PDA

View Full Version : LNL Good News

jdmac1
08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I read this a week or so ago in Western Outdoor News. I did a search on Laguna Niguel Lake (lnl) but didn't see the WON article posted. . I have been float tubeing\shore fishing LNL for 10 years and I have always enjoyed the lake. I'm looking forward to the 2010 trout season. The Utah hook jaws are a blast to catch, great fighters.

WON article
“LAGUNA NIGUEL – Laguna Niguel Lake is under new management. Former management. Rick Mendoza, the original owner who started the lake concession in 1994, is back after a six-year absence and has teamed up with his friend and business partner Darren Colbert. Mendoza and Colbert have entered into a 15-year lease with the County of Orange.

“In the past 11 days the aerator/diffuser system has been fixed and is up and running,” said Mendoza. “Oxygen levels are good in all areas of the lake. After reports of a fish kill three years ago due to low oxygen levels we are happy to report that there are still a good number of large catfish being caught. We also have a large population of smaller bluegill and crappie. Although the majority of the lake’s ‘double digit’ bass are gone, there is still a healthy population of younger bass to 3 pounds in size.”

The new management will be working hard to get the lake and the fishery back to the condition it was six years ago.

“We plan on clearing a lot of vegetation around the shoreline and sinking some trees for additional structure,” said Mendoza. “The creek inlet will be cleared and fishing conditions will improve. We have made arrangements for bringing in the “hook jaw’ rainbow trout from Utah this November, plus we plan on a several derbies and youth clinics. We also plan to start monthly stockings of catfish next year.”

Mendoza added that all rental boats have been power washed along with the boat dock and the surrounding area and the concession building has been stocked.

New hours of operation are 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, and 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Rates have been dramatically reduced for the summer, with permits only $10 per day for all ages. Boat rentals are $10 per hour or $25 all day".

goodguy
08-02-2010, 02:14 PM
That's great news! The lake has been on a long drop down since Rick left!

Fishbones
08-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the post, great news for sure..

BassEngineer
08-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Where did my post go??? Fishbones, did you delete it?

BassEngineer
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Can you please tell me why my LNL post was deleted? I was telling the truth about how bad the bass fishing has been...and it got deleted.

I had a couple of other posts deleted also...because I had a link in it...meanwhile I see sooo many posts with links in it. I am starting to take this personally.

jdmac1
08-06-2010, 08:41 AM
I have never bass fished at LNL and if I did catch one it was by mistake. I also have never fished for catfish although I’m thinking about going tomorrow. I’ll have to call the office and see if it would be worth a trip.

I only fish for trout Nov-April. I think they have one of the best trout stockings around. And with the new old mgmt back it should only get better. Last year it started out with huge fish and towards the end of the season they where your average stockers. It’s the float tube heaven of all the local pay lakes. You don’t have to worry about boats hitting you and you can easily cruse the lake without being in super shape.

I do have to say that the last year or so I noticed a few shore fisherman have started using heavier weights to send the line way out (like Irvine, SARL and Corona). The previous years it wasn’t so bad. I don’t know how many times I was nearly hit and then yelled\cussed at. I’m not sure what the fishing etiquette is on this. Do shore fisherman own the space between shore and how far they can heave a 2oz weight? To be fair I have seen a few float tubers who fish to close to shore and deserve to be asked to move out a bit more. I shore fish also but I know most of the fish are caught within a much shorter distance.

They also have the best fishing cleaning station I have ever seen.

BassEngineer
08-06-2010, 09:09 AM
jdmac1 - I float tube quite a bit there during the trout season and I agree when you say it is THE BEST PLACE to float tube and catch trout...especially during the trout stocking season. I can't remember the last time I didn't catch a limit while float tubing. (I have never fished the shoreline for trout there.)
I will go about every other month to see if the bass bite has turned back on...I went about 6 weeks ago and I got skunked...again.

Last summer catfishing was amazing becasue they did stock catfish, but they haven't this year. I think you are better off going to the Vine right now for cats.