PDA

View Full Version : HOT!!!! AT Big Bear or not.... 16th - 18th

Racerzf
07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Went to big bear for summer retreat with my fraternity this past weekend. Have been reading these amazing posts so I thought I'd take the Kayak and leave all my brothers behind to party at our cabin. Took the kayak out Friday and Saturday and swept the entire North shore but only caught two small catfish. So on our last day on Sunday I took my GF shore fishing, and again all I managed was about 10 small catfish.... Im really thinking the massive amount of boat traffic played a huge roll in spooking the fish. Still was alot of fun!!!!

Maybe I didn't use the safest technique in transporting my kayak. But nothing bad happened. Wanted to save gas so I didnt drive up my parents F250 that I usually transport the kayak with.

Cameron
07-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Yea I have yet to catch a summer trout & I live here.Lost a nice 3-4lber last week but took me around a rock & snapped leader off.My buddy & I went sat & sun but no trout.I managed to land a bunch of nice crappie on a mini jig tons of fun.Im gonna hit the lake at first lake & see if I can catch the infamous summer trout.

Fishbones
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
congrats on your catfish catch, those dang BB trout have always managed to skunk me....lol,thanks for sharing.

Calicanuck
07-21-2010, 06:26 PM
I was at the lake on the 20th fishing down by the dam on my kayak and caught about 7. Also had a large one maybe 3-4 pounds snap my line about 6 feet below my boat. Caught one large carp as well. They are there... but I don't understand. I am fishing by everyone else. We're all using slip bobbers and worms/powerbait and I seem to be the only one actually catching my limit. The guys trolling buy seem to be picking up quite a few just on leadcore and needlefish or some other type of spoon, its hard to tell at the distance.

Brandon

seal
07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
What are you using? The bite has been near excellent this year for me, I've been fly fishing with a full sink line. If bait fishing at BBL you always need to take into consideration the thermocline, catching cats makes me think you were using crawlers?

Racerzf
07-22-2010, 11:21 PM
I saw one troller Friday evening catch a 3-4lber, but while in the kayak I tried trolling a kastmaster with lead core while also doing the same with a trout worm. That didnt work, so then I also drifted with night crawlers and powerbait. Only got the two catfish with the night crawlers, Sunday while on the beach all I used was night crawlers trying to get at least something bigger than 1lb lol.

After reading around, I shouldve had a needlefish and should also invest in a meter. Big Bear is pretty tricky and the fishing looks only to be good if you know exactly how to catch them.

Cameron
07-23-2010, 10:40 AM
The local rumor seems to be "its a weird year for summer trout." I have been fishing this lake for years in the summer & always got a lil something on the trout bite.I move up & havent landed a trout yet,lol.Same ol story west end for trout.

diamondbear
07-23-2010, 11:15 AM
The lk. is a afternoon bite now for whatever reason . The therm/octocline says to fish no deeper than say 20-23 ft.[ 4 colors lead ] right now , using a slip bobber[ when bait fishing ] set at these depths MAX. in the west end . Trollers using a silver needle fish or a 2-3 blade flasher with a nite crawler , or a cd rapala flat line in the west end now is the ticket . // db

Racerzf
07-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Ya well ill do my research and attack them b4 the summer is up. but for now, im heading out to go kill the barracuda this weekend!!!!

greeper
07-23-2010, 08:52 PM
this summer blows away last summer for trout, they're pretty much on fire all over the lake. Trolling, drifting, jigs, everything has worked for us.

Cameron
07-23-2010, 08:57 PM
LOL been there done that. i am hoping for a lil luv from the summer trout at my beloved big bear on my birthday.Hittin it at 430 please oh please.

Which Way Out
07-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I did well during the July 4th week shore fishing. North shore 1st boat launch area using floating power baits. Caught a limit one day and over the course of the 10 days I was there I caught 12 to 15 fish overall. Nice fish. I even witnessed the state stocking truck drop 3 loads of fish while there. 3000 pounds per load. That's a lot fish and people say its slow ? That lake should be ready to POP.