PDA

View Full Version : Cattle Boat Question........................

Lunker1979
07-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm looking to do some salt action. I've been doing some research on here but don't want to get stuck elbow to elbow with all the people. Anyone have any recommendations for boats? I'll either drive to Newport or Point Loma areas..........I want to take a boat that leaves at 10pm the night before and comes back the following evening. If not, I'll do the one that leaves in the morning and comes back later in the day. Any recommendations would be great! Thanks again!

Lunker1979
07-24-2010, 01:27 PM
wow...look at all the responses!

Ricky-Ray
07-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Right now since it's the summer if you go on a 3/4 day out of newport or point loma expect to be elbow to elbow during the weekends. If you can get out during the week, lighter loads. Point Loma and Newport have good overnight boat's, most will usually take 25-40 people as max load on overnight trips. It all depends on how big the boat is. Aggressor out of Newport from what I hear is pretty good. Never been on it myself but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

As for Point Loma, they got some pretty good boats too. New Lo Ann, Grande, Holiday just to name a few.

You might also want to consider going to Seaforth too. They got some good overnight boat's Legend, Pac Voayager, Pac Star and what I like about Seaforth over Point Loma and the other 2 big landings is that Seaforth has plenty of parking and it's free also.

Lunker1979
07-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Hey Twebb, thanks for the response but I've been on all the websites for all the places but I was looking for some personal info or recommendations. Thanks Ricky, I'll probably end up going to one of the ones you mentioned. I'll have to look and see where Seaforth is, that one isn't ringing a bell to me. I'd prefer not to "rockfish" either. Oh well, we will see. Thanks again!

smokehound
07-26-2010, 02:23 AM
dana wharf is NOT the place to seek a light load cattle-boat experience.

Especially if you're aiming for a half-price day. The best time for a light-load trip is to go during the fall/winter months.

Dont let that irk you, fishing can be good during winter, and the bass can be caught year-round.

But during the best time of the year, even a lighter load will still be cramped. You wont likely escape the elbow-to-elbow fishing at all til late october.

Ricky-Ray
07-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Seaforth Sportfishing is in Mission Bay. Same exit you take to go to Sea World. Dana Wharf is not bad for an overnight trip. The Sea Horse outta Dana Wharf is a boat I recommend. It's old but it's crew has a proven track record of getting you on the fish.

If going on an overnight boat that basic rundown is going to be like this at the moment. Since the albies/bluefin are within 1-2 day range most of the San Diego based boat's are going to be offshore hunting for them. If your going on a overnight boat based anywhere from LA to OC area your most likely destination is going to be San Clemente Island fishing for yellowtail, White Sea Bass, Bonito, Barracuda, Bass, and assorted rockfish.

Depending on the size of the boat the usual max load is going to be anywhere from 25-40 people. So there should be plenty of elbow room for everyone.

There's some great fishing going on right now just about anywhere. Over the weekend, bluefin and albies were biting for the SD based fleet, Yellow's were biting at SCI and the WSB were on the chew at Catalina. Take a day off, call in sick or whatever and get out there while the bite is good.

DockRat
07-27-2010, 05:21 AM
Saw a light load on the 1/2 day El Dorado in San Pedro yesterday at the noon switch.
Lots of full sacks and only had about a 15 people on a big boat.
Lots of full sack of bass and cudas from HB Flats.

The nooners had about the same amount of people.

DR

DockRat
07-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Still unable to edit ?

It was the Monte Carlo as seen in earlier post. Not the El Dorado.
DR

Ricky-Ray
07-27-2010, 12:29 PM
I was wondering about that since the ElDo is usually an overnight boat.

apcrew45
07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Hey if your looking for a good overnight boat try the Toronado, great crew and great service. I do not know if you have been on the salt before but I do not recomend it, if this is only your' first or second time. If you have been on the water a couple of times or are just starting I truely recomend the Tradition out of Redondo Sportfishing, I am very partial to 3/4 day or full day boats but I have to say the Tradition does run a tight ship, never loads up on the people and the regulars/crew are really nice and know how to kill fish.

calico killer kevin
07-28-2010, 03:46 PM
You don't want elbow to elbow? Pull out the wallet and dish a little more.

Spectra Sportfishing has been killing it. Limits of calico and sheeps with some WSB tossed in.

Sounds like you don't do a lot of SW trips. Spectra is perfect for newbies.

Lunker1979
07-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. I've been 10 -15 times or so over the years but normally I stick with freshwater. I have all the gear and tackle I just hate fishing next to dirt bags and having to push and shove to get to the sardines and chovies. I just get the bug every now and then to get out on the ocean and catch some different species. Thanks again for the info and I'll post where and how we did when I finally get out there. Thanks again!

glumace
07-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeps, Spectra would be my suggestion as well (I'm a bit biased, sorry!). I take out beginners all the time, just did a great twilight trip the other day with newbies. Here's the report

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?48598-Twilight-Trip-on-the-Spectra-Sand-Bass-and-Sculpin-7-27-10