PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierras Trip: June Lake Loop Area advice

Kalicos
07-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey guys,
my family and I are going to the June lake loop area in a week and a half. We are staying at a cabin near June Lake. i was just wondering how the fishing conditions are right now. I've done extremely well fishing tubes, power worms and jerkbaits in the Bridgeport/Twin Lakes area, but I feel like the June Lake Loop is a different ballgame. I would really really want to get into some of the cutthroat trout fishery that June Lake offers.

From what I hear, most people are trolling right now. Which brings up the question of whether or not to bring my boat. I have a 17 foot center console, but it is a hassle to tow the 6 hours to the eastern sierras area. Is it worth the effort to bring the boat?

If so, are there slips that can be rented out at the June Lake or Gull Lake marinas?

Thanks a lot guys. Any info would be greatly appreciated. And I'll be sure to post pictures and report when I return.

Rapalaz
07-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey Kalicos iv been going to June lake for the last 4yrs and on August 5Th to the 15Th ill be up there the best advice i can give you is that the cut throat like the needles Red Dot Frog you can get one at any fishing spot up there or at bass pro shop me and my father in-law troll on June lake all the time cutthroat is tuff to catch and most of the time we get limit of trout by 10am and there are alot slips at both marinas i don't see alot of trolling at gull lake but alot float tubbers and bait fishing if you bring your boat would be a good idea but if you don't that's OK too silver lake is also real good hit me up if you have any other question

p.s. on they way up to june lake go up to whitney portal for realy good breakfest and little fish pond for kids and everyone else

SierraPeaks
07-27-2010, 10:40 AM
The lake I've had the most luck on for cutthroats...by far...is Gull Lake trolling a yellow with red/black spot Flatfish 5 to 6 colors back and forth by the big rock with the tree rope swing.

Kalicos
07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks a lot Rapalaz and SierraPeaks for the great insights. i'll definitely be sure to check out whitney portal as well.

flytyingreloader
07-28-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't go to June Loop or Bridgeport WITHOUT my 17' CC boat. The smaller lakes are a hassle with a boat that size, but June--Silver--and Grant are DEFINITELY worth having your boat along for.

DON'T take the boat up to Whitney Portal. Leave it in Lone Pine.

Rapalaz
07-28-2010, 09:55 PM
your welcome so what dates r u going again

Kalicos
07-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm leaving for June Lake the 5th of August until the 8th.

SierraPeaks
07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't go to June Loop or Bridgeport WITHOUT my 17' CC boat. The smaller lakes are a hassle with a boat that size, but June--Silver--and Grant are DEFINITELY worth having your boat along for.

DON'T take the boat up to Whitney Portal. Leave it in Lone Pine.

Yeah....what Mr. Flyloader said....DO NOT attempt to tow anything up to Whitney Portal. You'll wish you'd died and gone to hell instead.

Rapalaz
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
ill be in lone pine on the 5th staying at the hostel then June lake on the 6th to the 15th when you go trolling the on the 6th you will see a green lund with two guys ill be one of them trolling me and my father in-law are always the first ones on the lake but when your up there good luck on the troll and fishing oh the bait to use is like everyone is useing now green garlic and the best bait fishing is by the beach next to the hwy or next to the weeds left of the marina so good luck and keep fishing