PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news!!! Belmont pier!!! Bone heads!!!

TFC_arvilJDM
07-23-2010, 05:21 PM
This just in! Live and late breaking! Haha jk.

But as we speak, my little brother (TFC_BigBoi) is slide rigging live sardines off of Belmont Pier and is hooking up on a couple Bone Heads! (Aka BONITA!)

Time to bust out the bubbles & feathers boys teehee!

smokehound
07-23-2010, 06:26 PM
hell yes! Im prob gonna swing by tomorrow morning. gotta oldskool kroc. time to nail some bonito!

DockRat
07-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Do they sell live bait on the pier ?

7 trips to KH for only one Bone Head I am dieing to catch another.
Nothing beats Bones on 6 lb FW set up :Dancing Banana:

After the last drag burner I have no desire to target bass at this time (boring)
Had to re-spool with 8 lb after another lost krocodile 'snap' cast.
Leave the 20 lb set-up in the car.

I'll be there at 4 ish for recon.
DR

xjdesertfox
07-24-2010, 10:20 AM
we were on the pier yesterday(not sure which one) out in newport and the guy next to us was pulling em up like crazy. he wasnt even using bait. He gave us one because we didnt believe it was bonita.

TFC_arvilJDM
07-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Do they sell live bait on the pier ?

7 trips to KH for only one Bone Head I am dieing to catch another.
Nothing beats Bones on 6 lb FW set up :Dancing Banana:

After the last drag burner I have no desire to target bass at this time (boring)
Had to re-spool with 8 lb after another lost krocodile 'snap' cast.
Leave the 20 lb set-up in the car.

I'll be there at 4 ish for recon.
DR

They stopped selling live bait at Belmont for quite awhile now, but a month or so ago, the worker said theyll be selling live bait again soon. Theyre changing up that pier a lot now. New dock for the Aqua Bus & Fishing Charters again!

Fishbones
07-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Aw yeah, its bonita time.,.,.thanks for the report.

187fish
07-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Congrats to your brother on the boneheads. Thanks for the report. I have yet to catch a bonita. Maybe I'll wander down that way sometime.

TFC_arvilJDM
07-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Congrats to your brother on the boneheads. Thanks for the report. I have yet to catch a bonita. Maybe I'll wander down that way sometime.

Just this saturday, one of my uncles slayed em on green feathers, get em!

DockRat
07-26-2010, 07:17 PM
They stopped selling live bait at Belmont for quite awhile now, but a month or so ago, the worker said theyll be selling live bait again soon. Theyre changing up that pier a lot now. New dock for the Aqua Bus & Fishing Charters again!

Been seeing alot of work going on out there. That pier was
I'm suprised not many FNNers are going after them ?
Got to be the best shore based ticket in town ?

People, get on these Boneheads. Those 1 to 3 lb retarded Spotties will be there all year.
Quit wasting time on year round species and target seasonal.

Don't be scared :ROFL:
DR

DockRat
07-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Been unable to ' Edit ' last few days.

Tried to remove the 'That pier was' above and can't ?
DR

TFC_arvilJDM
07-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Been seeing alot of work going on out there. That pier was
I'm suprised not many FNNers are going after them ?
Got to be the best shore based ticket in town ?

People, get on these Boneheads. Those 1 to 3 lb retarded Spotties will be there all year.
Quit wasting time on year round species and target seasonal.

Don't be scared :ROFL:
DR

Hahaha! Oh man, and I had just recently bought a float tube for the harbors too. Guess ill start trolling on my tube next to the pier for some bonies! Cause you know why? Cause I aint scarrrred! LOL!

tree
07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Hahaha! Oh man, and I had just recently bought a float tube for the harbors too. Guess ill start trolling on my tube next to the pier for some bonies! Cause you know why? Cause I aint scarrrred! LOL!

What about when that strong harbor current pulls you out to sea? We'll miss you :(

troutdog
07-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Bonie fishing off the pier with a feather/bubble combo or Kroc is always a blast...have fun!

Been unable to ' Edit ' last few days.

Tried to remove the 'That pier was' above and can't ?
DR

Was having the same issue, try editing when you are in the "go advanced" mode and it should work.

TD

TFC_arvilJDM
07-26-2010, 07:53 PM
What about when that strong harbor current pulls you out to sea? We'll miss you :(

Thanks for caring. But if it does happen, ill cast out a sabiki rig all baited with no sinker, and wait til those dumb sea gulls take the bait. Sea gull sleigh ride back to shore! Yeeehaaaa HO HO HO!

tree
07-27-2010, 08:07 AM
AHAHA! Rig up several Seagulls and you'll have a mighty fine parasail/gullsail.

fisherman from long beach
07-27-2010, 08:33 AM

a bro you dont want to be to close to the piers,because you will be target practice for the anglers on the piers.no joke.lol....

TFC_arvilJDM
07-27-2010, 08:39 AM
a bro you dont want to be to close to the piers,because you will be target practice for the anglers on the piers.no joke.lol....

LOL! I wouldnt doubt it, cause i used to be one of those anglers haha. I always fish the deep end to the right, and when those damn boaters and jet skiers get to damn close and snag my line, ill start tossing out a 4oz torpedo, zzzzzzzzing! SMACK! WooHoo, 10 points for me!

tree
07-27-2010, 08:52 AM
damnnn! you all have some heavy sinkers to be tossin!

btw, is this mack, or bonita?

TFC_arvilJDM
07-27-2010, 08:57 AM
damnnn! you all have some heavy sinkers to be tossin!

btw, is this mack, or bonita?

Thats mack. And these are bonitas, the small one is about the size of the mack in your pic, both are caught off of Belmont last summer on the cuda jigs! Too much fun!

Bonitas are more blue and shinier in color with vicious teeth.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/arviljdm/065.jpg

tree
07-27-2010, 08:59 AM
dangggg! so people are catching actual tuna off of the pier? time to head out there!

TFC_arvilJDM
07-27-2010, 09:06 AM
dangggg! so people are catching actual tuna off of the pier? time to head out there!

Haha, thats correct! Bonitas hit the Krocidiles, chrome/green, blue/green. And off bubbles (clear egg shaped floaters), followed by a 4-5 foot leader with 2 hooked feathers. Perferably green and or yellow.

Go out and give it a try, real fun stuff. Belmont, Redondo, Newport, all those piers.

Swank909
07-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Yep, there were quite a few caught in Newport on Friday

fish4keep
07-27-2010, 09:40 AM

Year round............

tree
07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
what do these feathers look like? Krocs are pretty much kastmasters right?

I thought you werent allowed overhead casting off of piers? how can you guys get your lures out far enough?

xjdesertfox
07-27-2010, 05:33 PM

I thought you werent allowed overhead casting off of piers? how can you guys get your lures out far enough?

lol, i can underhand cast off a pier a lot further than i can overhead cast. just watch the people around you.

and krocs are similar to kastmasters yes.

TFC_arvilJDM
07-27-2010, 05:59 PM

You can find "bonita feathers" at any tackle shop. I just usually make mins with colored buck tail from the local fly shop, sewing string, and super glue, LOL! Works great and a lot cheaper.

Shoot, I still overhand cast anyways -_- unless you have a nice long surf rod to underhand cast, that'll work.

smokehound
07-27-2010, 06:34 PM
bonito are nearly as stupid as mackerel. They will hit anything silvery and moving.

The only difference is, they largely ignore cut bait, and prefer a moving lure.

DockRat
07-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Year round............

Nope, Bonito aren't year round. Spring? summer/fall best.

Been watching these Boneheads for a few years around the port. Usually they swim laps in the channels.
You can time the fish with a watch and in some channels like at Pier F/G LB it is about 150 yards wide and 3/4 mile long. The Bones will pass by then be gone for 8 minutes as they swim a lap, then just like a bus here they come every 8 minutes.

Sometimes a school will be in the same shipping channel doing laps for days.
Sometimes they will follow a school of Macs too. The big ones are alot harder to catch.

See Horatio says 'No Fishing' on general discussion board.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/monksie/My%20personal%20best%20LBG%20FISH/bonnie.jpg Random pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lighthouse2k/Fishing%2005/DecentBonnieJuliannes.jpg Big Bonehead.

DR

DockRat
07-28-2010, 07:01 AM
bonito are nearly as stupid as mackerel.
They will hit anything silvery and moving.

The only difference is, they largely ignore cut bait, and prefer a moving lure.

Sometimes they don't bite.

Maybe the small ones, but the big ones are smart and will follow your lure but not hit it.
Unless your at Catalina with live bait, then it is a different ball game.
Must be bled and iced right away. No Gunny sacks, unless you want catfish or lobster bait.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/khannah2/Fishing/Bonito_001.jpg

fish4keep
07-28-2010, 07:19 AM
I wasn't saying bonitas are year round......

I was quoting tree's statement that they are "catching actual tunas off the pier". Being that macks are mini tunas, they are caught year round.........

bonestock
08-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Are Bonies still hanging around the piers?

Bradakas
08-20-2010, 06:45 PM
I hope. I'm might try tommorrow.

DockRat
08-20-2010, 07:02 PM
WON report says they are in King Harbor. Haven't tried KH in a week. Any news ?

Seen guys tossing Krocs at the Queen Mary public fishing area with no luck.
DR

TFC_arvilJDM
08-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Very "uncommon" but I am at Belmont right now trying to catch some mackerals with cut squid, then my 1st catch is a bone head. ??? They must be hungry.

Other than that, for a live report:

Dines are WFO!

Macks are on a slow bite.

Bone heads are on a weird bite.

Bradakas
08-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Very "uncommon" but I am at Belmont right now trying to catch some mackerals with cut squid, then my 1st catch is a bone head. ??? They must be hungry.

Other than that, for a live report:

Dines are WFO!

Macks are on a slow bite.

Bone heads are on a weird bite.

Very cool, thanks for the info. I'll be throwing a croc this afternoon over there. How big was the bonie btw?

TFC_arvilJDM
08-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Very cool, thanks for the info. I'll be throwing a croc this afternoon over there. How big was the bonie btw?

Sorry for the late response. Bonie i caught was fairly small, but some kid had caught one in a decent size. Where you at the pier? I was there with my FNN shirt haha.

flyngby
08-23-2010, 09:20 PM
A Bone is a Bone except when out fishing for the Ladies!

DockRat
08-24-2010, 06:16 AM
The word on the jetty at King Harbor was last week some dude and his family paid some guy to tow his laundry basket bait tank to the bait barge and get some dines. He then went on to get 30+ Bonito and they said they were big ones.
DR