PDA

View Full Version : Gonna try the big hammer swimbaits for the first time 2morrow Any last minute advice?

Jorge323
08-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Im heading out to the mdr jetty tomorrow and its gonna be my first time using lures in the salt. Some last minute tips anyone? Im excited to try these big hammers for the first time since everyone is saying how great they are. Hopefully i beat the skunk!

bsp
08-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Lift and drop retrieve, slow wind above the bottom, slow wind bumping the bottom, slow wind with a fast crank and drop... basically, mess with it until you find what the fish like. Try Pearl swimbaits too if you can find them. Good baits and I like them a bit more than Big Hammers since they tend to last a bit longer.

flyngby
08-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Marc gave some solid advice there!

It comes with experience but there is one key word in his advice! SLOW and keep it near the structure!

bayfishingjunkie
08-02-2010, 08:57 PM
from my experience MDR likes the bigger big hammers , dark colors bigger leadheads and a superslow retrive.. I personally throw my swimbaits in MDR using a 6' 15-25# rated bass rod, with a highspeed baitcaster(Browning syntec) with 20# mono and have caught large sandies to 6# and legal halis. I catch more fish at MDR using that then with my standard 12# rig and smaller swimbaits..

Good luck and what time will ya be there maybe I will see you there.