PDA

View Full Version : Bbl 7-23-2010

LASTCAST
07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Sorry for the late post but its been a busy week so here we go. Went to big bear with my Brother on Friday and had a great time the fishing was w/o. we caught 17 trout between the two of us and 1 smallmouth bass. we keep our limt of trout and release all the others unharmed including the smallmouth. The bite was w/o in the morning and pick up again from about 2 to 4 pm. The biggest trout of the day was caught by my brother 18 1/2 inches the second biggest belong to me at 16 1/2 inches. We had a couple of 15 inchers and the rest were stocker sized. highlight of the day was my brother hooking into a huge fish we don't know what it was because it broke off after about a 2 min fight. but man I've never seen a freshwater fish take drag like that before. at one point it took off for about a good 20 seconds before it gave him a chance to reel any line in and then it took off for another 10 seconds or so before it broke off he had on 6lb test. I dont have to much experince fishing for trout so this question might sound a little off but do any of you know if any other type of fish besides trout eat powerbait because I cant see a trout running like that unless it was huge. I was thinking maybe a big carp or catfish? anyways thats about it all trout were caught on powerbait and the smb on a kastmaster. Sorry no pics dont have a camera right now.

4_D_ HALIBUT
07-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Catfish will eat just about anything if they are hungry. I know that BBL has it's share of nice sized cats...... could be.

Fishbones
07-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the site, Congrats on the smb and trout.thanks for sharing your fishing adventures
I think it was a catfish, really common for them to eat the powerbait.

Simplyeman
07-27-2010, 11:51 PM
great reports coming out of BBL glad to see people picking off trout!!

Fishing the North or South shore if you don't mind me asking.

Cameron
07-28-2010, 10:52 AM
everything seems to be north west end of the lake.I still havent got a trout out of the lake but i have been lazy.I did hit a couple on the santa anna with the kids yesterday.I will hit the dam this evening again with the slip bobber or maybe Ill stay closer to home for some catfish,see my problem,lol.Thanks for the report.Oh & boat traffic is heavy on the weekends in case ya all forgot.Good Luck.

LASTCAST
07-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the welcome Fishbones and thanks for your guys input. I was thinking possible catfish also. Guess I'll never know. And we were fishing the south side of the lake in the morning and the north side in the afternoon.

Elkubano13
08-02-2010, 11:19 PM
got any good tips? gunna hit up big bear later this week and ive never trout fished before...

seal
08-03-2010, 08:27 AM
That could have definitely been a trout, big fish planted for tournaments turn into BIG holdovers and at BBL those HO's fight like hell!