PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Dawn 7/20 & 7/21

MikeW
07-22-2007, 08:04 PM
We went on our annual albacore trip with the guys on the Pacific Dawn. The trip this year was a memorial for a very close friend, fellow fisherman and coworker that passed away very unexpectedly recently. As always the captain (Pat) and crew (Opy and Mike) were outstanding. As we were leaving the docks one of the other boats was coming in and the guts onboard did not look happy. The reports were of terrible weather and no fish of any signifacant numbers. We headed out with a little less enthusiasim, but as they say you never know.

The next morning we started trolling, and after about an hour we had on hit the corner. We stopped and picked up a couple of bait fsh and that was it. It continued like this all morning and jig strike and a couple of bait fish. Around noon we noticed that the wind was really laying down and the ocean was smoothing out. about one o'clock we made a stop for sixteen fish and everybody started to get excited. Next stop we pulled in twenty. Now we are all really going and bam it shuts down. We try and try but the fish just don't want to play. Then at around five o'clock the fish decide to turn it on. Fish are jumping and boiling all around the boat. You throw in a sardine and count to three and you're hooked up, At one point it looked like all sixteen of us are bendo. The cook decides to have some fun an throws a sardine on a freshwater bass rod with 8lb line. He instantly hooks up and 45 minutes later successfully lands a 20lb albie to the cheers of everyone. Final score for the day 135 albacore. About this time we notice the ocean is dead calm and glassy. We all eat a late dinner and get a great night sleep thanks to the workout and perfect conditions.

Next morning we move about 1/4 mile and fish start going off everywhere. Everyone hooks up and were off. Next thing we know tje captain is yelling no more fish were at linits. We look and it's only 7:30 0r 8:00 and were done. We all decide to head to the Coronado's and goof around a little, but the seal lions are having a field day. We call it quits early and head back to the dock.

Today was spent canning and vacuum sealing fish (all day!) I think I'm more tired from this than the trip. I will try to post some pictures when I get them from my buddy this week. We did a jackpot for 1st. 2nd and 3rd place fish. Two of the prizes were rod and reel setups from Fishin Fools with our friends name laminated on them and the remaining was the normal jackpot money. I wasn't able to repeat my beginners luck like last year and get top fish, but I did manage to just get in for third.

The majority of the fish were caught on 25 or 30lb test with some of us using fluorocarbon leader. It didn't seem to make to much difference though.

In retrospect I know that Gary was looking down on us and smiling. Here's to you Gary.

ThanksKK
07-22-2007, 09:21 PM
nice catch. lucky.

JapanRon
07-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi MikeW,

Sigh ! Sorry about the buddy. Sigh ! Tuna Fishing ! Wonder if the guys that were coming in on the boat as you were leaving will read of your good fortune here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice report .... thanks for the effort,

JapanRon

jeff4321
07-30-2007, 09:10 AM
GREAT JOB, Pacific Dawn is 1st class FOR SURE!

happy to see that the bite is finally picking up again!