PDA

View Full Version : Ventura Harbor 07-24-10

187fish
07-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Myself and a couple of buddies have been working Ventura Harbor the last couple of weeks in search of halibut and today I landed the first and only fish of the day. Unfortunately the halibut was too small and he was released to grow bigger. I was using a drop shot setup with a 1/4oz sinker, 1/0 straight shank hook, and a Gulp 5" jerk shad in new penny color. We were fishing just down from the harbor entrance on some rocks. The tide was pretty low and I think that may have contributed to the lack hookups. I did hook into two other fish, but lost them in the rocks without getting to see them. I'm going to keep trying until I land a butt of legal size, maybe next time. Thanks for reading,

Chris

fishshep
07-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Always good to keep trying !!!
Persistance always pays off .
Be looking forward to your legal
reports !!!

flyngby
07-24-2010, 08:30 PM
I am always amazed at what size of bait a fish will attempt to eat!

Keep throwing your arms off out there and eventually the legal will come your way!

Which Way Out
07-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Keep up the great reports. Its always nice to hear what is going on within driving range.

Reaxion
07-25-2010, 05:58 AM
hey man nice to see some stuff from my neck of the woods! I know that spot well, it's right across from the harbor patrol building right?

187fish
07-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys, the spot is close the CI Museum, just on the other side of the dirt parking lot. Years ago, I used a different color shad bait that seemed to work better but I can't remember what it was. Any suggestions as to what a better color than new penny might be?

Reaxion
07-26-2010, 11:18 AM
so then you guys were off the spinnaker dr. side rather then the pierpoint blvd. side of the harbor? I'm new to saltwater been a freshwater guy my whole life so I'm just trying to figure out some spots where I might be able to hook into some fish.

187fish
07-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Reaxion, we were fishing on the Spinnaker side. I have fished on the Pierpont side as well. Either side will produce fish for you. Hit me up if you ever want someone to fish with or show you some spots.

Reaxion
07-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Ya deffinatly man that would be awesome. I work nights so that kind of puts a damper on how often and what times I'm able to get out but next time I'm able to get out there maybe we can hook up. Thanks man.

bones
07-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Well....I'll be damned if it isn't the guy who turned me onto Ventura harbor! What's up Chris? Guess life in Texas wasn't fishy enough for ya brotha!
Good to see ya back on the west coast. Maybe the next trip north I'll show you the GOOD SPOTS now.....LOL
All in all the harbor has been on the slow side but the monster perch were WFO about 2 months ago. Lot's of big bait back in the keys and now there are two "No Fishing" signs right next to the bait receiver which killed my WSB spot!
We gotta get together sometime and kill some fish........
Tight lines to ya.....

<><-------------MIKE-------------><>

187fish
07-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Bones!!! Long time no fish. I never made it out to Texas. I've been dealing with divorce and a bunch of other BS and just wasn't able to get my line wet for a few years. But I'm back in the game now. Hit me up and we'll go slaying!