PDA

View Full Version : Heading to "Yellowstone" for some fly fish'in.......

Anglerfish
07-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Gonna be heading out to "Yellowstone" next week for a Vacation with the wife and some friends, and I was wondering if anyone had any tip's on the types of flies most productive there? I hear the "Stone or Salmon fly" is pretty good this time of year? I've never been there so I'm going in kinda blind! I have been reading online, certain types of flies for this time of year, but was hoping to hear something from someone who's been there!

perch
07-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Gonna be heading out to "Yellowstone" next week for a Vacation with the wife and some friends, and I was wondering if anyone had any tip's on the types of flies most productive there? I hear the "Stone or Salmon fly" is pretty good this time of year? I've never been there so I'm going in kinda blind! I have been reading online, certain types of flies for this time of year, but was hoping to hear something from someone who's been there!

Hey Anglerfish I live in wyoming and im about 3 1/2 hrs from yellowstone. Sorry I cant help you out much on fly fishing I do some but not as much as I used to.

If your going through Jackson Hole, Wyoming in to Yellowstone there is an Orvis fly shop, Jack Dennis fly shop and some others but the top 2 places to get some flies and some good information would be at both of these fly shops. Jack Dennis is a world famous Fly fishermen and has lots of fly tying books and other stuff out on the shelves for sale.

Only problem with an fly shops are that the flies are fairly expensive. Only thing I look at is a vacation and never know when you might get back so getting the right flies is worth it to me if it means the difference between fishing and Catching some fish.

Make sure to check your regulations as I think you have to have a seperate fishing liscense to fish in Yellowstone and alot of it is No lead weighted flies, sinkers and jigheads. Just call or look on line and you should be able to get all the info you need before you go and will make things alot easier.

Good luck and hope your yelling FISH ON all day

Anglerfish
07-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the Info Perch!!! I'm going into Yellowstone through the West entrance. Know of any fly shops on that side? Thanks for the heads up on the reg.'s part. I've been trying to find a place online that gives me the reg.'s for the different parts of the "Madison" and of "Fire Hole"! I don't know how true it is, but somebody was telling me that there is different rules for different sections of the river??? I guess I'll spend the next few days researching more info since it seems like this trip is going to be way different then just flippin a line out...LOL!!!!

Thanks again Perch.......

fishinone
07-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I fished it years ago in the summer. I stopped at a Ranger Station and asked about fishing they said that all I needed was a permit to fish in the Park. If I remember right, they gave it to me.

Streamers should work. I caught Cutthroats on a red rooster tail. I hadn't taken up fly fishing yet.

I would expect big terrestrials to work well this time of year too.

Anglerfish
07-26-2010, 10:28 AM
I fished it years ago in the summer. I stopped at a Ranger Station and asked about fishing they said that all I needed was a permit to fish in the Park. If I remember right, they gave it to me.

Streamers should work. I caught Cutthroats on a red rooster tail. I hadn't taken up fly fishing yet.

I would expect big terrestrials to work well this time of year too.

I'll have to keep that in mind "Fishinone"! From what I have reaserched, the Big Terrestrails, should be one of the Hot ticket items this time of year!!! Thanks

Hoshnasi
07-26-2010, 10:41 AM

I've never been, but I have heard about some of the fly shops and "elevated" pricing for what it working. Do you have a decent fly collection to begin with? If so it might just be a matter of figuring out what insects are out there.

But, if you have no idea whats hatching?

1. Wooly Bugger
2. Elk Hair Caddis
3. Parachute Adams
4. Stonefly nymph
5. Prince nymph

Of varying sizes and colors.

Anglerfish
07-26-2010, 11:05 AM
I've never been, but I have heard about some of the fly shops and "elevated" pricing for what it working. Do you have a decent fly collection to begin with? If so it might just be a matter of figuring out what insects are out there.

But, if you have no idea whats hatching?

1. Wooly Bugger
2. Elk Hair Caddis
3. Parachute Adams
4. Stonefly nymph
5. Prince nymph

Of varying sizes and colors.

Right on "Hoshnasi"!! I don't have a great big variety of flies, but I have a brother who's a diehard fly guy, and I'll be borring some of his stuff. I did see a couple of places near there to purchase some flies, but when I seen the prices, had to change my mind and start researching. From $2.65 up to $4.00 for a fly, had to tell myself to raid bro's fly stash....LOL!!!

flyforfish21
07-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Hey Anglerfish,

I'm heading up there this week, leave thursday for two weeks. There is a lot of great shops up there that can help you out.

As for hatches, check out blueribbonflies.com

I shop there when im on vacation and those guys are nothing short of stellar! check out the fishing blog for up to date info. I would say what you are going to use will depend on where you fish is the park as each river/stream fishes entirely different than the next. Terrestrials should be heating up shortly, although with the colder weather, they are a little late this year. I'd bring plenty of caddis imitations, pale morning duns, one of the most versatile flies up there is the sparkle dun (in several color pattern). The best thing to do is check out the local forums and see whats working. Some stand by patterns of mine include in no particular order: Elk hair caddis, prince nymph (not beadhead or you catch whitefish up the *****), seredipity nymphs, sparkle dun, PMD's (pale morning dun), Blue winged olives, Parachute adams, Hoppers, ants, pheasant tail nymphs, caddis nymphs. Those should cover most situations unless the trout are particularly selective that day. Good Luck! It's a great place to fish

Geoff

Anglerfish
07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Hey Anglerfish,

I'm heading up there this week, leave thursday for two weeks. There is a lot of great shops up there that can help you out.

As for hatches, check out blueribbonflies.com

I shop there when im on vacation and those guys are nothing short of stellar! check out the fishing blog for up to date info. I would say what you are going to use will depend on where you fish is the park as each river/stream fishes entirely different than the next. Terrestrials should be heating up shortly, although with the colder weather, they are a little late this year. I'd bring plenty of caddis imitations, pale morning duns, one of the most versatile flies up there is the sparkle dun (in several color pattern). The best thing to do is check out the local forums and see whats working. Some stand by patterns of mine include in no particular order: Elk hair caddis, prince nymph (not beadhead or you catch whitefish up the *****), seredipity nymphs, sparkle dun, PMD's (pale morning dun), Blue winged olives, Parachute adams, Hoppers, ants, pheasant tail nymphs, caddis nymphs. Those should cover most situations unless the trout are particularly selective that day. Good Luck! It's a great place to fish

Geoff

Thanks a bunch for all the info "flyforfish"!! Thats exactly what I've been reading so far in my search. Hopeing to have a great trip, and hopefully some great photo's. Good luck on your trip as well...........

Billy Bass
07-26-2010, 06:24 PM
I know that on the DIY channel (Do it yourself) on direct tv, they had a hour program called "Fly fishing in Yellowstone". Maybe you could get on the Internet and find this archived somewhere. It was very informative

Slick Rick
07-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Tried a quick google search with no luck... that would have been to simple anyway, lol
I'll keep trying though

I know that on the DIY channel (Do it yourself) on direct tv, they had a hour program called "Fly fishing in Yellowstone". Maybe you could get on the Internet and find this archived somewhere. It was very informative

Slick Rick
07-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Sorry for just jumping in...

I will also be going on this trip with Anglerfish. Another week and I'll be packing my bags... CANT WAIT!!