PDA

View Full Version : NPH Help and Advice Needed

Legacyz
07-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about heading over to NPH this weekend since I've been hearing some raving actions on it. I've always been a lake person so I never fished at a harbor before in my life!

I been to Newport Pier a couple of time catching mackerals but I was hoping to target some other fish this time.

Does anyone know any good locations around the harbor for me to start? Also any tips on any type of lures/baits/lines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

xjdesertfox
07-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Berkley Gulp! jerkshad in nuclear chicken/new penny 5"

i use 10lbs powerpro braid with 8lbs seaguar topshot, but mono backing should work just as well.

dropshot or texas rig the jerkshad. 3/0 EWG hook.

This will get you started with just about anything you encounter in the harbor, experiment with different types of gulp and freshwater bass baits and you'll find your go-to bait.

My favorite harbor bait is a JDM soft plastic that i have to order online, but is intended to be a LMB bait.

Legacyz
07-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks so much for the tips really appreciate them.

I had a quick question though, any tips on the location? It seems like the harbor are surrounded by shops and residents, is there any place thats off limits?

Thanks again

TFC_arvilJDM
07-30-2010, 10:13 PM
25lb test, 3oz torpedo, #2 circle hook, a whole sqiud, dropper loop rig, cast out far, set clicker, and hold on tight!

Haha, Bat Ray City!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh720sX0Shk

And for spotties, i use 3/8 white lead head w/ Sexy Smelt Hammer Tail on 8lb test.

Goodluck!

TFC_arvilJDM
07-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks so much for the tips really appreciate them.

I had a quick question though, any tips on the location? It seems like the harbor are surrounded by shops and residents, is there any place thats off limits?

Thanks again

If you have a fishing lic, you can fish the whole shore & public docks.

Legacyz
07-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all the great tips, really appreciate it.