PDA

View Full Version : WFO on the jetty pancakes!

bsp
08-02-2010, 08:57 PM
After hour Mammoth excursion, dad and I decided some halibut fishing was in order. Since he caught his first trout in 1.5yrs from his arm injury, we decided that it was time for our favorite, the halibut!

Made the drive to a very well known halibut spot as the tides looked like it would productive. I set dad up with the dropshot rig on his Phenix 706M and Stradic 2500, and I chose to try out my new cardinal Phenix XG1 G790 crankbait stick, which made the perfect USC rod with my gold Luna 203. Slapped on the Flash Minnow 110 and went to work.

5 minute into it, dad gets thumped and pancake on!

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1471.jpg

Another 10min later, and I get slammed. My pancake.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1473.jpg

Dad stuck 2 on the new T&C grub! Here's one.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1474.jpg

I know I said we caught 9 shorts and there are only 3 pix. The thing is, the rest were about 14in and less. Not picture worthy, and we shook them off in the water. If you want to call BS, that's fine. We had an awesome time, and can't wait to go back to our true calling, the surf.

Tight lines guys, the halibut are in so get some!

Marc

jerryG
08-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Marc,

Well done, glad to see you guys made it out.. There are some well known halibut areas that are also well known for going off during fall hopefully this fall the bite will be a great one.

JerryG

fisherman from long beach
08-03-2010, 08:28 AM
nice thanks for the pics and report.

Fishbones
08-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Congrats on the p-cakes and thanks for sharing.

murrieta angler
08-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Good to see you and your Pops going off on the Halibut Marc.
Very encouraging for the rest of us!
Robert

DockRat
08-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Thats some good numbers on the shorts.
DR

bones
08-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Great job Marc!
Props to pops for finally getting in the swing of things. It's about time he stuck a few..........Can't wait until your dad sticks a big old legal.

Wingnut
08-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Sounds like an action packed day Marc... thanks for the call. :Wink:
Really good to see Dad out there fishing again... hope to fish you guys soon. :Cool:

bsp
08-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Marc,

Well done, glad to see you guys made it out.. There are some well known halibut areas that are also well known for going off during fall hopefully this fall the bite will be a great one.

JerryG

Thanks Jerry, I actually tried that area we were talking about out today. Only got one short, but the structure was truly incredible at low tide. I only brought an LC rod, but was wishing I had the dropshot stick to work this trough. I definitely hope the fall bite stays through winter so I can enjoy it! Not sure how college is going to cut into fishing time, but hope it's not too bad.

Hope to fish with you soon,

Marc

nice thanks for the pics and report.

Thanks FFLB. You've been doing really well yourself on the flatties.

Congrats on the p-cakes and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Fishbones, glad you liked it.

Good to see you and your Pops going off on the Halibut Marc.
Very encouraging for the rest of us!
Robert

Robert, they are out there right now, and in a lot more places than people would think! Hope to see you stick some soon,
Marc

Thats some good numbers on the shorts.
DR

Thanks DR.

Great job Marc!
Props to pops for finally getting in the swing of things. It's about time he stuck a few..........Can't wait until your dad sticks a big old legal.

Mike, I would trade all my legal halibut catching potential for the whole year for him to stick one. He's very happy to be fishing again, and actually told me he'll be continuing for some solo trips while I'm in college.

Hope to fish with ya soon,

Marc

Sounds like an action packed day Marc... thanks for the call. :Wink:
Really good to see Dad out there fishing again... hope to fish you guys soon. :Cool:

Thanks Arthur, and any time my friend. You know that SWAT always gets the latest intel from me. Dad was stoked and actually led me in the count. 5 to my 4.

Looking forward to hitting the surf again soon,

Marc

flyngby
08-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Marc,

Nice day out there with dad! Hope to work the surf combat style with you again before your school kicks in!

bsp
08-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Marc,

Nice day out there with dad! Hope to work the surf combat style with you again before your school kicks in!

Glad you enjoyed it Steve, and same here!