts being way down the last week or so for the 1.5 day to 3 day fleet, Capt. Mike Jewett on the Big Game 90 made the call once again, to reward his 35 dedicated anglers by making the long run down to Cedros Island. The long range fleet has been scoring big on the nice grade of yellowtail in the channel between Natividad and the Mainland of the Baja Peninsula. Mike made the same run on his last 3.5 day trip, and loaded the boat with hungry Jacks!

For this trip, there were a good mix of experienced offshore anglers, to some fishermen new to the mid-range grade of experience, with outstanding results for everyone. Captain Mike had the legendary Dave Williams as 2nd captain, with Brad Morgan, Justin and Brandon on deck, and master chef Jake in the galley (who graciously landed a couple of kelp pattie yellers the first day, so that fresh yellowtail tacos with all the trimmings was on the table for lunch!). Mr. Worley served as sous chef, bottle washer, server, and deck assistant - thank you SIR!

We loaded up with plenty of nicely cured sardines from the EB bait dock, and were on our way down the line. The plan was to keep our eyes open for kelps and signs of stray tuna around on the way south to the island. Several small schools of bluefin were metered, and a couple jumping enough to get folks excited, but they had lock jaw. Brad glassed a nice big kelp that afternoon that produce about a half dozen great 15-20 pound yellows - these were no dinks....they had shoulders! A couple more yellows from another kelp, then that was it for day one.

Day Two - At gray light, the BG90 was already at the SW end of the island, with a couple of the long rangers visible furthe off in the channel. Lots of life visible as the sun came up, and after a few loops around some meter marks, it was game on! Mike had advised all that the last time down, best results were had by using the heavier yo-yo iron.....and boy did that hold true! First stop was for a quick dozen, then the next stop it was full on wide open for about 90 bull back Cedros yellows! Blue and white, scrambled egg, yellow and green, it didn't matter - they were biting it all, and you new you had 'em! These Cedros Yellows got muscle - pound for pound they fight as hard as any game fish......I'd put them right up there with and equal sized bluefin. This was one of the best days fishing that most of us had experienced for consisted action on quality fish! Some were taken on bait, but most were on the iron.

The crew did an awesome job helping with the gaffs, and inevitable tangle that wide open bites will bring.....and helping save many fish from 'Barfy Whiskers" the Wonder Seals.....we shared a few with those pinniped putzes, but it's the price you pay. In between stops, the crew was fileting as we went, and dropping whole fish and bagged filets in the spray brine refrigerated hold to keep our fish nice and fresh. At the end of the day, there were smiles all around and a boat load of weary anglers. It was daily to trip limits for all, with a two day total of over 247 quality yellows, from 18 to 25 pounds.

Day Three - ended up being mostly a travel day back up the line through cold green water....lots of tasty snacks and delicious pulled pork sandwiches...lots of tales of the previous day's carnage. Late in the afternoon in some cleaner water, another decent kelp with birds sitting on it was spotted, and a couple hook ups, with my kelp cutter rig pulling in another nice 20 lbr., to get the skunk off for the day, but that was it. Great weather, a great group of anglers that worked together well, and a great crew to help out. Capt. Mike and owner Irv Grisbeck, thanks for going the extra mile(s) for your anglers!

Hats off to Jeff Specchio of Rancho Cucamonga for his Jackpot fish of 30+ pounds.....a good head and shoulders above the rest.

Ended up with 7 yellows between 20 and 26 lbs. Looking forward to many more trips in the future!

elevated
08-03-2010, 07:23 PM
whooo looks like an amazing trip!

Greg Madrigal
08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
That there sir, was a FINE report for a rookie FNNer!~ Great job on an enjoyable read-very descriptive!
Congrats on the slayage man. Thanks for sharing. My only criticism is the dink-size photos!
If you use Photobucket, in the settings, you can choose whether or not to post thumbnails, or reg. size.

Thanks again on an outstanding write up!

Greg

murrieta angler
08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Very nice report toolie!
Way to get those YT for at least a good weeks worth of dinner.
Take Care,
Robert

Ricky-Ray
08-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Jim??? Is that you?

chris273
08-04-2010, 01:12 PM
great report congrats on the slay

JapanRon
08-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi toolie25,

Thank you for the excellent ...... really nice play-by-play on the trip's adventures !

Lots of meat for the slammer !!

JapanRon

ghetto dad
08-06-2010, 09:01 AM
EXCELLENT report brother!! I need to get myself on one of those BG90 trips..havent seen Capt Mike in awhile.....

toolie25
08-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words!! It was an amazing time for sure! Here is a picture of the ONLY fish caught on the way back at a random patty and my biggest fish ever! 26lbr!

bones
08-07-2010, 07:21 PM
U R such a TOOL dude......LOL

Great to see ya slaying the Saltwater dude. FYI folks.......Toolie is NO FNN rookie. As a matter of fact he has been around this board for longer than most of the members here. Just a slight name change in 2007 after the OG Toolie went to hiding. Chicks will make ya do CRAZY things....LOL
Anyways........Great report Toolie.....Hope to see more from ya soon!

KILL KILL KILL SLAY SLAY SLAY

DockRat
08-09-2010, 05:41 AM
That is alot of YTs, Nice Job !
DR