PDA

View Full Version : Castaic advice

2jackedLUNGS
08-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm planning on hitting up Castaic to catch my first striper. Never really fished for striper before and I've been reading about people using anchovies and sardines. What kind of rig are most people using? (line, hook size, sinker, etc.) You just drop the bait straight down? Or drift it? Thanks.

Lowe Boat
08-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Use a Carolina rig.
Use sardines with either a split shot or fly line. Size 1,1-0 or 2-0 hook. It is well worth the money to purchase high quality hooks, such as Owner or Gamakatsu.
The main line does not have to be expensive, nor does the pole or reel.
Use a high quality flourcarbon leader line, at least 2-3 feet. ( I use Seagur Invsix 6lb)
Just drop the line straight down, unless you want to troll with an umbrella rig.
Lately the fish are very are bitieing well at the bouy line or Sharon's rest.
If you want to really treat yourself, hire Trout Only. (see add above.)

2jackedLUNGS
08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Use a Carolina rig.
Use sardines with either a split shot or fly line. Size 1,1-0 or 2-0 hook. It is well worth the money to purchase high quality hooks, such as Owner or Gamakatsu.
Use a high quality flourcarbon leader line, at least 2-3 feet. ( I use Seagur Invsix 6lb)
Just drop the line straight down, unless you want to troll with an umbrella rig.

Thanks Lowe!

Monster_223
08-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Use a Carolina rig.

I never use flourcarbon before, so which will be better and stronger for a leader a 10lb mono or a 6lb fluorocarbon? I usually use 10 mono for main and 10lb mono for leader. wanna try out 10lb or 12lb mono for main and 6lb fluorocarbon or should I just go all 10lb fluorocarbon? U guys think that should be enough for dd?

fishinone
08-02-2010, 04:52 PM
The flourocarbon has a refractive index that's almost equal to the refractive index of water. The light doesn't change direction when it goes from water to flouro or vice versa, so the fish can't see it. That's it's main advantage. It's also abrasion resistant which is a good thing.

The 10 lb mono is stronger but if you don't get hit, stronger doesn't help. If you set a good drag at 3 lb and use 6lb flouro the fish won't break it very often. You'll catch more fish.

dixoncider
08-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Get the floro....it works..

Guy with bent rod 818
08-07-2010, 05:32 AM
I never use flourcarbon before, so which will be better and stronger for a leader a 10lb mono or a 6lb fluorocarbon? I usually use 10 mono for main and 10lb mono for leader. wanna try out 10lb or 12lb mono for main and 6lb fluorocarbon or should I just go all 10lb fluorocarbon? U guys think that should be enough for dd?

If you are in open water use the 6lb . you will get bit more than on the 10 lb. & it is possible to land a dd on less than 10 lb test. you need the right rod/reel combo with a smooth drag. You can also set your drag super loose and
while you fight your fish pump the rod upwards with your finger holding spool so it pulls line up and reel down. With your finger on the spool controlling the drag if your fish does that striper dig for the 3rd and 4th time you
can give him the line without stretching it to the point of breaking. your average dd using this method can take 10
minutes or more to land and if you are anchored up with other boats around your dd is probably going to find an
anchor rope to wrap and get free. I have also had it where my dd wraps in another boats fishing lines and they think they are bit and fish on! When stripey comes in you have to prove whose hook is in the mouth.

TroutOnly
08-07-2010, 09:39 PM
if you want to be a bait boy get some sardines and go to the bouyline,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,