PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on June Lake Gull Lake Camping/ Fishing

ScottD
07-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Hey guys,

The wife and I are going to be heading up to the June Lake/ Gull Lake area next week. We will be staying there 4-5days and i was wondering what you all thought was a good place to camp with a pop up trailer? Its about 20ft or so. I was considering Gull Lake Campground, but its first come. I also thought about Oh Ridge as well. Any help would be great. I have read various reports on different places, but nothing stood out as the best place.

Also, we will be doing plenty of fishing and i was wondering if anyone had any recent sucess up there and could give some advise on what worked. I would prefer shore fishing, but i plan to rent a boat one or two days. I am up for fishing any of the lakes in the loop if one stands out as better fishing right now. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks,
Scott

SierraPeaks
07-22-2010, 11:15 AM
If you can get a spot on Gull...you can't do any better. You're literally right on the lake and you can pull your boat right up to your campsite...(if you get a lakeside campsite...but the other side of the road isn't too bad either). Also...Gary allows you to keep a rented boat overnight at your campsite too. It sure makes it nice to wake up and have your boat 5 feet from you. If you can't get a spot there...Silver Lake has a really nice campground too. Get a spot on the creek if you can. Campsites 20, 27, 28, 31, 40, & 41 are great....and 41 is the best in the campground.

Personally...I don't care for any of the June Lake campgrounds. They are too close together and are run by dictators.
They'd probably kick you out if you fart too loud.

As far as fishing...all the loop lakes are hot right now. My buddy bagged an 8 pound bow last week at Gull and followed that up with a 6 pound Brown at Silver the next day and a 19 pound stringer at June the 3rd day. He got the Alpers on a black & silver Rapala...the Brown on a frog pattern Needlefish and slayed 'em at June with crawlers and yellow powerbait and a gold Flatfish.

ScottD
07-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Ok thanks for the heads up. Yeah Gull Lake Campground would be our #1 spot, we are going up on Monday, so i am hoping that the weekend crowds will be gone by then and we can get a good spot. Do you know for the fish report if the rapalas were trolled with lead core? or just straight surface troll?

SierraPeaks
07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Ok thanks for the heads up. Yeah Gull Lake Campground would be our #1 spot, we are going up on Monday, so i am hoping that the weekend crowds will be gone by then and we can get a good spot. Do you know for the fish report if the rapalas were trolled with lead core? or just straight surface troll?

Yes...he was trolling lead core around 6 colors. The fish are fairly deep right now due to the recent heat wave. The surace temps are like bathwater.

Brian_GSC
07-23-2010, 04:43 PM
I've always stayed at Oh Ridge simply because it is the only campsite up there where you can make reservations. Its not the nicest campground, or the prettiest, but it works. I just don't want to drive all the way up there from LA and find out all the campgrounds are full.

I'd love to stay at Gull, those sites look NICE!

Good luck!!!