PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

M@M
08-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm using 1oz Rattletrap,KPN,jigs with 1oz heads and 1oz bucktails.......water flowing SO FAST.. just seems to take off and by the time I retrieve lures been pulled to the edge.....should I be retrieving quickly, slowly..waiting for lure to hit bottom???? I've been casting upstream,down stream,straight across....... I really don't know what I'm doing:Embarrassed:.....on a positve note I'm not losing nearly the lures I usually do:Smile:.....I've never caught a striper when water is flowing....always hear it's suppose to be better fishing during flow...But this water is moving strong and fast........ NEED ADVICE!!!! Thanks

Been out half a dozen times last two weeks can't seem to find fish..............OK now it's a report:Smile:

yolo
08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
A 1oz bucktail, especially with a trailer on is too buoyant for the full flows. I usually use the 2oz in the heavy summer flows if you want to get to the bottom and bounce. The 1oz lipless lures will get down when reeled. You can let them sink and then work it up from the bottom. I do retrieve somewhat fast. Depends on what your reel's gear ratio is and which way you are working it. Casting up flow you have to retrieve fairly fast. Casting down not so much because the current is giving the lure action. On bucktails, I like to cast up and bounce it back on the bottom with the flow. If casting across and down, I just usually grind it back with some rod lift and fall. For me, most of the bucktail hits and jig head with swimbait or soft jerk bait hits come on the fall mid water column. Next would be the bottom bouncing. Vertical jigging works too at certain spots where you have access right over the middle of the duct (bridge with no fence, siphon outlet that is open with no fencing around it, but with much less flow than we are having now.

M@M
08-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks Z . I was using a trailer...I'll try the 2oz bucktails........ So if your getting hit on the fall, I take it your line is fairly tight....I'm probably leaving too much slack on my line after I cast trying to let the lure sink?

Mike274
08-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Yolo is correct. In this instance it doesn't matter whether you are using artificials or bait, or really what you are fishing for. It matters only how you want to fish said item. Huh? confusing I know. Bottom line is this, whether you fish a river or the ocean you need to use enough weight to get your bait or lure down to the feeding/strike zone. The higher the current, or swing I call, it the more weight you need to get to the bottom.

I have fished the Owens river with the smallest split shot one day, only to need 1/4 to 3/8oz the very next day. The current will dictate.

Mike

M@M
08-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks Mike

M@M
08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm going again tonight after work to practice some more. Will be using 2oz bucktails and 1oz Rat L trap...I'm hoping to have something to report!

M@M
08-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Went out last night after work, started fishing at 7;30pm...fished about a mile stretch ....forgot LIGHT so had to quit at 9:30pm..........NO BITES......used 2oz bucktail, soft swimbait 3/4ozjig head, 3/4 oz Rat L Trap...only lost one lure, a 2oz bucktail:Smile:....THE HUNT CONTINUES...........
...................the world worst fisherman, Mike: