PDA

View Full Version : New to saltwater fishing!!!

keada714
08-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Hello Guys and Gals

First of all I would like to say that I have been fishing since a young lad and at 21, I finally got a hold of a 18 feet boat that I have been launching off of South Shore Launch Ramp. I love fishing and the few times that I have been out there in the long beach harbor, I didn't have much luck. I caught and released some small sand bass. I was wondering if someone can give me some pointers on where and when to fish around these area. I have fished the break wall and I'm not sure what it is called but they are basically three different islands. I'm also trying to stay within the break wall since I do not feel too comfortable taking the boat outside the break wall. But I wouldn't mind venturing off a little if it is worth it. I would like to also point out that I do not have a GPS or fish finder. Looking forward to some tips from fellow members of this awesome forum!!

bowler
08-01-2010, 09:20 PM
try taking your boat to Newport Back Bay. You can get yourself into Halibut and Spot Bay Bass.

Hometown
08-02-2010, 01:33 PM
You should get yourself a fishfinder as soon as possible and if your comfortable fishing at night the bass fishing can be good at the middle breakwater .I have a EAGLE CUDA 168 FISHFINDER IM THINKING OF SELLING CHEAP PM ME IF YOUR INTERESTED.
Hello Guys and Gals

First of all I would like to say that I have been fishing since a young lad and at 21, I finally got a hold of a 18 feet boat that I have been launching off of South Shore Launch Ramp. I love fishing and the few times that I have been out there in the long beach harbor, I didn't have much luck. I caught and released some small sand bass. I was wondering if someone can give me some pointers on where and when to fish around these area. I have fished the break wall and I'm not sure what it is called but they are basically three different islands. I'm also trying to stay within the break wall since I do not feel too comfortable taking the boat outside the break wall. But I wouldn't mind venturing off a little if it is worth it. I would like to also point out that I do not have a GPS or fish finder. Looking forward to some tips from fellow members of this awesome forum!!

murrieta angler
08-02-2010, 07:34 PM
If you ask nicely, someone might let you "Buddy Boat" with them. That is, meet them at the dock and follow them around.
It would definately be in your best interest to purchase a fish finder and GPS to log your spots.
You could always turtle back the cattle boats also. They don't like it, but it's not illegal.
Robert

keada714
08-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the response guys!! I really appreciate the information provided above! I will most likely invest in a fish finder and gps in the near future. However, in the mean time, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mark