PDA

View Full Version : Catalina Seabass 7/26-7/27

webmaster
07-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Still on the quest for my first legal seabass in a long time (and Eric's first ever) so Eric (E.A.R.G.) and I set out for Catalina monday afternoon. There was no squid available at the Long Beach receivers so we purchased some nice sardines from San Pedro Bait and headed over to the west end.

We pull up around 7pm to a nice looking kelp line and set out some frozen squid and sardines. Another boat down the line starts hooking the right kind and I tell Eric to get ready because we're next. Within minutes Eric gets bit on the squid and it's game on. The fish is battling hard and shaking his head, all of a sudden his line goes limp - heartbreak.

Get the lines back out and I am next with the live sardine - zzzzzzzz, set the hook and it's on! After a short battle, a nice 15 pounder hits the deck.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/tmp/jeffseabass1-1.jpg

First one for me since 2002 - and that's not for lack of effort... Felt real good to finally land one, but I wanted Eric to get his first, so we wasted no time getting the lines back out.

Minutes later Eric gets bit again, he sets the hook and says, "I think it's a mackeral". I tell him I don't know it looks pretty solid. Just as I say that the thing takes off on a huge run - yep, right kind. This one battled much harder but Eric battled him well (all those batrays make good practice!) and soon I sink the steel into a 25 pounder - Eric's first legal seabass!

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/tmp/ericseabass1-1.jpg

Soon after dark the bite dies down so we move around the island in search of squid. We found the squid boats working off Arrow Point. Tried to make some but had light problems so we bought some from the LBC and headed back to the seabass spot.

Around 5:30 am I get another hookup but he breaks off (these things got teeth!). Nothing after that but alot of calicos, mackeral perch. Most of the calicos were 10-11 inches but we did land a few larger models including this 6-7 pounder.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/tmp/jeffcalico1-1.jpg

About 5pm we're almost out of squid so I'm soaking a small live mackeral that I caught and zzzzzzzzz - set the hook and it's on again. This one felt like a big boy, peeling off #40 pound and turning the boat around. After a short battle and a few headshakes he breaks me off - grrrrr.

We fished hard until sundown but they never really came through like the previous night. headed back home with big smiles and smoking the victory cigar! Eric, we still need to get you your first YT (and my first for the year). I have a feeling that will happen real soon....

EL_CHIDO
07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
CHA-CHING!

Nice score, I'm still looking to redeem myself on the ghost that broke off last month.

blackberg
07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Hmm, I see that no fishbones = seabass, thats your problem right there :Envious:

JK

nice going to catch one finally,
-bb

cutbait
07-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Congrats man!!! You've earned it the hard way.

Gawry must be heart broke!

troutdog
07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Nice job on the wsb guys, sounds like a great day on the water!

TD

E.A.R.G.
07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
YESS!!!!

FREAKING fantastic!!!

what a trip! I just finished pan frying some up with oregano, cajun seasoning, parsley, some salt pepper , finished with a dash of lemon.
AMAZING!!!

Thanks Skipper for getting us on that sea bass!!!
VICTORY!!

fishinone
07-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Awesome report Jeff. You're persistence paid off.

How do WSB respond to steel leader?

Congrats on the WSB guys.

klocked
07-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Nice job on those sea bass Jeff and Eric!!!
Eric, thats a great feeling on your 1st one isn't it!!

E.A.R.G.
07-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Nice job on those sea bass Jeff and Eric!!!
Eric, thats a great feeling on your 1st one isn't it!!

yeaah definitely!
Now I know how you felt when you got yours a month or so back. But you had a yellowtail to go with it! haha mines gonna come soon I hope!

klocked
07-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Yep, that YT really pushed me over the edge, I couldn't stop smiling all the way back to the launch.
I have no doubt that you'll be getting your YT soooooon!!!!!!!!!

tree
07-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh GOODNESS that's a pretty fish! Congrats!

JapanRon
07-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi webmaster,

Nice job on the fishys !! Thanks for the encouragement thru the report. Going on charter Aug 2nd to target the critters. Doubt if I get a fish as I'll be using Bass tackle, and plastics ONLY !! We'll see !!

JapanRon

Native Gal
07-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Nice, Very Nice WSB Gents, Congrats!

NG
:Envious:

murrieta angler
07-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Glad to hear you got your WSB finally Jeff.
I still have never caught one, but hopefully that will change soon.
Thanks for the report and pics.
Why was your post so wide?
Robert

Seņor.Chilax
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Nice white seabass! Perseverance pays off. :Thumbs Up:

vince champion
07-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the read and congrats to both of you!

Jackpot Jimmy
07-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Nice job guys, congrats!!

webmaster
07-29-2010, 09:40 PM
CHA-CHING!

Nice score, I'm still looking to redeem myself on the ghost that broke off last month.

I feel your pain man. Had quite a few break me off over the last few years.

Hmm, I see that no fishbones = seabass, thats your problem right there :Envious:

JK

nice going to catch one finally,
-bb

Yeah, that guy hogs all the fish!

Congrats man!!! You've earned it the hard way.

Gawry must be heart broke!

Thanks Mike. Gotta put in the hours if you want the reward.

YESS!!!!

FREAKING fantastic!!!

what a trip! I just finished pan frying some up with oregano, cajun seasoning, parsley, some salt pepper , finished with a dash of lemon.
AMAZING!!!

Thanks Skipper for getting us on that sea bass!!!
VICTORY!!

Your welcome Eric. it was great seeing you get your first seabass. Mine was great too. Beer-battered fish and chips style with fresh fried zuchinni instead of potatoes. awesome!

Awesome report Jeff. You're persistence paid off.

How do WSB respond to steel leader?

Congrats on the WSB guys.

Thanks Ron. I don't know about the steel leader, it was hard enough to get them to bite the straight mono. I guess if they were in a full on frenzy I might try it.

Hi webmaster,

Nice job on the fishys !! Thanks for the encouragement thru the report. Going on charter Aug 2nd to target the critters. Doubt if I get a fish as I'll be using Bass tackle, and plastics ONLY !! We'll see !!

JapanRon

Thanks Ron. Good luck on your charter - you never know. If I could get one on the dean and Eric on frozen squid, it's possible!

Glad to hear you got your WSB finally Jeff.
I still have never caught one, but hopefully that will change soon.
Thanks for the report and pics.
Why was your post so wide?
Robert

Thanks Robert. Keep trying, you'll get one someday. Don't know why the post is wide. I used 640x480 photos.

Swank909
07-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Holy crap Eric your face is light up like a Christmas Tree! Grats on your first WSB and GJ Webmaster on finding the feesh

BrandonFish
07-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Great read congrats on the WSB WM congrats on your first legal White Sea Bass Eric too bad the other fish broke off. thats a beasty calico you caught WM a succesful outing indeed.

TroutOnly
07-30-2010, 07:51 AM
NICE FISH JEFF,I LOVE THOSE BIG SEABASS,AND THAT CALICO IS PRETTY NICE ALSO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,

Fishbones
07-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Congrats to both of you, Nice calico too...

flyngby
08-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Jeff & Eric,

Congrats on getting the long streak over!

Nice WSB and Toad!

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-03-2010, 09:46 AM
(shorter response-2nd attempt -having trouble with my screen view and the site taking my post)

Now THATS what I'm talkin bout buddy....

way ta slay....

Carnage...sweet carnage

Ohhhh yeah....got ya sum : )

Congrats on the hard earned efforts !

ghetto dad
08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
NICE fish man!! thanks for that report!!