PDA

View Full Version : Are you a meat or sport fisherman?

Ifishtoolittle
08-02-2010, 11:23 PM
I myself can say that I am a sport fisherman. I usually release any large bass I catch, large being over 2lbs. Basically I'm curious as to know how many fish does everyone keep when they hit a 1/2 or a 3/4 day. When I fish I always fish to well just catch loads of fish regardless of size or species. As for what fish I keep I normally keep less than half my limit on bass, usually take my limit on sculpin, barries usually one, and rockfish that one is quite critical usually a little over half my limit. So my message to all my fellow FNNers is that we should all fish for fun and not so much for freezer meat, I mean come on how much of your catch do you usually eat? One more thing that I hope and do believe a lot of us should do is to not take our full limits on fish every time we go on a moo moo, all fish stocks are fragile even though at times it may not seem so. Think about it decades ago a 5lb Calico was very common, today we are lucky that the Sand Bass population has rebounded.

-IF2L

(Then again maybe this message is really for the poachers on piers, the DFG should require licenses to fish on those!)

smokehound
08-02-2010, 11:59 PM
it depends.. If I'm in the mood for fish tacos, I'll go for smaller corbina or surfperch..

But mostly, i prefer the sport. I really dont like keeping fish if i dont have to.

On one hand, its better not to support fishries that commercially harvest with unsustainable methods..

But on the other hand, our fishes on our coast grow so damn slow, and take long to mature.

xjdesertfox
08-03-2010, 12:15 AM
sport, i release 10x as many fish as i keep(regardless of what swank 909 says =p) but i do take home fish to keep everynow and then to bring home to my family.

DockRat
08-03-2010, 07:01 AM
I wish for a meat run. To myself a meat run is a tuna, dorado or yt trip or halibut and calicos.

Release all sandbass, perch, sheephead, surf fish. Probably a 95% C&R guy.

Release Sheephead so they can eat sea urchins that kill kelp.
More Sheephead = More Kelp = More fish for us. PV has a Big Time Urchin Problem
and the Sheephead population at N PV is hurting while the urchin population thrives.

All The Surf Fish are in the Red Zone and the DFG EPA
says it is OK to eat 2 times a week.

Seems pretty obvious that NOBODY CARES about the DFG EPA 2010 updated DO NOT EAT List ? :Shocked:

I do not understand WHY people think these warnings are BS (maybe they are) but regaurdless is it worth taking a chance ? Why not smoke crack or meth. If you do not care about yourselfs or your family's health then then go for it. :Envious:

Post after Post of Sand Bass and Cudas in gunny sacks from the Red Zone

White Croaker, Sand Bass, Top Smelt
Barracuda, Sculpin, Calico Bass (once a week is OK)

Check out the map at the below website and look at all the species in the RED ZONE

» Do not eat white croaker, barred sand bass, barracuda, black croaker or topsmelt caught in the red zone. High levels of DDTs, PCBs and mercury have been found in these fish. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should exercise special caution, as these contaminants have been shown to lead to health problems in developing children.

Other fish species recommendations:

» Red/Yellow Zone Fishing Spots. Some fishing areas in the red zone include Cabrillo Pier, White Point, Pier J, Belmont Pier and Point Vicente as well as the piers in Santa Monica , Marina Del Rey and the South Bay . Some fishing areas in the yellow zone include the piers in Ventura , Malibu , Huntington Beach and San Mateo Point.

See the Red Zone and 2010 warnings.

http://joomla.pvsfish.org/index.php/southern-california-fish-consumption-advisory

Save the Sheephead ! Urchins eat the Holdroot !

Before we had Otters, Abalone, and Big Lobsters, and Sheephead to eat sea urchins.

Now we only have Sheephead and a few big Lobsters.

More kelp also means more kelp paddies for FNNers to save gas when paddy hoppin.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/cole5x/kelp.jpg DR

chris273
08-03-2010, 08:58 AM
I myself can say that I am a sport fisherman. I usually release any large bass I catch, large being over 2lbs. Basically I'm curious as to know how many fish does everyone keep when they hit a 1/2 or a 3/4 day. When I fish I always fish to well just catch loads of fish regardless of size or species. As for what fish I keep I normally keep less than half my limit on bass, usually take my limit on sculpin, barries usually one, and rockfish that one is quite critical usually a little over half my limit. So my message to all my fellow FNNers is that we should all fish for fun and not so much for freezer meat, I mean come on how much of your catch do you usually eat? One more thing that I hope and do believe a lot of us should do is to not take our full limits on fish every time we go on a moo moo, all fish stocks are fragile even though at times it may not seem so. Think about it decades ago a 5lb Calico was very common, today we are lucky that the Sand Bass population has rebounded.

-IF2L

(Then again maybe this message is really for the poachers on piers, the DFG should require licenses to fish on those!)

i dont eat fish lol so i c/r or give my fish to whoever wants them

fisherman from long beach
08-03-2010, 09:48 AM
i can say both,i catch maybe and keep maybe 3-4 bass.just for a lil fish fry,and release when i think i have enough.i dont like wasting fish,need to preserve for the future.

Ray Lopez
08-03-2010, 10:35 AM
On the boats i typically keep my catch for meat. I hardly ever go out on the moo moos so when i do i like to make a meat run for myself and my family since we all love fish!!!!

But from the surf i have yet to keep anything, since i do that allot 100% C&R on the beach.

smokehound
08-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I wish for a meat run. To myself a meat run is a tuna, dorado or yt trip or halibut and calicos.

Release all sandbass, perch, sheephead, surf fish. Probably a 95% C&R guy.

Release Sheephead so they can eat sea urchins that kill kelp.
More Sheephead = More Kelp = More fish for us. PV has a Big Time Urchin Problem
and the Sheephead population at N PV is hurting while the urchin population thrives.

All The Surf Fish are in the Red Zone and the DFG EPA
says it is OK to eat 2 times a week.

Seems pretty obvious that NOBODY CARES about the DFG EPA 2010 updated DO NOT EAT List ? :Shocked:

I do not understand WHY people think these warnings are BS (maybe they are) but regaurdless is it worth taking a chance ? Why not smoke crack or meth. If you do not care about yourselfs or your family's health then then go for it. :Envious:

Post after Post of Sand Bass and Cudas in gunny sacks from the Red Zone

White Croaker, Sand Bass, Top Smelt
Barracuda, Sculpin, Calico Bass (once a week is OK)

Check out the map at the below website and look at all the species in the RED ZONE

» Do not eat white croaker, barred sand bass, barracuda, black croaker or topsmelt caught in the red zone. High levels of DDTs, PCBs and mercury have been found in these fish. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should exercise special caution, as these contaminants have been shown to lead to health problems in developing children.

Other fish species recommendations:

» Red/Yellow Zone Fishing Spots. Some fishing areas in the red zone include Cabrillo Pier, White Point, Pier J, Belmont Pier and Point Vicente as well as the piers in Santa Monica , Marina Del Rey and the South Bay . Some fishing areas in the yellow zone include the piers in Ventura , Malibu , Huntington Beach and San Mateo Point.

See the Red Zone and 2010 warnings.

http://joomla.pvsfish.org/index.php/southern-california-fish-consumption-advisory

Save the Sheephead ! Urchins eat the Holdroot !

Before we had Otters, Abalone, and Big Lobsters, and Sheephead to eat sea urchins.

Now we only have Sheephead and a few big Lobsters.

More kelp also means more kelp paddies for FNNers to save gas when paddy hoppin.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/cole5x/kelp.jpg DRAbalone dont eat urchins o_O

In fact there's a steep decline in urchin numbers now. A powerful storm is far more likely to damage kelp than urchins.

DockRat
08-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Could go for a shark/meat run ? Ain't got no fish in the freezer :Idea:

Abalone dont eat urchins o_O

In fact there's a steep decline in urchin numbers now. A powerful storm is far more likely to damage kelp than urchins.

I don't know about a 'sharp decline' ? Where ? Guys have been harvesting Rocky Pt to Vicente alot lately. Saw one Asian guy unload 300 lbs for a one mornings work at Pt Vicente. Big ones too. N PV has smaller more light purple ones that are 'low quality poor grade' I'm told.

Yah your right, my bad. Will start a Urchin/Kelp post not to threadjack too much.

Abalone ?
They use a radula, an organ with many sharp teeth, in order to munch down their salty meal. Abalone have to watch out for greedy sea urchins! The urchins will compete for food and space against the abalone, and usually the urchins win!

http://www.oceanlink.info/Conservation/abalone/BHCAP/biology.html

DR

FISHINGBEE
08-03-2010, 09:57 PM
think i shall stay out of this one.

Ifishtoolittle
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Preserve our fisheries!

jim young
08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Has anyone ever had LMB on the BBQ? It's really good. My Aunts and Uncles all love it too. We caught like 20 last week at Piru and cooked them up...Good Stuff!

smokehound
08-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Has anyone ever had LMB on the BBQ? It's really good. My Aunts and Uncles all love it too. We caught like 20 last week at Piru and cooked them up...Good Stuff!I prefer Blue Whale, stuffed with dolphin, and garnished with babies. >:D

murrieta angler
08-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I have only kept one fish from the surf, just to try it.
I usually keep half of what I catch, but once in a while, I will take all home.
Kinda just depends on the size of the fish and species also.

elevated
08-04-2010, 08:59 PM
probably a 85% C&R guy. I mean I do love fish but I release anything I know I'm not going to eat within 2 days of keeping it. I won't lie though I am looking forward to keeping just one legal hali to eat, someday. After I get that one, I'll release many more than I keep.

LunkerLover
08-05-2010, 12:16 AM
100% C % R ... ALL species, except stripers, regardless of where I catch them.

I do crave the occasional juvenile Black Sea Bass, in a nice Girabaldi white wine sauce, on a bed of female Largemouth Bass full of eggs....

E.A.R.G.
08-05-2010, 12:50 AM
I release ALL my catalina blue perch. so i guess i'm 100% C&R for those.
And I release my little macs, with a nice nose piercing in them too!

E.A.R.G.
08-05-2010, 12:51 AM
I prefer Blue Whale, stuffed with dolphin, and garnished with babies. >:D

Ah hahaha Good one! LOL

DockRat
08-05-2010, 05:16 AM
And I release my little macs, with a nice nose piercing in them too!

Right on, all macs should be released in htis manner.
DR

smokehound
08-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Right on, all macs should be released in htis manner.
DRI did give a bonito a prince albert on accident once at HB pier. Hooked the poor thing right in the vent.

It's nice to keep a fresh fish every now and then.. just make sure you're going to cook it.

Nothing lamer than killing something just to show people what you caught..

Ricky-Ray
08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm both. Most of the time I do release more than I keep but there are times where I will keep it all, and the fish does not go to waste.

boxl0bster
08-06-2010, 12:25 AM
i usually dont keep any fish unless its from somewhere like SARL or Irvine lake etc..the other times i keep fish are mainly on a moo moo or if i hook a fish too deep and its not going to make it. but when i do keep fish, nothing is wasted. none of that fillet junk like they do on the moo moos where half the fish is thrown away...

Ifishtoolittle
08-06-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm both. Most of the time I do release more than I keep but there are times where I will keep it all, and the fish does not go to waste.

Alright nice no wasting of any fish.

Ifishtoolittle
08-06-2010, 01:15 AM
i usually dont keep any fish unless its from somewhere like SARL or Irvine lake etc..the other times i keep fish are mainly on a moo moo or if i hook a fish too deep and its not going to make it. but when i do keep fish, nothing is wasted. none of that fillet junk like they do on the moo moos where half the fish is thrown away...

Yeah I hear you moo moos waste half a fish just taking a crappy filet and dumping the good parts back in the drink.

DockRat
08-06-2010, 05:59 AM
Yeah I hear you moo moos waste half a fish just taking a crappy filet and dumping the good parts back in the drink.

They do waste alot. Gave a guy $5 for the saving the bellies on some Dorado in the 80's.
Ended up with about 10 lbs that would have gone overboard.
DR