PDA

View Full Version : Rpt Wed. 07-21-10 Off the Charts Local Bass'n!

Tunaslam
07-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Fishing Wednesday, 7-21-10, with Lal on his 18’ boat “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Sunset Harbor in Huntington Beach at 5:45 am, with our destination being the Pipe, in Newport Beach. For a change there were calm seas, and a tiny bit of swell. The only negative; was a misty Marine Layer, and with no wind shields, an in your face wet shower. Consequently, the ride down to the pipe was not as pleasant as it should of been?

OK, so we both thought: this is July 21, 2010, and this must be an offshore Tuna trip, or a Kelp Paddy hopping, Yellowtail trip, or maybe just a Coronado Islands or Catalina Yellowtail trip? No, it was a just another Bass hunting trip, as disappointing as that must seem this time of year? Now it was only a few days ago when it was over 100 degrees on land, and everyone was seeking the sanctity of the beach, with a cool ocean breeze? Then why are we feeling the chill that normally comes with winter fishing? We never saw the Sun today, and rarely did the jackets or sweatshirts come off. Where oh where did summer go, no it can’t be late July, can it?

Oh well, it only gets better from here on today! This was just one of those days when weather, currents, water temps, tides, and conditions come together. The Bass were on the chew and it didn’t matter where you fished, as long as you found the structure they were hanging on.

On both of our first casts, we were each hit on the fall, both of us bringing in a 1-2 pound Sand Bass. Cast again, same story, wow! We had no less than 15 doubles in the first hour, as neither of our plastics seemed to ever made it down to the bottom. If we didn’t hook the Bass that grabbed our plastic, a few winds on our reels produced another bite, short bite, then wind again and wham, fish on! It was almost stupid fishing? We must be in another time zone? This is supposed to be Tuna time, right? So who’s complaining, we didn’t have to buy bait, we didn’t have to run 30 or 40 miles offshore, and we didn’t have to get up at 1am to target the fish. What can we say, but enjoy the moment, fishing rarely gets much better locally. It was quantity not quality today, yet so much fun!

Lal with a 3 pound Sandy!

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/2/103504100_106110389.jpg

Myself with a decent size Sand Bass.

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/2/103504100_104610391.jpg

We found fish at the Reef, the Pipe, and the flats. At 8:30 am with over 85 Sand Bass and 15 Calico Bass released, we elected to run to Izor’s Reef for hopefully some bigger fish, as our biggest so far was only 3 pounds, always something else for a fisherman to wish for, more or bigger, gad are we never satisfied or what? Actually still dreaming about Tuna and Tails.

We metered a whole lot of fish at Izor’s, with a only a few willing biters, such as this Sandy caught by Lal.

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/2/103504100_106210390-med.jpg

I guess I was getting tired, as while holding this Sandy it looks like I was falling asleep. Don’t think I was bored though, maybe, no never, not with this kind of bite?

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/2/103504100_104710392.jpg

We noticed the fleet off in the distance, near a Tanker, not far off the Long Beach wall. Set up a drift in between the fleet, and watched the various Sport Boats land a whole bunch of Sand Bass and a couple of Barracuda. I tossed the iron for awhile with no biters. We metered a lot of fish, however, I believe in this area they only wanted live bait, as we caught a few fish each on the plastics, they didn’t even want the ones tipped with squid?

Gave up on this area and cruised by the Victory, as we waved to Ron, he held up a nice Sandy he had just landed. We then headed back to Izor’s to finish up the day. Caught another bunch of Sand Bass and called it a day at 1:30 pm. Our final count nearing 150 mixed Bass released, totally unreal fishing today. We both went through a bunch of plastics, mostly 4” Clear Red Flakes, however, with such great fishing, we both tried on other colors and sizes and they all got bit today.

Water temps at the most of the areas we fished were 66 to 67+ degrees, and very clear for local fishing. As sweet as it gets!

Thanks again Lal, another incredible Bass’n adventure on the Rubber Ducky!

Hook up! Cory

flyngby
07-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Rubber Ducky pulls off another great day amongst the big guys!

Thanks for the report!

Fishbones
07-21-2010, 09:45 PM
awesome report and trip, i think we are all missing the tuna and wondering whats up with this weird season.

cheeseguy
07-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Great Report Thanks!

JapanRon
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi Tunaslam,

Great report as usual !! Great getting out there with the bite so crazy !! I'm a little jealous .... you caught some Calicos and I didn't .....er ...... the boat didn't catch ANY Calicos !! I'm guessing you got them down on the Pipe.
Still .............. 1 Calico is worth 5 Sandies on my preferred scale. :)

JapanRon