View Full Version : Battling Big Barries Because Bass-Bite Bombed 7/26 & 28

JapanRon
07-29-2010, 09:07 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/0728ShtRpt10P1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/0728ShtRpt10P2.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/0728ShtRpt10P3.jpg

Fishbones
07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
aw the slime Ron, those things eat plastics for breakfast,,,,lol sweet write up once again, keep up the good read.

flytyingreloader
07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Is your actual water temps (52*-56*) for real? Small wonder the pelagics are staying away, if so. That's like February-March. At least the barries came out to play.

Global warming.........right.

JapanRon
07-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi flytyingreloader,

Thanks for calling my attention to that !! Actually on the 'Shoe' temps varied from 56.2 all the way up to 56.7 !! It was around 54 degrees on the FLATS !! Even colder !!

Sometimes my corrections don't TAKE .... really wierd computer editor glitch. Another wierd thing is what I put in bold and regular type in the weather section .... gets reversed in the conversion to jpg's !!

JapanRon

JapanRon
07-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi fishbones,

Actually not on these two days as I went through a lot of colors to get to the right color (circled). But, as you say, once the key is found .... it can go from every cast to simply overwhelmingly outfishing other types of bites. Had both these experiences on these two trips.

As a note .... the July Toss didn't develop but I expect the August trip to be a go !! Hope you ...... and other C & R guys make it out this time !!

JapanRon

murrieta angler
07-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Howdy Ron!
Nice report as usual.
I found your swimbait fix to be very interesting. Did you figure that out on your own, or was some wisdom passed down to you. Doesn't really matter, I will definately give it a try one day.
I've been craving the salt water, as I have been in Minnesota the last 10 days.
Did hit up the Mighty Mississippi for some Channel Cats, Sheephead and some Sucker Minnows.
But they just don't compare to ocean fishing!
Thanks again for the report and pics,
Robert

troutdog
07-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Another stellar write up with lots of good information...FNN is a better place because of JapanRon's reports! :Thumbs Up:

TD

JapanRon
07-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi murrieta angler,

Being an inventor from the age of 6 ... with 34 pat pendings to my credit I just basically think differently than most folks. But ... in this case, I saw how the old wooden jointed plugs were put together and put that together with seeing various toys with heads and arms attached to the body with springs and ....... there you go !! Truth is ..... at Home Depot they have a bag of springs with a wide variety of spring diameters and strengths that you can play around with to get the right 'action' you'd like !! I did the ballpoint pen example as that's something that is often at hand !!

Thanks for the reply and await your next report/thread,

JapanRon

JapanRon
07-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi troutdog,

Thanks. We have lots of talented folks here who are willing to put in the time and effort to enhance one anothers fishing enjoyment and just plain ol' commradrie !!

Lucky us ........

JapanRon

Ifishtoolittle
07-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Nice job on the logs!

BrandonFish
07-30-2010, 03:17 AM
the water took a dump on us good thing the cudas were on the chew nice write up were gonna have to do the tubing soon great write up

Brandon

DockRat
07-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Actually on the 'Shoe' temps varied from 56.2 all the way up to 56.7 !! It was around 54 degrees on the FLATS !! Even colder !!
JapanRon

Ice Water !

Global Cooling
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/gjaflyer/berg0013.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj296/hco12345/al%20gore/al-gorehappy.jpgDR

JapanRon
07-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Hi Ifishtoolittle,

Very often I've found that the 4" plastics I most often use seem to attract, on average, a smaller grade of fish. But recently on 3 trips (excepting last trip) ..... I've caught cuda that have been bigger than the JP winner. I've also noticed that the bigger fish I've caught have been nearer the bottom on a slow grind. May be just conditions but ......

Thanks for the reply. Gonna hit Catalina Mon ..... wish me luck on ..... nah ... I won't say it !! :)

JapanRon

JapanRon
07-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Hi Brandonfish,

Nice job on the JP Brandon ........ the three of you plus Art and Roger ...... make a JP killin' machine !! Glad I don't get in !! Look forward to the Catalina trip Monday and should add some plastics ONLY caught fish to the list.
Once you get your tube up and running, we'll have to make a run on a couple of spots I know ain't tubed that often or accessed for that matter !

JapanRon

JapanRon
07-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi Dockrat,

I'm afraid the Sandbass rush is over ....... pray for a kick-start of warmer water next week. I'm soooo tired of the gar!

Await your next report,

JapanRon

shioda
07-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Great report as always JR.

Went out on the Enterprise on the 28th with clients. They both got some cuda, but I don't want to fish for them, since I only fish for what we are going to eat. Anyway, endured the same poor bass fishing you did, landing only one short calico. Was using 15 lb Seagar and lost 4 swimbaits when cuda bite right through the leader. I really thought I could avoid them using red swimbaits and fishing down deep, but not the case. The cuda were there for the taking if anyone wanted to catch them. One thing that pissed me off was that my client was using one of my reels and got tangled with others, including one guy with a cuda on. Someone cut all the other lines. I looked at my reel and half the line was gone. What a bunch of BS that was.

JapanRon
07-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Hi shioda,

Thanks.

Similar story. There's this one jerk in our club that every suffers. He came over next to my number when the usual guy was somewhere else and dropped down his 80lb test rockcod rig of 2 leadhead/swimbaits (extended out from leader) with bait piled on them tied using 80lb test mono line.
All the knots had inch long tags so when he pulled up two nothing fish he tangled my line (braid) and it was impossible to get out of his garbage.
Finally gave up myself and cut my line to splice when someone pull the line that was in the water out of my hand and $5 worth of 2 1/2 ounce leadhead and 6 inch swimbait and 100 ($10) feet of braid went down the drain.
I have not had a tangle with anyone with the braid in 8 months ..... I am so careful. This guys does that to everybody and just laughs and says something like that's part of the game !!
I quit fishing 30 minutes early while everyone ....... including decks and captain just shake their heads. What a tool !!

You can bet this guy will never fish next to me again !

JapanRon

marzocchi
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
iNIce report again Ron. See you out there somtime.

danny_fromthebow
08-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi JapanRon,
I'm an FNN registered newby but have been a long-long-time nonactive follower and I've always enjoyed your informative reports. Regarding your swimbait fix-it, have you ever tried placing the small piece of spring positioned just in front where the hook exits as a preventive measure for swimbaits getting yanked? You have to screw the spring from the top of the swimbait's back far enough to clear the neck of the lead head. Its almost like placing a vertebrae.
Thanks again for your past and present reports!

JapanRon
08-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi marzocchi,

Yes, that woud be great !

JapanRon

JapanRon
08-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi danny_fromthebow,

Nothing wrong with being a lurker !! Lots of us kinda test the waters before we take the plung .... so to speak !!

JapanRon

shioda
08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi marzocchi,

Yes, that woud be great !

JapanRon

Be careful JR. I filed a provisional including that aspect as a claim