PDA

View Full Version : 7/24 with Davey’s Locker – Skiff then Twilight

EL_CHIDO
07-26-2010, 08:24 PM
I had the perfect plan for my GF and I to hit Newport Harbor on a skiff during the day and then board a Twilight charter for some Sand Bass. We still had our Rain Check passes from the failed Giant Squid mission some months ago, and they were burning a hole in my tackle box.
We get to Davey’s around 8:30 and get our skiff till 2pm. First stop is for some live bait at the opening of the harbor. We load up and decide to stay in the area close to the southern rocks. We mix it up for a few hours with live bait and 3” Big Hammers.
First catch of the day – a mini Halibut chops the BH, the dark colors worked well (dark green lead head/with #41 chovy).
I keep these color combinations making sure to smear with Unibutter and they prove to be the winners, catching all of my fish on the swim baits; live bait did nothing.
Next, I lock up with two Topsmelts/Jacksmelts? (somebody please confirm – the mouth/teeth looks a little too big as well as the pectoral fin)
Finally, make my way back to the dock and stop near the yachts and hook up a small spottie.
Wonderful experience on the skiff, my GF loved it even though she didn’t catch but got to try out her new camera, and we will be doing this often.
BTW – all were safely released.
We rest up and prepare for the Twilight trip. We load up @ 7pm on the Freelance with about 50 on board and we get a choice spot on the back. As we’re leaving, the Captain comes over the speaker to announce to the plan – we’re headed for Long Beach to join the rest of the fleet cause they’re ain’t nothing cracking in Newport.
It would be a long 2 hour cruise through some VERY chopping waters. We’re getting sprayed left and right and everyone was getting soaked. Quite a funny ride down as everyone is laughing it up with each big spray.
Finally get to the grounds and let ‘um go. We stay in the same spot for most of the trip with only a few bass biting. Nothing going on, and my gf decides to chill out, so I decide to get one of those tasty double cheese burgers. Man, you cannot beat those. She stays in the galley and takes a nap while I try to redeem myself so I head back out.
The clock is ticking and I’m fearing a white stripe on my back just as the captain tells us to bring ‘um up and we move a short distance and IT’S ON!
Everyone starts hooking up as I send some strips of squid down and get nailed hard by a 4 ˝ pounder, which will be my biggest and the boat’s 3rd biggest, so no JP for me. I end up getting 3 more smaller ones sticking to the squid. We could have gone a few more hours but it was getting late and we still had to head back to Newport. The count was 147 sandies for 49 anglers.
The next day and it’s time to cook these bad boys. I will put in the recipe section – “Chipotle Lime Sand Bass”

TFC_arvilJDM
07-26-2010, 08:47 PM
That sir, is a lizard fish.

fisherman from long beach
07-27-2010, 07:55 AM
a wtg on the skiff and the nice sand bass.but you got to get the gf on some fish.thanks for the report

EL_CHIDO
07-27-2010, 09:39 AM
A lizardfish, eh? Interesting...

Yeah, I know, F.F.L.B, I was doing my damnedest on the skiff and the FL but she knocked out just as the captain found them bass.

There is always next time.

ghetto dad
07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
GREAT day of fishing brother! thanks for the report!

GD

JapanRon
07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Hi EL CHIDO,

Beautiful Lizardfish !! Nice job getting out on the skiff. Got a question.

How much is an 8:30 to 2pm ride on the skiff put you back. Heard they were expensive !!

JapanRon

calico killer kevin
07-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Hey man, how's it going? I was fishing on your right, never knew you were from here. If you don't remember me, we were tossing swimmies defore the trip. Did better than me LOL. See ya around.

EL_CHIDO
07-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi EL CHIDO,

Beautiful Lizardfish !! Nice job getting out on the skiff. Got a question.

How much is an 8:30 to 2pm ride on the skiff put you back. Heard they were expensive !!

JapanRon

Hey JR,
It was $75 for half day - split it with a buddy and it comes out to be the same as a half day on a boat :)

Hey man, how's it going? I was fishing on your right, never knew you were from here. If you don't remember me, we were tossing swimmies defore the trip. Did better than me LOL. See ya around.

Yeah, I remember you guys, y'all were cool, I cheered you with a mini shooter of Rum. HAHA.
You or your buddy jumped in the water, right?

EL_CHIDO
07-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey JR,
Yeah, I remember you guys, y'all were cool, I cheered you with a mini shooter of Rum. HAHA.
You or your buddy jumped in the water, right?

Oh wait, next to me on the Charter. Yeah, you guys were cool too! Either you or your buddy hooked up first and I asked what you got um on and you said squid. After that, I stopped using choves and got my 4. THANKS!

Fishbones
07-27-2010, 09:23 PM
sweet outing bro, congrats on the bass, thanks for sharing.

KILLA
07-28-2010, 08:25 AM
congrats on a multi-species day, way to slay'em. Looks like you caught the family in order on the twilight.

Tight Lines

KILLA

EL_CHIDO
07-28-2010, 09:14 AM
sweet outing bro, congrats on the bass, thanks for sharing.
Thanks Fishbones, it was a great day.

congrats on a multi-species day, way to slay'em. Looks like you caught the family in order on the twilight.

Tight Lines

KILLA

Thanks KILLA, it's always good to get a mix, especially one you never got before.

I think I missed the "Grandfather" on the Twilight - I felt a BIG pulled but then he was gone.